MUSIC EXPERTS SAY TED NUGENT’S OUTBURSTS COULD BE DAMAGING HIS CAREER

Ted-Nugent400 Joe Strupp of Media Matters reports:

Ted Nugent’s recent spate of offensive and racist comments that have sparked protests and canceled shows are damaging his image and could well cripple his income if he continues, according to veteran concert promoters and industry journalists.

In a week when two casinos operated by different Native American tribes canceled three separate Nugent shows set for next month and dozens protested a concert in New Jersey, concert touring experts say the National Rifle Association board member and conservative commentator is doing real damage to his money-earning potential.

“If you’re going to say something political, you’re going to have some backlash, it doesn’t matter who you are or what you say,” said Larry Magid, a Philadelphia-based promoter who has handled Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac, and Bette Midler. “Nugent seems to have taken it to extremes. I don’t know that you can blame anyone for not wanting to play him for all of the baggage that he brings.”

Magid, who also organized the famed 1985 Live Aid benefit show in Philadelphia, said Nugent was never a huge concert draw, but his declaration earlier this year that President Barack Obama is a “subhuman mongrel” may mark a turning point.

“I don’t know if that is frustration at not being a viable act, but it is stupid,” Magid said of Nugent. “If you are a musician, you are trying to bring your music, your art to a broad group of people. It is one thing to take a stance, it is another thing when you are talking about the president of the United States.

“For all of the people enamored with him, there are 20 or 30 or 40 times that who are not enamored with him. To me, it’s not bright. If I’m a promoter I have to think two or three or four times before I take a shot with this performer.”

“No one should be surprised by any of this,” said Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in-chief of Pollstar USA, which tracks concert touring receipts. “It’s a free country and Nugent has always had a big mouth. But if he keeps making incendiary statements his future tours may be limited to NRA conventions and Fox News events.”

Bongiovanni said the public reaction is not unusual: “Why be surprised if you can’t sell tickets to them after you insult people who are gay, animal rights, or gun control advocates, or just in the majority of people who voted for Obama?”

Although Nugent has long been a hardline conservative and pro-gun advocate, his “subhuman mongrel” comments triggered a massive media firestorm and led prominent Republicans to disassociate themselves from the rocker earlier this year. Nugent’s offensive and racist comments have more recently caused a backlash against his concerts.

Among the results:

* Three Nugent concerts scheduled in early August at Native American tribe-owned casinos in Washington and Idaho were canceled this week due to the performer’s commentary. Puyallup Tribe Tribal Chairman Bill Sterud has said Nugent is a “jackass” and will never be booked again.
* Earlier this summer controversy surrounded a concert scheduled for an Oshkosh, WI, music festival after a letter to the editor decrying Nugent’s concert received heightened attention. Nugent subsequently described his critics as “unclean vermin.”
* “Picket signs lined the street” outside a July 22nd concert in New Jersey as Nugent was greeted by “at least 75 protestors.”
* While Nugent will perform at The Toledo Blade’s Northwest Ohio Rib-Off festival next month, the paper’s sales director told Media Matters he had received numerous complaints and strongly suggested Nugent would never be booked again.
* The City of Longview, TX in March canceled Nugent’s concert at a Fourth of July festival and paid him $16,000 (reportedly half his fee) not to show up.

John Scher of Metropolitan Entertainment Consultants, a longtime New Jersey promoter who has booked Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Billy Joel, said he’s never seen such a public backlash in his 40 years promoting concerts.

“I can’t really, really recall this kind of reaction because of political beliefs,” Scher said, later adding, “All in all, I don’t think it can be a plus. Where’s the tipping point? I think he’ll find it will probably shrink to the places where his views are not so contrary to the views of the general population. You might see him doing most of his touring in the south or certain states in the west that are gun-toting conservatives. In the Northeast and in California he is probably not getting booked as much … I don’t see from an overall point of view how he is helping himself.”

Michael Maietta, a promoter at Creative Entertainment Group in New York, which has handled the Neville Brothers, John Popper, and George Thorogood, said the financial impact is obvious when a musician offends so many people.

“Of course it will have an effect on how much money Ted will make going forward if he is not getting booked,” Maietta said via email. “Soft ticket events, such as fairs and township gigs will get pressure not to book him with public dollars.”

Steve Knopper, a Rolling Stone contributing editor who covers the rock concert business, said this is clearly a trend.

“It does seem like, whether it is a movement or people deciding to be offended by this en masse, it seems like it’s having an impact and that can’t be good,” Knopper said. “I don’t know if Ted Nugent’s main source of income is from concerts, but the way right now to make money in the music business is to tour.”

Knopper added, “I’m guessing that he needs to tour to make money and if his comments are preventing him from doing that he may well have to rethink how he handles his public image. He has said some incredibly offensive stuff in the past few years, now maybe it is hitting home.”

Nugent’s latest release album, SHUTUP&JAM! was released on July 8th on Frontiers Records.

source: mediamatters.org

Comments

1. I started to read this but then I saw it was Media Matters.

• Nathan,

While I admit that this is the first time I have ever heard of Media Matters, regardless, this article contains facts. The media experts featured in the piece have decades of experience, and the cancellation of Nugent’s shows by the Native American tribes mentioned, are true.

If you don’t think what Ted says has any ramifications on his career, I have a bridge that I can sell you-LOL!

Dana from ET.com :)

• You’re right, the cancellations are factual. But in my opinion Media Matters is about as far to the left as Nugent is the other way. Last time I checked, we had free speech in this country and why he gets slaughtered on his opinions is sometimes very one sided. Ted’s made his money and I really don’t think he cares what people think about him. I never was a Ted fan musically but I have to support him for expressing his views (which is contrary to most of the entertainment industry). Most of the bands in our rock realm stay away from politics and I also think that’s pretty awesome.

• Writers Rock says:

Nathan, you have every right to ignore Media Matters because they’re to the left of center regarding the issues and events about which they write; however, they are well known in media circles for being unfailingly accurate with their facts. I read sometime ago that one of the reasons that Bill O’Reilly has reduced the number of times that he takes them on publicly on his nighttime Fox show is because he was never able to point out anything the organization got wrong when it posted an article about him and/or his show. He was sounding whiny when complaining about Media Matters, not authoritative and correct.

As for the Motor City Madman, I noted in a post about the last Nugent article on this site that his rants were so offensive to so many people not because of his politics but because of the vicious language he uses when discussing Pres. Obama, Pres. Clinton, Sec. Clinton, gun-control advocates, and immigrants, among others. I don’t think you’ll find many people who believe that Jack Blades’ and Gary Cherone’s conservative opinions have hurt their careers; frankly, I could care less that I’m a liberal, and they’re both conservatives. I’m still a big fan of Nightranger and Extreme, both of which put on tremendous shows at the 2014 M3 Festival in April in Columbia, MD.

Rockers should revel in their political views and express them as often as they want; I truly don’t think that most rock/hard rock/heavy metal fans care. However, if your opinions move to offensive, mud-slinging, prejudice-sounding vitriol, then your free speech will probably result in career-careening consequences. Sweaty Teddy might have crossed that threshold in recent years.

• Absolutely correct Writers Rock,

The delivery of ones thoughts and opinions is just as important as the message itself.

D from ET.com :)

• PJ Schwackhammer says:

That’s a load of horse hockey. Media Matters is a hard-Left pressure group that will lie and distort at the drop of a hat as it suits their political purposes.

• Well then you better check again, because free speech doesn’t mean one is free from the (non-judicial) consequences of that speech. Understand the difference.

• An excellent and very valid point, sar305.

D from ET.com :)

• doug r. says:

I am NOT taking sides here, but why is it, especially in the entertainment world, when a liberal makes a controversial comment there really are no consequences, but when a conservative says something controversial, there are always consequences? Explain that difference.

• Doug R,

Money, and not principle, are mostly what drive consequences in the entertainment world. How that squares with Alec Baldwin’s firing for using a homophobic slur, I just don’t know; a rare show of principle over profit? Perhaps. Or maybe just a convenient excuse for MSNBC to rid themselves of a trouble-laden underperformer. Probably.

Meanwhile, Duck Dynasty, with all of its “controversies”, continues to air. Why? Money.

Otherwise, to answer your (loaded) question: birds of a feather flock together. Artistic, creative types tend to be more progressive. Don’t like it? Then don’t watch or listen, and especially don’t aspire to work with them. Simple.

“Hollywood” isn’t a democracy, and it doesn’t function as a democracy, therefore its dealings shouldn’t be scrutinized as if it were one. You may begin your boycott now.

• sar305,
            I don’t plan on boycotting anything, I never watched Duck Dynasty, (no interest), don’t care about Alec Baldwin, (no interest), bottom line & everybody knows it, Hollywood always has, and always will lean to the left, right, wrong, or indifferent. The reason why you didn’t really answer my “loaded” question is because you can’t. There’s no denying liberals get away with a lot more than conservatives, especially in Hollywood. Liberals get free passes to speak their minds all the time, no matter what they say. If Ted Nugent was a liberal, and made the same exact comments, they would be downplayed, covered up with excuses, brushed off as, eh, just Ted being Ted, -what he meant was-, fill in the blanks. Deny the double standard all you want, but it does exist, and ACTIONS do speak louder than WORDS!

• Doug r,

Think before you write; if Ted Nugent, the hypothetical liberal, made those comments, he WOULDN’T BE A LIBERAL. Understand?

Further, I did answer your loaded question, and from pretty much every angle. Read again, I denied nothing. You’re arguing with a phantom, not me.

• doug r. says:

I’m not “arguing” with anybody, so think before you respond. I’ll explain nice & slow for you. If “IF” a liberal makes “racist” comments, or controversial comments, it gets sugar-coated by the media, understand? Liberals aren’t perfect either, they do make “racist” and controversial comments as well. Case in point, Queen L, have you heard her comments about blacks should kill whites? WHERE WAS THE BACKLASH? THE UPROAR? Well, there wasn’t one, and why? MEDIA PROTECTING THE LIBERALS AS ALWAYS, that’s my point. And once again for the record, I am a proud independent, thank you very much. Have a nice day.

• 1) You’re arguing.

2) Alec Baldwin. Remember your “not caring about him” nonsense? Evidently, my example of a liberal PR blunder and its consequences escaped you. Meanwhile, this would not be the equivalent of Ted Nugent(the liberal?) making the “exact same comments”, as his body of work constitutes a pathology, and not merely a slip-up.

3) You need to sort your arguments before bothering to commit them to the screen. You also need to read/infer more carefully. Apparently, neither are really your…thing.

• doug r. says:

Are you done yet? You obviously are incapable of getting my point, as simple as it is. So since you can’t get my point, maybe you can get a life.

• Says the guy who apparently isn’t done yet…and needs to “get a life”.

See how that works?

• There’s that “DOUBLE STANDARD” again.
            See how that works?

• Double standard? But I’m not the one making the initial claim, therefore there is no “DOUBLE STANDARD”. Understand? There’s that slowness again…

Meanwhile, “are you done yet?”. And, of course: “get a life”.

• doug r. says:

Are you still around? You know what they say about people who keep repeating themselves right? Understand?
            It’s okay Scar, or sar, or whatever, tomorrow’s another day.

• Says the guy who’s still around.

Really, you make this too easy for me…Dug. As in: dug his own hole.

Dude, you got issues.
            O.K., now come back with, says the guy who has issues.
            Is that easy enough for you?
            Now, back to the point regarding Ted Nugent, Ted has said some bad things, but others have said a lot worse with NO consequences, double standard, THAT’S MY POINT! Now do you understand?

• Speaking of double standard: you expect to (hypocritically) tell other people to “get a life”. To ask if they’re “done yet?”, if they’re “still around?”. To remark that they’re “repeating themselves”, etc. And all the while being as guilty as anyone regarding those sophomoric quips.

So to answer your question: Yes, it REALLY is easy enough.

• sar305 I was only speaking to you.
            so to answer your question: you’re guilty of stupidity.
            Yes, that really was easy enough.

• You were “only” speaking to me, so therefore your (unwitting) double standard hypocrisy doesn’t count…in this discussion about double standard hypocrisies. Makes sense. Not. Your breakfast this morning was a hardy helping of your self-defeating words. Enjoy.

Meanwhile, I didn’t ask you a question, and certainly not that “easy enough” nonsense. You can’t even follow a simple thread…

See, that’s what makes YOU stupid, actually.

• doug r. says:

sar305, you’re boring me. You sound like a F’N robot. You never have anything new or
            relevant to say. I’m going to have to put you in my “too stupid to talk to file”. My “only speaking to you” comment, was in response to one of your “brilliant” posts, understand? I have read some idiotic posts before, and seen some really stupid stuff, but YOU take the cake, and EAT IT TOO! It’s time to pull the plug on the sar305 robot, I’m going back now to post with the humans, enjoy your cake.

• “Are you done yet?”
            “Are you still around?”
            “…maybe you can get a life.”
            “…people who keep repeating themselves…”
            “You never have anything new or relevant to say.”

This^ guy is so oblivious it’s hilarious. And all he can do in response is call others “stupid”. I pity him.

• doug r. says:

WOW, and the dumb get dumber! Do you realize all you keep doing is repeating things that I have only said once? Maybe some things twice ONLY because or your incapability of comprehension? So, do you have any more brilliant comments you want to add, or do you just want to keep repeating yourself? And repeating me as well. BTW, the only person I referred to as stupid is you, because obviously you still just can’t get it.

• Beginning a sentence with “WOW” in order to add attitudinal emphasis to one’s point is so…stupid. Along with all that (hypocritical) projection that permeates each and every one of your (failed) posts. Plus, your escalating, desperate frustration is just plain satisfying(for me). Do continue. That’s an order.

• doug r. says:

Obviously, you have to have the last word, so have it! Cheers. :)

• Says the guy who obviously has to have the last word.

Meanwhile, it was YOU who first posed a question; I answered it. Then again. And again. And again. Even if not to your satisfaction(comprehension). So apparently you’ve been vying for the first word AND the last word…while also foolishly quipping about me “having to have the last word”. Double standard. Hypocrite.

• Okay, I am stepping in now :) Let’s all play nice in the sandbox, shall we? Take deep breaths and smile.

Back to the topic at hand..Ted Nugent.

D :)

• Fair enough Nathan,

My belief, anything to any extreme is dangerous.

D from ET.com :)

• There are consequences to free speech. If you say something, you must be prepared to suffer the consequences. If these promoters are feeling pressure to cancel, they will cancel. If Ted is being a complete idiot, he will pay for it.

He can continue to say whatever he feels, but he will also continue to pay the price for that in lost touring revenue. Simple economics.

• jeff heffernan says:

good for uncle ted,its ok when the likes of rev wright,or al sharpten,or l.farakahn,can run there mouths about the white blue eyed devil.thats ok,how come i dont see anyone standing o/s holding up signs,or the media trying to hurt them,no but because a white man is doing it,.and sharing his views now its a problem ,i say good for uncle ted!!!!!!

• Jeff,

Who the heck says it is right when they do that? Every person you just mentioned is a race baiting, ignorant, hateful bigot.

Dana from ET.com :)

• Sharpton and Farakahn are hate filled bigots. I think Jeff’s point is it’s a double standard.

• Nathan,

If that was his point, then I cannot argue with that statement. They should ALL be held accountable for their words/actions.

Dana from ET.com :)

2. Harry Taint says:

Not sure what is left of “his career”. I wouldn’t say opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd at county fair events is that great. No one cares about his albums anymore and his mouth turns most people off except for the fringe element.

He will be fine financially. Fox news always will use him as a “contributor”

So long Ted, you will not be missed.

• doug r. says:

Speak for yourself Harry. First of all, a lot people still care about his albums & his music, although I’ll pass on Shut Up & Jam, but in the 70’s & early 80’s, IMO musically Ted was up there with the best of them. I seen Nugent open for Aerosmith back in ’86 @ MSG, and still to this day, one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. I’ve never agreed with a lot of things Nugent says with his mouth, but I do agree with what he says with his guitar! Right or wrong, he’s still entitled to his opinions & feelings, this is still a free country for all, even Uncle Ted. Love him or hate him, he still rocks! Have a nice day, peace. :)

• Yes, he is certainly entitled to his opinions. But he will face more and more cancellations because the language that he uses is so extremely hateful. There are better ways of making your point. Calling the POTUS a mongrel, is not starting out on the right foot.

• I am speaking for myself Doug.

• doug r. says:

Well, in fairness Harry, you did say NO ONE CARES, so it did sound like you were speaking for others.

• I don’t think there is freedom of speech anymore . Everyone should be entitled to there opinion no matter how offensive it might be. The Mongrel comment wouldn’t mean shit if the President wasn’t black. so many people get “offended” because they want to to be offended.Everything bothers them . No God in school . Can’t say Christmas. Holiday season, Give me a break. All in the Family was one of the best TV shows in history, would never air if it came out today. If Ted came out and called Obama an asshole , would that be considered a racist statement? I’m not a Bible Thumper or Gun nut , but my views might be a little off to some people, but they are my views and I should be entitled to them. But , Ted has sucked since the last Damn Yankee’s album. May the God of your choice bless you all.

• Jamie,

Thank you, you just proved my point that I made earlier, which is, those terms ate tied in with a specific race. That is precisely why Ted’s comments about the President were viewed as racist. Had he made his point without using that specific terminology, his points might have been taken seriously.

Again, yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions and how they say them, just as others are entitled to not like what is being said and how it is being said. If you are going to express yourself in an inflammatory way, you cannot blame others for if they have an equally incendiary response. Actions have consequences, so do words.

Dana from ET.com :)

3. Welcome to America Ted. You can say what you want, but people can react how they want. Getting paid not to show up, and now doing Ohio Rib-Off Festivals…Oye. Bring on the Liberal Elimination Machine or whatever he’s calling himself nowadays. I’m waiting to hear the Fox News spin on this one.

4. JUST A THOUGHT…… maybe ted is saying these outrageous things because in his mind he will get more media exposure and more publicity {he probably doesn’t care if its positive or negative} which again might in his mind make him more of draw especially to the right wing/conservatives ted aligns himself with – just a thought…….

• If true, it was a major miscalculation. And such disingenuousness should only be deserving of overwhelming disapproval, anyways.

• Who is he trying to attract, the white, over 65 crowd? Good luck with those ticket sales.

• doug r. says:

You would be surprised even today how many younger than 65 crowd, of all races, still go to see Ted Nugent, not for his politics, but for his music.
        Same goes for a hardcore liberal like Bruce Springsteen, not everybody agrees with HIS political views & opinions, but most people, left, right, or in the middle like myself, still do and always will love his music.

• Writers Rock says:

Doug R.,

Your inadvertent comparison of the popularity of Nugent and Springsteen is ludicrous. Springsteen (of whom I am not much of a fan) is an arena- and stadium-headliner across the U.S. and in various parts of the world. Outside of a few select areas, Nugent is an opening act for arena headliners, gets placed as a mid-bill festival performer, and headlines small theaters and large clubs (e.g., House of Blues) in select areas of the country. Look at his list of concert venues over the past 30 years, and you’ll see the downhill slide of a once great concert act, and that downhill slide happened long before his strong political opinions became so widespread. He’s killing what’s left of his concert career with his outlandish statements, not his political opinions, but the downhill path of his career began in the early to mid-1980s when his new songs just didn’t catch on with anyone but those who constitute his core audience.

• I wasn’t comparing their popularity, just stating a fact that Ted still has fans of all ages, races, and religions. No, his songs over the last 30 years or so aren’t nowhere near as good as the 70’s/early 80’s, but give him a guitar & a stage, and be prepared to rock!

• ………..Even at 65! :)

• Bmac777 says:

The difference is that Bruce doesn’t go off on ridiculous rants. Nugent is an idiot. What was that gibberish that if Obama got re -elected he would be in jail or something like that. Well , It happened and what did Ted do….NOTHING. G.O.P.= gesture only politics

• doug r. says:

Politically I really don’t care what they believe in, as long as they all believe in Rock ‘N’ Roll, because Rock ‘N’ Roll doesn’t make promises it can’t keep! ;)

5. Anytime a business, especially a retail business, which Ted is(ticket & music sales), takes a hardline stance politically or religiously they take a chance at alienating 50% of their potential customer/fan base. They absolutely have the right to do it but you won’t find any business scholars who thinks it’s a good idea. It’s MUCH easier to save your money and just stay home than it is to show up in support which is almost always a short term thing.

6. 1st Amendment. You’re right bobbyd, publicity is publicity. I think he says things to stir the pot. I’ve only liked a few of his songs and I find it funny that one of them (Fred Bear) he still plays live, yet he gets canceled at native american owned casinos. I’ve never liked when rockers start talking about politics, especially on stage. Even if I agree with them that isnt the time or place. It’s like Don Henley or Chrissy Hines from The Pretenders telling a crowd not to eat meat. That happened several years ago when The Pretenders opened for ZZTop. Lemme tell ya, a bunch of beer-drinking, meat-eating ZZTop fans werent too kind after that. Whatever though. I think the whole Ted Nugent experience has now morphed into political views first and music second. Sad times.

7. Lesbians for nugent says:

Hardy har har har!!!

8. Chookalana says:

Yes we have free speech and you are protected. You are not protected from the ignorant and racist comments that Nugent is known for. He can be racist, but expect consequences.

These Casinos are owned by the same people he is disparaging. I don’t blame them.

• doug r. says:

I don’t know who they are, and don’t want to know, but in passing (blasting out of cars, windows and other things) I heard a lot of rappers blasting George W. Bush and white people in general, and yet there are no consequences, explain that double standard if you will, if you can.

9. doug r. says:

O.K., here we go. First of all, George W. Bush was called a lot worse things than a “subhuman mongrel”, ALOT worse! By a lot of different people, and NONE of them were called a racist, why is that? Ted Nugent uses a bad choice of words, (nobody’s perfect) and he gets called a racist, why? If Nugent is such a racist, why did he acknowledge all of the great Motown and R&B artists that influenced him along his career when he was on TMS? And talk about how many Motown artists he still loves & listens to even today? Yeah right, that really sounds like a racist to me, give me a break. I agree music is no place for politics, music is and should be an escape from politics and all the other bullshit in the world. There should be no politics in music, on record or in concert. I don’t want lectures, speeches, etc., when I listen to a song or go to a show, I just want to have a good time and ROCK & ROLL! :)

• Patrick says:

George Bush was called terrible things because he showed over and over how terrible of a President he was and how terrible of a human being he still is. I don’t recall “Moron” being a racist term, nor “War Criminal” nor “Lying sack of poop” regarding some of the things Bush has been called. Now Obama, on the other hand, has been called many things with the N-bomb being used very liberally (ironically enough) by the most Conservative-minded yet intellectually handicapped individuals. Referring to someone as “subhuman mongrel” who happens to be of mixed heritage is pretty damned racist. Referring to someone as a “spoiled coke-head alcoholic child of privilege who screwed the country over and shat on the Constitution for the benefit of a few of his dad’s former cronies” is likely not nice, but not at all racist, nor entirely a lie. On that note, it isn’t exactly polite (nor at all intelligent) to invite members of government to “suck on my machine gun” while waving one around in front of a crowd. Nor is it very smart to say things like “If Obama wins again I will either be dead or in prison”. See, that kind of ignorant behavior deserves the reactions and consequences that it provokes. I stopped listening to Ted Nugent’s music and got rid of all of his CD’s that I had in my collection because I felt that if I were to continue listening to his music and possessing the CD’s, I was being complicit in his stupidity. Out of respect for humanity, I could not continue to listen to or possess anything affiliated with Mr Nugent,( which really pained me because I really liked his guitar playing!). I am coming precariously close to having to do the same thing with my KISS collection for similar reasons.

• doug r. says:

Patrick, I agree with a lot of what you said, and I myself despise a lot of Nugent’s comments, but I still do & always will to his music,. When I do, that’s all I’m paying attention to, nothing else. Again, same goes for Springsteen, I disagree with a lot of his comments, but musically I love the BOSS, not every song as goes the same with Nugent, but overall, I just love their music.

• doug r. says:

Always will LISTEN to his music, sorry for the typo’s! :)

• Harry Taint says:

We get it Doug, you are a conservative Republican and you like Ted Nugent. To each his own. Have fun with your corn dog, your cotton candy and your Miller High Life at the county fair jamming to Cat Scratch Fever for the 1000th time. Oh, one more thing, please put your shirt back on. No one wants to see that.

• And I thought you were a mature individual? I am NOT, NOT a conservative Republican, I am a Independent. Don’t eat corn dogs, cotton candy, or drink Miller High Life. Yes, I like Ted Nugent’s MUSIC, NO, I don’t like all of his political views, same goes for Bruce, and a lot of others as well. Everybody has the same rights in this country, at least on paper. We get it Harry, whatever you are, you don’t like Nugent’s music, or his Political views, so why are you commenting on him? Because that’s your right, you have yours, and Ted has his rights as well. Shirt on or shirt off, whatever makes you comfortable, once again Harry, speak for yourself.

• Teds no racist…he’s just a jackass that can’t keep his mouth shut…Even points that are valid sound absurd the way he says them and he does like the attention, but he obviously went too far this time with his shows getting cancelled

10. Speedking says:

Musical irrelevance for nearly 3 decades has hurt him most. He’s a jerk and fraud. He thinks mentioning Chuck Berry and James Brown will keep him out of trouble.

• Why think the worst? Maybe he mentioned them because he likes their music? They were musicians, Ted’s a musician, common ground, talking music, paying respect. Ted also mentions Roy Clark, Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley, I wonder if he mentions them to keep him out of trouble as well.

11. Tired of Tyranny says:

Media Matters is a so-called Non-Profit Left Wing Group that has tried to get Conservative Radio Hosts kicked off the air. They have been going after the likes of Rush, Michael Savage, Hannity, Laura Ingraham, ect. by trying to get Congress to re-enact the “Fairness Doctorine”. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine
    If you don’t know what that is, you should read about it!
    There are plenty of prominant DemocRATS linked to Media Matters, including, George Soros, Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore, and others :)

• There were plenty of Democrats in the Washington Wives and the PMRC. Tipper Gore was the most prominent. But this is not about censorship and the fact that Media Matters wrote this piece should not be then cast aside as a ‘left wing’/anti-conservative piece. This is about the perception of what Free Speech is and how it works both ways. The promoters quoted in the piece aren’t left wingnuts giving opinions. The article is a factual piece and I don’t see a hidden agenda. Ted has his right to say what he wants, as we all do. But then Ted has to live with the consequences of it, and he now is. I’ve never been a huge Nugent fan and don’t support pretty much anything he says. But it is very rock n roll of him to say what he thinks and what he wants. As long as he’s willing to live with the consequences of his statements, there really should be no problem with several Aboriginal based casinos cancelling his gigs. However, if he’s not ok with that, its his problem to deal with and he needs to decide if he wants to be known for music or political views because he can’t have it both ways. Like I’ve said before, with the exception of his latest release, he’s put out some pretty good music over the past decade. But that is completely overshadowed by his rants.

• doug r. says:

DR, with all due respect, isn’t Bono & U2 known for their music AND political views? Along with Sting and many others. If they can be known for both, why can’t Nugent?

• Because Bono has never come across as a racist wing nut. Many artists have many political or social opinions or causes. But I think they are more eloquent in how they express them. Ted comes across like a complete whack job most of the time. I think Patrick nailed it earlier when he said he could no longer align himself with what he believes to be complete stupidity. Essentially Ted’s political views are hindering his musical ones. Doug don’t get me wrong. If you enjoy Ted and his music, I say enjoy. Like I said earlier, Freedom of Speech is everyone’s right in this country. But it goes both ways. Ted is now finding that out.

• Fair enough, but IMO, Neil Young & Eddie Vedder come close to being political whack jobs, on the other side. I know sometimes Ted goes overboard, and he’s very passionate about his beliefs, it’s just too bad he can’t channel that passion in a different, more positive way. All I’m saying is, as a lifelong independent, I have always seen both sides of every angle, I just wish EVERYBODY could & would overlook people’s imperfections, and focus more on their perfections and good intentions, which underneath all the rage, madness and bad choice of words, I truly believe Ted has, in his own way. You and I both know, if, IF Ted was a liberal, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation right now. Maybe because I’m such an optimist I really try to see the good in everybody, and again, underneath it all, besides IMO his really good music, I do see some good in Ted’s intentions. Same goes for Bruce, Jon, Bono, Sting, Young and Vedder. But again, if I want politics, I’ll tune into C-SPAN, I just wish ALL artists would leave the politics out of their music, after all, music supposed to be an escape, for everybody.

• Bmac777 says:

Hannity is an embarrassment to his party

12. Frank Rizzo says:

I’m with Ted! No need for me to go on a long rant. To hell with the potus & all liberals! Rock on Uncle Ted and keep speaking your mind!

13. Tom Stewart says:

Look, the reason there’s so much controversy around Nugent and what he’s saying is because the left wing movement is very active in things like boycotts, protesting, and threatening businesses, etc. They are very good at organizing and trying to shut down any opposing views to their own, and the media, which by and large is on the same side as them, willingly jumps on the story and it blows up. Does anyone care to remember when “W” Bush was president, for 8 years straight, it was non stop celebrities bashing him over everything from gas prices to Iraq to he’s an illegitimate president to he’s stupid to he’s a Nazi. Eddie Vedder used to wear a Bush mask onstage, and now you have Roger Waters, who’s basically a Communist sympathizer, boycotting Israel for years now, and having a blow up pig prop with a Jewish Star Of David on it at his concerts….I mean, this is pretty offensive stuff, and everyone is up in arms because Nugent is pro gun, pro hunting, and anti-Obama? The reason you don’t see boycotts and mass protests of liberal leaning artists and concerts is because people on the right generally don’t have the time to waste on such nonsense and generally just laugh at these foolish ideas and comments for what it is: someone exercising their free speech rights to look like an ass. I don’t agree with most of hollywood or the music industries politics, but I still buy their products in general, although I don’t think i will be going to any Roger Waters concerts, I also won’t be calling for them to be cancelled either. I’d rather see Waters forced to debate someone intelligent and get confronted on his views, but no one in the music media will call him out on any of it, unfortunately because most of them agree with him. Waters would never go on let’s say a Bill O’Riley show and have his ass handed to him over his Jewish Pig prop……he doesn’t have the balls to.

• Tom,

Don’t even get me started on that moron Roger Waters-LOL!! In my opinion (and I must put a disclaimer that my views do not represent those of Eddie Trunk and EddieTrunk.com), he is despicable “human” being.

Dana :)

• Amen…well said.

• Dana's boyfriend says:

George Bush was about as smart as a hubcap.

• Not true Tom. The reason the Right doesn’t boycott the issues you’ve mentioned is because in a lot of case the Right doesn’t care enough about those issues or aren’t educated enough about those issues. Roger Waters has balls the size of Watermelons to do what he has done with the pig and the Star of David. But he’s not completely wrong in his view on Israel and in many ways is very similar to Ted Nugent for doing/saying what other people are thinking. Waters has had his share of detractors and it’s his price to pay for it if he’s willing, just like Ted.

• Sorry DR,

I don’t want to debate politics here, as it not the place for it. However, I cannot in good conscience agree with you about Waters. I think he is an uber creep and a major s-stirrer. But, to each their own.

Dana from ET.com

• He might be an uber creep Dana, but many people would say the same thing about Ted and a host of other entertainers. Music has always touched on subjects many don’t want to discuss while others do. Waters is making a statement about something he feels strongly about, just like Bono, Nugent, Rage Against the Machine, and countless others have. I’m not defending him, but rather defending his right to make his statement. Funny how we’re ok with free speech until something is said or done that we don’t agree with. If we want to be free, we must accept everyone’s right to make their statements. Its no different than the white supremacist bands that say their horrific things that most of us can never accept. Under our constitution they have their right. Its the price that comes with free speech in this country and the rest of the free world. Debating politics on this site isn’t necessarily a bad place to do it either. It gives us a break from whatever Paul Stanley is saying today.

• Well DR, I guess I am much more conservative on this subject that I used to be in the past.

My belief is when speech is used for the sole purpose of being hateful and calls for the death and destruction of others simply because they are not the same as you, then yes, I think there needs to be some intervention in that specific case. This coming from a Journalism major, mind you-LOL!

I am sorry, but just like technology, some of our forefather’s ideas that were written with a positive purpose centuries ago do not always make sense in today’s changing world. Just as technology advances to accommodate the times, some of those old ideologies are not as applicable or effective, to the world as it is today, a very different place from colonial America. To me, in a way it is no different than religions that are stuck in an old fashioned philosophy where women are subjugated, killed if they are raped, etc.

I know many will disagree with me, and that is perfectly fine, but I think protecting hate speech, in this day and age, is just plain wrong and silly.

Dana from ET.com :)

• DR, the white supremacist bands are no different than the rappers out there still bashing the s out of Bush, and white people in general for no reason whatsoever. In passing, I’ve heard some unbelievably offensive things coming from these rappers, and yet, where’s the media involvement to boycott, and protest? White people can get offended as well, we’re human too, so why does the media still protect these rappers who insult, bash & trash white people? Two wrongs don’t make a right. never have or will, so back to the double standard question, why is it o.k. only for some to speak their mind, but not others? Especially in the media world.

• Doug, I don’t disagree with you whatsoever. There is a massive dbl standard when it comes to Rap/Hip Hop statements against whites. I’m trying to be delicate on this slippery slope that you brought up, but its a good topic. I don’t think the media, which has been white majority since the radio was invented are going to touch hip hop because it is considered of African American origin (ironically so was rock n roll). Blacks can hate on blacks, and blacks can hate on whites, but whites cannot hate on blacks. There are white rappers who do the same thing when it comes to statements made in their music or social media etc. Its not right, but it is what it is.

• doug r. says:

I hear you DR, but some folks say Rock ‘N’ Roll roots come from, and go back as far as Big Band & Swing music from the 20’s & 30’s, Rock-a-Billy, even Country & Bluegrass. Having a beer, listening to “Double Live Gonzo”, in the words of The Doobie Brothers, “Listen To The Music”. Cheers! :)

14. If calling someone a “subhuman mongrel” is racist then I’d hate to think what would happen if you called someone an a$$hole [gasp]!!!

• James,

With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, there is difference in tone.

While the origins of the word a-hole are nebulous and could easily apply to anyone, terms like “sub human” and “mongrel” have been used in propaganda for specific races of people. I think therein lies the difference.

Dana from ET.com :)

• Dana's boyfriend says:

Dana,

You know it’s futile to try and reason with some of these people. Save your strength and effort for deciding where we’re going for dinner tomorrow night. :)

• LOL!!!! Thank you for smiles :) But remember, be nice ;)

D :)

• Hello Dana, I have read all of your reply’s on this subject and it’s many offshoots and I have to say you have done it with respect and class. Your right about how the way you present your views will determine how they are processed.

I really appreciate your very kind words :)

Dana from ET.com :)

15. All I got to say is I wouldn’t invite Ted at any funerals with his mouth he’d probably say something horrible to the family’s! I’m all into to speaking your mind but if it is hurtful to other’s it’s wrong for anyone to do. What ever happened to letting the music do the talking? For someone that is so dam talented as he is and has written some amazing ass music and I’d love to have a venison burger with him just wish he’d choose his words better. We are all humans that share the same planted as one but politic are just the worst form of bullying on the this planet in my eye’s. He talks about being sober but says thing that a angry drunk would say. Love the his music very very much just don’t like a lot of the things he say.

16. Anybody check out the recent tapes that Nixon made and now have been made public. Talk about racist and anti semitic Nixon owned it

17. Ted, for once do what your new album is entitled………..just “Shut Up and Play”!!!!!!! Take your own advice!!!!!!!

18. Max Cady says:

I used to like some Nugent – Free-For-All, Cat Scratch Fever, Scream Dream – but I really can’t stand the guy now because of his views and his loud mouth and would never spend a penny on either his music or seeing him in concert.

19. Funny how left wing darlings Springsteen and Vedder can say whatever they want. Let a right wing conservative speak his mind and suddenly it is damaging to his career. For the record, I love Springsteen, but when he and Vedder start preaching from their pulpit, I get turned off. No one rally’s at their shows. I don’t agree with name calling at all and the “sub human” comment was unnecessary. That said, the left had a free pass and made countless remarks about President Bush. To Ted, I say, stick to your beliefs, don’t resort to name calling, but hold your ground!!

• Greg,

Personally, I don’t appreciate it all. No one wants to hear that stuff when they are paying good money to see you play music. Ditto for award shows.

Musicians are entitled to their opinions, but if they want to espouse their views, save it for political talk radio or TV shows. I am sure they would be more than welcomed as guests and that is the proper arena in which to speak their minds, not at events that have no relation or affiliation to politics, etc. Bono is another one whom cannot seem to help himself when it comes to sharing his thoughts :) Not that I am a U2 fan anyway.

Dana from ET.com :)

• Brian Bulakites says:

When musician talk politic durning a show it defeats the whole idea of a concert. Concerts are where we go to forget about the issues in the world for a few hour at least I do. I don’t speak for everyone. After a crappy day putting some head banging music on is therapy for me. Rage against the machine is one of the few bands that dose the whole political/ music mix right but most don’t. Cheers

• Brian,

You and I are on the same page with this one, I completely agree with you. Keep it out of the live shows, etc.

D :)

• Exactly. Music is supposed be universal, not exclusive to certain groups. When Ted makes these statements in his shows, he excludes.

• Dana's boyfriend says:

Bush was a bumbling idiot and an embarrassment to the Presidency. For any President to claim that “God told to me to go to war with Iraq” is utterly insane. So when David Koresh claimed that he was the son of God, should we have believed him? No? What’s the difference?

• Agree with you completely…I don’t go to a rock show for politics…I go to a rock show to get away from that stuff and when any of these bands start preaching, I’m out…

• Agreed, George,

On a positive note. Happy Birthday to my <3 John Sykes!! An extremely talented guitarist, singer and songwriter.

Dana from ET.com :)

20. doug r. says:

Look what happened to Paul Stanley for example, he mentions 1 thing about rap, and that idiot from the RRHOF labels him as a racist, remember? But rappers can bad-mouth Rock & Metal, and they NEVER get labeled as racists, why? We have to stop denying the obvious double standard in this country right now and face it, and then try to resolve it & fix it. Of course Ted Nugent’s mouth goes too far sometimes, but when was the last time someone like Eddie Vedder’s mouth got in trouble for going too far? My advice for all of them, JUST SHUT UP & JAM! :)

21. May damage his career…what career?

22. F THEM ALL TED!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!! NEVER EVER CHANGE!!!!

23. I learned a long time ago that if I concerned myself with the politics of the bands and artists I liked my CD collection would be depleted by 75% or more. I probably wouldn’t watch any movies or T.V. either. I don’t always like what they have to say…and both sides can go to the extreme. Just give me the damn music…if there’s a political tone to the lyrics then so be it. It’s the artists opinion, not mine. If it’s a good song then I’m buying it. If it’s a crappy song and a political message I agree with, I’m not buying it.

24. My view is what does his politics have to do with his music? I don’t agree with all of his views, but there’s really nothing he could say that would keep me from attending one of his concerts, if I wanted to go. If you want to start playing the game of “I’m not supporting anyone who doesn’t agree with my political views” game, then you’re going to lead one very boring life. And any promoter that cancels his show due to his comments obviously didn’t do his homework to begin with. Ted hasn’t changed, this over sensitive “politically correct” world has.

• Agree that he hasn’t changed. But he has become more vocal and media/social media coverage has made his statements more global and more are reading and reacting to them. Social media is the game changer for a lot of celebrities. Some have done well with it, others have suffered because of it. To your point, I think one should be open to all sides of the issue and you shouldn’t boycott an artist if you like his/her music but don’t agree with their beliefs outside of their music. Ted either knows exactly what he’s doing, or he never considered the possible consequences of his statements.

25. james perkins says:

Longview, Texas gives him 16k to go away?? I grew up 50 miles from there and can assure you the area is a bold shade of right wing red. If that doesn’t put camp nugent in damage control mode, he’s decided the best way to express his anti-obama sentiment is to avoid income tax by making as little as possible.

James Perkins
    Houston, Texas

26. I’m with Eddie on this … People take politics WAY to seriously in this country … I just saw him last week in Detroit … One of the better nuge shows I’ve seen … The band was on fire and he played a lot of early gems from his first three albums … I support rock n roll !

27. Brian Bulakites says:

Perfect example is: I saw megadeath days after 911 happen in CT! Going to the show everyone were sad and down. Buy the time the was over everyone there were screaming yeah fucking great. Dave briefly spoke about 911 at the start and that was it We got to forget for 2 hours what had gone down. Music a blessing!

28. Amigoe70 says:

Queen Latifa years ago publicly made a statement (I saw it ONCE on tv before it was quickly swept under the rug) that “blacks should stop killing blacks and kill whites instead.” Where is her career today? BIGGER THAN EVER (CoverGirl, TV, etc.)! Had a non-minority artist/actor/political figure made this statement in reverse, there wouldn’t be enough of their career left to document, just ask Jimmy the Greek. I am most definitely not racist and don’t condone it, but there is an ugly double standard that absolutely gets pumped up by liberal media every time someone not on their “team” says something inflammatory! I like Ted, love his music and applaud his cajones for at least sticking firm to his beliefs and soldiering on. I wish all conservatives had the same backbone in this sickeningly politically-correct miasma this country seems to be becoming.

29. Media Matters is not a source that is accurate with the facts. It is radical left wing blog funded by George Soros. Their job is to do the dirty work for democrats and Obama. Take what they say with a huge grain of salt.

30. At least Nugent has a track record of quality music unlike some of these Country Music clowns like Tobey Keith. Now the older guys like Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers and Charlie Daniels are all pretty good but this notion of equating inbred drinking and fighting crap with being patriotic is nonsense. They all trash big cities and Democrats while exploiting 9/11 and I find that despicable. Who appointed them and their stupid hats and acoustic guitars as the forebearers of American pride. I don’t think so. There is a big difference between playing for the troops and being one. Imagine being some poor soldier fighting overseas and then being forced to listen to some shithead millionaire trying to sell you patriotism. I wouldn’t worry about Nugent as he is playing Rib-feasts these days but think about what an entire genre of music did to THE DIXIE CHICKS for going against their phony idea of patriotism. American patriotism is in part the ability to speak ones mind.

• doug r. says:

Well, at least Ted Nugent isn’t out there telling people to kill each other like that Queen whatever her name is. Where was the backlash for those comments? where’s the boycotts & protests? Same old story, double standard, sad but true.

31. Stormin' says:

Ted should hope that this will turn into a bigger news story because before long Ted will be sold out everywhere he goes, just as Chick Filet had conservatives flock to their stores over the homo marriage stance.

32. No S! I font care if I ever see him again. He’ll never get another dime from me.

33. robert BEAR ortiz says:

Uncle Ted will be just fine money wise. a true fan knows he is and does a lot more then just make music . there is his public speaking his magazine articles his NRA standing and must of all his hunting gear . Trust me when I say a canceled show her or there will not effect the motor city rocker in the very least . if you like him go see him if you do not like do not go simple as that .

34. I just have to say , what an amazing point counterpoint on the comments for this post , I loved taking part in this conversation , most all the comments made me think about how politics polarize people ,even in the music world- every one was well informed, and thoughtful . I wish all the comments on this site would turn onto true open and honest debate- this was really cool-

• Agreed bobbyd. Very good discussion that wasn’t too mean spirited. Makes me wonder if we are all being mature adults for once, or if Dana was doing some massive policing behind the scenes.

• DR,

I had to “edit” some words to keep it a bit more civil, but no, everyone has been great. I am so proud of the posters here. Kudos to all of you :)

D :)

• doug r. says:

If Ted Nugent, Sammy Hagar, and Steven Tyler, who are all very different in their political views, can still get along so well with each other, why can’t all of us? No, maybe we’re not all on the same page politically, but musically, I think we’re all at least in the same book! ;) Right now, I’m in the mood for some “Double Live Gonzo!” peace. Cheers! :)

35. Shawn Kane says:

Media Matters pretty much invalidates the article for me.

36. James K. says:

Ted has damaged his name, there’s no question about that. But I’m going to stick my neck out and say despite the fact that he pisses people off with his lifestyle and political views, he should be in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Ted and his band ruled in the mid to late 1970’s. Anyone alive back then knows that. I don’t hate Ted but a lot of people do and he has to live with that. His big mouth has managed to overshadow his music and that’s his fault. But beyond the controversial and many times outrageous remarks he makes, Ted’s classic music deserves respect.
    On that note, Ted’s original solo band deserves recognition and induction to the RRHOF to because without them Ted wouldn’t be here. So much respect to Derek St. Holmes, Rob Grange and Cliff Davies.

37. Fact Check says:

While I don’t enjoy the mix of politics and music:
    FACT – Liberal performers have long espoused their political views to captive audiences.
    FACT – Much of their political commentary is not nice, and in fact very mean-spirited.
    FACT – They are NOT called out by the main-stream media for doing so, and are sometimes celebrated for doing so.
    FACT – Ted espouses his political views.
    FACT – Ted’s comments have been mean-spirited on occasion.
    FACT – Ted DOES get called out by mainstream media, and is a victim of orchestrated backlashes including simultaneous cancellation of his shows, record reviews using the same talking points, etc.
    FACT – There is a double standard in how a conservative loud-mouth is treated vs. liberal loud-mouths.
    FACT – Ted is an absolute beast on the guitar and a great live performer.
    FACT – Ted has the right per the constitution to own guns.
    FACT – Hunting is in fact humaine if done properly.
    FACT – Ted needs a brain filter before he speaks.
    FACT – We need to just shut up and listen to him jam!

• 100% CORRECT! fact check!

• FACT – you can have mega fun at a county fair.
      FACT – having fun tooling around the fair all day eating corn dogs, popcorn and drinking beer is like tailgating in the parking then going to see a great show.

Opinion – Orange County’s CA. fair houses good shows at a 15k amphitheater. I see no shame in that from a bands point of view.
      I am a pro fair rocker! Why do we rag on the fair bands?

38. Brian Bulakites says:

Last word politics at a rock show is like Lemmy in the middle of show rebing up a show by getting the crowd to play paddy cake paddy cake.

39. randallthevandle says:

Keep on rockin and roll with the punches ted.

40. The Rolling Stone guy that said he didn’t know if Ted’s main source of income was touring is a classic idiot. No tour, Ted is financially in bad shape. He plays small places now, he has to run a huge amount of them 5 days a week. 32K guarantee. After expenese his tour net sucks to a guy on a Texas ranch that chapter 7’d before.

41. Bastard says:

If what lee said is true, hey Tex Ted: Hardy har har har

42. The last time I saw Ted was on the Kiss farewell tour in 2000, about half way through his set he goes off on his political rant. He starts getting more boo’s and jeers than cheers. Ted just leave your views at the dressing room door, and just play.

43. Patrick says:

I will address the “how come Liberals get to do it?” line of questioning. I have to, as a Liberal.
    1) Most of the time Liberals are informed about what they are talking about.
    2) Most of the time Liberals are not saying “If you disagree with me, someone should shoot you!”
    3) Most of the time Liberals are very in tune with the suffering of others, because they have seen it firsthand (i.e. Springsteen talking from the pulpit etc)..I haven’t followed Sting since The Police broke up…why bother?
    4) I don’t like Eddie Vedder, his singing or Pearl Jam, with the exception of the 12-string Bass part in “Jeremy”
    5) Most of the time Liberals question *everything*, up to and including even what other Liberals say – face it, we are born skeptics who don’t react to B.S. no matter where it comes from.
    6) Most of the time Liberals really don’t care what anyone else thinks so long as the majority vote wins (and wins legitimately)
    7) Most of the time Liberals accept others but know ignorant hateful abuse when they see it and are not afraid to point out when *anyone* is being a douche-canoe.
    8) Bono is in bed with Monsanto – this personally upsets me.
    9) Roger Waters’ opinions on Israel are not exactly wrong, but his methods as to how he conveys them are pretty reckless and heavy-handed (and downright stupid); but then again, Roger Waters is the reason Pink Floyd doesn’t play together anymore….and I only like the stuff from “Meddle” through to “The Wall” anyway. When he openly calls for the eradication of the State of Israel through any means necessary, I will be taking my CD’s to the used CD chop…in fact, I will look it up right now if he has….hmmmm….(reading wikipedia) I see where he is coming from, I question the wisdom of using the symbols he does….okay, since I saw a photo of (presumably) Hasidic Jews burning the Israeli flag in protest against Zionism(elsewhere on the internet), Mister Waters gets a partial but not solid pass. I’ll be watching him. He’s still an egotistical douche and I will not debate that.

44. XA351GT says:

What BS, Liberal artists say crap all the time that offend conservatives ,but the difference is conservatives don’t try to shut them up by calling them a racists or communists. They are entitled to their opinion whether I or anyone else likes it. I saw Ted last week, he kicked ass on stage. 65+ years old and ripped up the joint better than guys 1/3 his age. To the promoter saying Ted was never a big draw ,maybe not since the mid 80s but through the 70s and early 80s not many could pull crowds like he did. From what I’ve read him say it sounds like Ted is upset to see our country go down the sh*tter. Maybe he uses language that some can’t handle due to the sissyfication of the country with PC BS . Like him or hate him at least you how he feels .

45. LOL. The Dixie Chicks were like a fart in the wind.

Ted Nugent: ten triple platinum records.
    Dixie Chicks: One song. ONE!

• Writers Rock says:

Chris, have you heard of the Internet? Do you realize that such amazingly incorrect statements can be checked?

With regard to U.S. sales, Nugent has one triple-platinum album/CD, two double-platinum albums/CDs, one platinum album/CD, and two gold albums/CDs, and they all occurred between 1975 and 1980. Beginning with 1981, none of his albums/CDs have reached even gold status (500,000 units sold). On the other hand, the Dixie Chicks three most popular CDs, released from 1998 through 2003, have sold more than 12 million copies, more than 10 million copies, more than 6 million copies, respectively. Even their most recent CD, released in 2006, has sold more than 2.5 million units and did so without the benefit of a huge U.S. tour.

46. Johnny P says:

….don’t see how race even got involved, “Unclean vermin” can be anything alive. It’s the same ol …when a minority or a gay/l/b/t individual are upset or spoken to/about negatively, it’s race, or discrimination. It’s never about what they actually did or was involved with. We at work call it Ray Chism… An African guy we used to work with called in at least 3-4 times a month, & what do you think he said when approached w/ disciplinary action? ….the wild card comes out, “racism”. That’s now the new weapon for gays also… I got No prob with anyone, but let’s not be ridiculous here people.

47. Gary B. says:

Writers Rock.There you go throwing facts around!! A lot of these types never let facts get n the way of a good rant. Lol.

• Writers Rock says:

Gary B. – Oh you’re so right. It’s as if some people don’t care that they can be found not just to be wrong but to be laughably wrong. I don’t get it. It’s like politicians who forget that videos actually exist when they deny something they did or said and then act annoyed when one or more media people or bloggers point out their untruth/lie.

48. S.Falls \m/ says:

Funny how this gets the board workin’. My problem with Ted and people who think like him, they believe THEIR rhetoric. Sure does have the freedom of speech and everyone else has the right not to like what he spouts as truth. Problem in this country is the left and right are so full of extremists that there’s no room for common sense. Sorry but if BOTH parties really cared about this country they would agree to disagree on some issues and when someone came up with a good idea(ala healthcare that the majority WANTED) they wouldn’t argue on who came up with it, they would WORK TOGETHER to make it the BEST they could.
    All they do now(like this board) is sit across from each other and fire shots across the board.
    I like uncle Ted, I’d still go to a show, but that doesn’t mean I agree with all the dumb ass shit he says.
    I find it funny how too how we or at least some of us white people still are holding up Sharpton & Farrakahn as blacl leaders. Sorry but if any of the white people that make those dumb ass comments had any black friends they’d find out just how little either of those two mean to the black community as a whole. It’s laughable at best.
    Too bad people can’t compromise and work together anymore, that’s the biggest loss of this country.

49. I’ve always felt that while speaking your mind publicly and in ways that may be perceived as hurtful, might feel good, it usually turns out bad.

50. Shawn Kane says:

My issue when people complain about Ted Nugent: Has he EVER been politically correct? He does everything with 110% energy and has been over the top with everything he’s ever done. It’s a reason that he’s been successful and it’s a reason that he’s a lightning rod for criticism.