KISS’ ROLLING STONE COVER STORY POSTED ONLINE, HIGHLIGHTS APPEAR HERE

kiss-return Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone reports:

All that’s missing from Gene Simmons’ home office is a cash register. He has stuffed a wing of his otherwise tasteful Beverly Hills mansion with Kiss merchandise, turning it into a shrine to his favorite guy, Gene Simmons, and the band for which he’s spent 40 lucrative years playing bass, breathing fire, spitting blood and waggling a tongue so freakish he’s had to deny grafting it from some unlucky cow. There are thousands of KISS things in his lair, overflowing from glass cases: Halloween masks; life-size busts of the band members’ heads; dolls; action figures; coffee mugs; motorcycle helmets; plates; blankets; demonic Mr. Potato Heads; sneakers; bibs; a bowling ball.

On one wall is a plaque commemorating 100 million Kiss albums sold worldwide. “This room,” says Simmons, adding extra portentousness to his baritone, “didn’t happen by accident.”

KISS still tour. But the only original members left are Simmons and the band’s frontman, Paul Stanley…Drummer Peter Criss and lead guitarist Ace Frehley, the ones who took the whole party-every-day thing to heart, who crashed sports cars and threw furniture out of hotel windows, are long gone. You can sometimes catch Simmons and Stanley talking about their old bandmates with distant fondness, as if they were parked in their very own KISS Kaskets, rather than living quiet lives in New Jersey and San Diego.

When he’s not slinging button-pushing, right-wing lectures (he claims that the Vietnam War was a great idea), Simmons can slip into boastful defensiveness, but there’s something puppyish beneath it all, as if he’s daring you to like him. “All the credible bands can kiss my ass, with all due respect,” he says, apropos of not much, within three minutes of my arrival. “The original forefathers who are now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – and I don’t mean the disco or the hip-hop artists, what the fuck are they thinking? – couldn’t spell the word ‘credibility’ and never thought about it. It was an antithesis of the self-imposed mandate, which is, ‘Do what you want to do.’ In other words, no rules.”

In April, KISS themselves will finally be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 15 years after they first became eligible. The band members share a distrust of the institution, which represents a rock establishment that long dismissed [the band] as lowbrow purveyors of gimmickry – presumably in contrast to the dignity and reserve of a berouged Little Richard screaming nonsense syllables. “The most important thing,” says Simmons, “is that it’s validation for fans who were picked on for liking KISS as opposed to, I don’t know, Air Supply.”

The Hall of Fame ceremony could have included a heartwarming reunion of the original lineup, but maybe that kind of thing is for hippies. Instead, Simmons and Stanley insisted on playing as the current KISS, with guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer. “We heard, ‘We would like Ace and Peter in makeup,'” says Stanley. “And we said, ‘That’s not going to happen.’ That band is long gone. I question what Ace and Peter would look like in those outfits. We’ve spent 40 years building something, and to dissipate what we’ve done, or confuse it by sending mixed messages? What we offered was to play with Tommy and Eric and then bring out Ace and Peter to play with us.”

Criss and Frehley were so insulted by that proposition that they threatened to boycott the ceremony. “I won’t be disrespected,” Criss says, sitting in his New Jersey home. “How can you put me in the Hall of Fame and then tell me to sit over there in the corner while another guy puts on my makeup and plays? That’s an injustice. To the fans, too.”

Stanley was affronted by the Hall’s refusal to induct any of the musicians who played with KISS after the original guys (several lead guitarists, plus two drummers: Singer and Criss’ original replacement, the late Eric Carr). “I don’t need the Hall of Fame,” says Stanley. “And if there’s not reciprocity, I’m not interested. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, practically every member was inducted, and virtually all 175 members of the Grateful Dead. Rules need to apply to everybody.”

Simmons, meanwhile, says that Frehley and Criss “no longer deserve to wear the paint.” “The makeup is earned,” he adds. “Just being there at the beginning is not enough. You know, quite honestly, my hand to God? I would have preferred the same lineup all these years. But if I fuck up, I should be tossed out. And if you blow it for yourself, it’s your fault. You can’t blame your band members. ‘Oh, look what happened to me. Oh, poor me.’ Look at my little violin. I have no sympathy.”

Hanging out in his San Diego condo, Frehley says that the resistance to a reunion is all business: After all, the current lineup has a summer tour planned. “The reason they don’t want to perform with me and Peter,” he says, “is because the last time they did, they had to do a reunion tour. We play three songs, the fans go crazy. They don’t want to open up a can of worms.”

Frehley and Criss may not get the performance they want, but it looks like they won’t have to see anyone else in their makeup. Outmaneuvered, for once, Stanley and Simmons announced in late February that they wouldn’t perform at all.

[Paul] Stanley comes off as friendly and warm, though he can be chillingly blunt in assessing his old bandmates. But if you believe Criss and Frehley, he is a Dick Cheney-like figure in KISS, the real power behind a flashier figurehead. “Pauly’s the one you’ve got to watch for,” says Criss. “He’ll leave this building, and then you’ll go, ‘Holy fucking shit, he cut my throat.’ He really is the leader of KISS. He’s the guy who pulls the strings – trust me.”

“I know two people who demonize me,” he says. “It’s funny, because I don’t know anyone else who does. I can’t possibly be responsible for those guys’ situations or failures. Any more than I can make someone else responsible for mine.”

Stanley does agree that Simmons’ prominence as a band spokesman is misleading. “Gene’s makeup is the face of KISS,” he says. “It’s the strongest. But the idea that he’s the motivating force in the band – that’s only believed by people who don’t know the band.”

Once Frehley was out of KISS, it was up to Simmons and Stanley to keep the band alive – and Simmons was busy pursuing an acting career and other projects, including managing Liza Minnelli’s career. Stanley felt abandoned. “And it wasn’t like he was making Gone With the Wind,” he says. “Some of it was more like passing wind! But what I resented was just being informed and then working to his plan. It didn’t seem fair.” He considers KISS’ 1984 album, Animalize, close to a Paul Stanley solo album. “I could deal with that. What I couldn’t deal with was that somebody wanted to be paid for not doing their job. If it applied to Ace and Peter, it applies to Gene, too.”

He laughs when he hears that Simmons played me some of the very un-KISS-like ballads he writes for fun. “Gene loves the sound of his own voice,” he says.

Presented with a list of Stanley’s beefs with him, Simmons simply pleads guilty. “The luckiest break I ever got was meeting Paul Stanley,” he says. “Who hated me when he first met me – thought I was arrogant. True! Self-absorbed. True! Guilty as charged. Thinks that he’s better than he actually is. Guilty as charged. And yet something in that mixture between us – you know they say that purebred dogs are retarded. It is the differences in things that make something stronger.”

When I ask Stanley if the two men have ever sat down to work out their differences, he’s genuinely confused. “I’m curious . . . what’s there to work out?” he says. “The fact that we have 40-plus years between us means we worked it out.”

[While I was at Simmons’ residence], Paul Stanley [dropped by], bringing by a copy of his book – he hadn’t let Simmons read it, but heard I was asking about it, and figured it was time. Simmons is delighted to see him; it’s clearly been a while since he came over. “Do you want a drink?” Simmons asks.

“I gotta go home and give my kids a bath,” says Stanley, handing over the book.

Simmons flips to the pictures at the centerfold. “Oh, my God,” he says, “look at this photo of Ace and Peter. Where was that?”

“The one satisfaction those two guys should get in life is knowing that every day, we talk about them,” says Stanley. “A day can’t go by that you don’t remember something that is astonishing.”

“Or makes no sense!” Simmons adds. “And is completely baffling, or so self-destructive.” (There was, for instance, the time Ace gulped a bottle of perfume in a limo, after hearing it contained alcohol. And the time Criss shot the big-screen TV in Simmons’ house with a .38 revolver after learning his girlfriend had slept with an actor shown on the screen.)

It seems clear that there’s at least one person Simmons wants as a friend. They’ve been together so long, and even Simmons isn’t egotistical enough to think they can tour forever. “Physically, I won’t be able to do this into my seventies,” he says. He has me lift a spiked leather stage jacket from a nearby chair – it must weigh 25 pounds. “I’m 64 now. Three more tours. Two, if I have a life change of some kind.” He and Stanley do, however, talk about replacing themselves with new members and having KISS continue to the end of time.

“Sometimes,” he says, “when I come out and sit out there, just relax between meetings and stuff, Paul’s right: I keep thinking about Ace and Peter. ‘What are they doing now? Where are they?’ It’s gotta be close to the end. How do you make any money? How do you pay your bills? I mean, it’s gotta be . . . you’re in your sixties. Peter’s gotta be 67, 68. I think he’s 68 now. That’s it. You’re done.”

Each member of KISS had designed his own makeup. Criss relinquished the rights to his character when he left (although he’s confused about the circumstances), and Frehley maintains that he licensed his. He says he’s due to get the rights back soon, a claim Stanley called a “fantasy”: “We own it. He sold it.” In the meantime, Thayer, who once worked as the band’s road manager, wears Frehley’s makeup. Says Frehley: “I mean, a supergroup has one of the most dynamic, greatest lead guitarists in the world leave the band, and who did they hire to play lead guitar? Their road manager, who used to be in a KISS cover band. How insane is that? You can’t make this shit up.” He is, in general, unimpressed with the band’s current state: “Paul’s voice is shot.” (Thayer, whose KISS cover band was just a goofy side project while he was in a major-label metal band, responds, “These guys like to say, ‘Oh, he was the road manager.’ I’ve been in music for over 30 years.”)

The band’s current drummer, Eric Singer, points out that Frehley never complained during the portion of the reunion era that had him playing with Singer – in full Catman makeup – instead of Criss. “Well, Peter sold his makeup,” Frehley says with a shrug.

On some tours, Singer has even sung a version of Beth, which breaks original drummer [Peter] Criss’ heart. “How much more can you slap me?” he says. “How hard do you want to hit me? It’s my baby – no one sings it like me. And I said to Gigi, ‘You know what, it’s like the Lone Ranger: You can take his mask off and put it on another guy, but it’ll never be Clayton Moore.'”

Read KISS’ entire cover story at Rolling Stone.

Comments

1. WhatIsTheDeal? says:

So, what is the big beef between G & P and Ace, and G&P and Peter? I don’t remember the reunion Tour ending all THAT badly. I think that G&P have creted this firestorm to distract us because they want to keep the money from KISS.

• Reunion tour did not end badly, Farewell tour did

• WhatIsTheDeal? says:

How so? What is the beef????

• Money and old habits.

Ace…regardless of what anyone says was/had never stopped drinking when the Reunion tour rolled around. One of the agreements was no drugs, no booze. Gene and Paul clearly overlooked that to pull off the Reunion tour. By all accounts Peter held up his end of the bargain but Ace never did. Both were paid a flat fee for the Reunion tour of 2 mill. The rub came when the Reunion tour was winding down as Gene and Paul made an enormous amount of money and would not renegotiate. Again, though Pete and Ace were paid 2 mill apiece whether the tour succeeded or failed. That ain’t chump change to show and play rock n roll. As the contracts were redone for the Pyscho Circus album and following tours things began to get really bad. Ace again was full blown off the wagon (not that he was ever on it at the time) and Peter’s bitterness about dollars started taking over i.e. read his book. I mean the Farewell tour…Ace was dead drunk onstage at the Nashville show. Started Shock Me twice and dropped his guitar trying to find the hook that took it up to the rafters. I’d say by that point Gene and Paul had enough. In the end…the band would not have continued “in makeup” without Ace and Peter if hundreds of thousands of fans had not supported it. Hard to sell something when people don’t want it…evidently enough people/fans wanted it because Kiss has carried on without Ace and Pete for the second time in 40 years. I don’t like the current version but plenty of fans have, no denying that.

• Jim from Houston says:

Once Gene and Paul discovered they could Put Thayer and Singer in the Makeup and pay them less and Make bigger profits it was a done deal.

• SCOTT WHITAKER says:

Serves Paul & Gene right for using Ace & Peter to get back on top. I say this as a fan for 36 of my 40 and a half years. I remember the early 90’s the ship was going down, Revenge, Alive III (Came out on my 20th birthday) and Carnival Of Souls were not big sellers. Paul & Gene said for years there will never be a Reunion tour, but after the reaction at MTV Unplugged they saw $. Why shouldn’t Ace & Peter have gotten more money when millions were made on the Reunion tour?

• Klaus Baumgarten says:

If your drinking affects your performance in a way that it becomes obvious or disappoiting to the fans, that is of course really bad and cannot be tolerated within such a production context should it occur more often. But also not to renegotiate the split of such an enormous success that was because of all four of them and not just becaue of G and P also shows that A and P really did have and still have something to be angry about. The reunion saved A and P from being bankrupt, it savedalso G and P from having to bury the band sooner or later, but in the end who made the real profit compared to whom did the audience that shovelled in the money want to see??

• Where are Eddie’s Kool Aid comments ???

• Keith Gallant says:

For the record, I have been a HUGE KISS fan since Rock and Roll Over came out back in the seventies. I have read comments from folks on this site since the whole HOF thing came out, and I can’t get over how completely unrealistc some people can be. You may not like Paul or Gene’s position, but there is no denying that they have a valid point. Had the HOF elected to induct all of the people that had been in KISS over the years, as they have for other bands, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. And, while there is no denying that Ace and Peter are the original members, Eric has been in KISS since Revenge came out! And the last two records with Tommy have been pretty decent, way better than Psycho Circus. Do I wish that the original lineup had lasted all 40 years? Of course, I do! But I am realistic enough to understand that people sometimes cannot stay together, and that outsiders should not judge one side or the other without intimate knowledge of what truly went on behind closed doors. I have supported both Frehley’s Comet and Ace’s other solo projects. While I cannot honestly say the same for Peter Criss, I certainly do not condemn him or Ace for their previous addiction problems. But I also don’t blame Paul or Gene for not being willing to enable them by continuing to work with them. I also don’t condemn Paul or Gene from continuing the band without Ace and Peter. I can honestly say I have enjoyed all of the various incarnations of KISS (even The Elder, though Unmasked was pretty bad!).
            And for all of the folks that have condemned Paul and Gene for “just doing it for the money”, please grow up! If anyone believes that ANY band is playing music for anything but the chance to make it big and make a ton of money, I have a bridge to nowhere I want to sell you! And for all of you that have condemned Paul and Gene for having HUGE EGO’s, they have earned the right to be that way! They both know that they aren’t the greatest musicians, but they have managed to become superstars despite this, because they worked hard and did not let the excesses of the music business divert them from their goal of becoming successful. To me, that is something to be extremely proud of.
            Bottom Line: For those of us who still like KISS, we will continue to support the current incarnation of the band. For those who don’t, you are free to express your opinions and not buy the albums or go to the shows. But try to remember that noone but the people that are there truly know what has gone on or is going on between the members.

• I understand that the original lineup got along well in the Reunion Tour.

• Eddie: what are the chances that all 4 of these guys actually take the stage together for an acceptance speech? Seems like there is just too much bad blood. Will make for some nice and awkward television.

2. It’s funny how Ace and Peter are skewered for getting high when I still hear Paul on Alive asking the crowd if Anybody out there like the taste of alcohol” before Cold Gin. Which Ace wrote and Gene sang with such conviction/ At least Ted Nugent wasn”t a hypocrite

• That’s why KISS have always been phonies. I guess sex was their big thing. But yeah, if you “Rock and Roll All Nite and Party Everyday” you get kicked out of the band! If you’re going to “Shout it out Loud” and get your party started, make sure you don’t have any alcohol, cause Gene won’t show up. And “Cold Gin” – must be about the playing cards during the winter.

3. Eddie, after all the RRHOF stuff dies down, do you believe the original 4 will do some type of performance within the next two years? Seems like Paul would do it if it’s on his terms and not the Hall’s terms.

4. Gene comes in to his Beverly Hills mansion to Shannon after the tour “Hi honey I’m home”…..146 C-list strippers later. He’s a joke….and uglier every year.

• I didn’t think he could get uglier than ugly! The roast was hilarious with Shannon basically admitting she’s with Gene for the $$$ (like anyone ever doubted that) and Lisa Lampinelli’s Planet of the Apes comment.

5. It’s funny, “KISS” is on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine for the FIRST TIME EVER….1973—April 2014. And again…….”KISS” is on the cover….Ace,Peter,Paul & Gene—–“KISS”. Just think about that because if you can read between the lines this cover ….. and the COVER ALONE says a lot——case closed!!! Joe in The Cuse.

6. Uhh Andrew you can also hear Paul ask the crowd if they “LIKE TO GET HIGH”. Joe in The Cuse

7. Seems like a good, honest article. I can’t wait to read it. If Gene and Paul aren’t gonna be at this HOF, could Ace and Peter perform out of make-up with a bassist and rhythm guitarist? Maybe NEW YORK GROOVE, BETH and one other. I guess they need practice and time is running out.

8. As much as my eyes water when I read the stuff Paul and Gene say about Ace and Peter, what they’ve done to two guys who, Hall or no Hall, have created some of the most classic moments in the history of rock and roll, my feelings run far too deep for me to hate them. Gene and Paul have gotten me through some of the worst times in my life.

• FOR GOD SAKES MAN, GET IT TOGETHER! I understand the healing power of music, but you sir are not helping the KISS cause with your whiny banter. True when things are rough I say to myself: DON’T WANNA WAIT ‘TILL YA KNOW ME BETTER……..but crying for 65 year old men who’ve lead interesting lives is a bit much. Someone please take Shannon’s copy of RIDE THE LIGHTNING away from him before something bad takes place.

• Dude of Wrath says:

Shannon is one creepy dude. How many bodies do you have in your crawlspace, Shannon?

• That’s one sad Street Hustler. All hell’s breaking loose indeed.

• How poetic.

• DR would never enter a direct, fact to face confrontation unless he had someone to back him up, I, on the other hand, don’t need anybody.

• Congrats on Law School. I look forward to having you in my class. Remember in law school my friend, we deal with facts and read a lot of books….two things that are not high on your list. If you become a trial lawyer, please do your best not to make up shit or use psuedo latin terms that only you have seemed to uncover. That can lead to license suspension and/or termination. And if your eyes are watering up over this nonsense in Rolling Stone, I can only imagine the shitfit you’d throw over your budding law career. As with some other trolls, I enjoy face to face interaction with the fans here at TrunkNation. However I can only deal with facts. This is why conversing with you is a challenge Dear Shannon. But we’ll always have the internet to talk tough with each other.

9. Im glad to see it looks like Kiss will be retiring soon. Too bad Gene and Paul put such a bad taste in my mouth now. And Paul wondering how Ace and Peter would look in costume? Have u looked at yourself in the mirror lately Paul? U and Gene are pretty fat at this point. Paul has huge old man nipples and tits. Peter looks in better shape that any of them. Ace has got fat. I do agree with that. But he would of she’s the weight to play. He said that he would. Like I’ve said Gene and Paul won’t get another dime from me again. And I will use a Paul line he uses on his twitter just because some lifelong Kiss fans who put money in his pocket let him know THIER displeasure. Hey Paul and Gene! GO AWAY!!!!!

10. Read the full article on Rolling Stone’s web site…..refreshing to hear an honest interview. Totally loved it!! With Gene and Paul we never get the “Real” story. This seemed to be honest and direct.

11. In all honestly I have ZERO clue why Gene & Paul continue…… after all these years ……continue just to degrade Ace & Peter. THAT IS A ADDICTION….It’s funny to see 2 men in their 60’s continue day after day act like grade school kids. Hey it’s easy to say that Ace & Pete had drug/alcohol problems….millions do , but they have really improved their lives & GOD BLESS THEM but it is very evident that Gene & Paul can’t get over their addictions ……pretty pathetic. Joe in The Cuse.

12. Sad that there is so much bitterness all around. But everyone has a right to stand up for themselves against accusations… Even if the accusations are true.

It’s funny how tension seems to dog all great rock bands.seems like the best ones use it to make great music.

13. I’m gonna throw a curveball. What really pisses me off in this article? That I’m reminded that the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers are in the RRHOF. But Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, etc aren’t. Just wow. I have yet to hear of one person who said “The Red Hot Chili Peppers were my musical inspiration to pick up a guitar or whatever. ” Unreal.

14. Darren Murphy says:

Eddie, I’m thinking “Alice Cooper” for the induction of KISS!!!

15. Gene…..

Before I wanted to comment on this I had to read the article for full context. First to say that Ace and Peter did not “earn their makeup” is like saying Thomas Edison does not earn credit for inventing the light bulb. Now I understand that you don’t want to work with Ace and Peter anymore but they are part of the legacy of this band and that is why they are inducted along with you and Paul. The Spaceman and Catman characters were those that they originated not assigned by you. Also to feign concern about Ace and Peter instead of calling either of them once in while just to catch up and see how they are doing (ex-bandmates can talk if they want). Yet you weren’t that concerned when Peter was battling cancer a few years back. Finally Ronnie James Dio must be rolling in his grave based on this interview when in the past you claimed you started the “Devil Horns” hand signal when it was him and his source being that it was from his grandmother. I’m sick of you bragging about things that you did not do.

Gene – I don’t give a rats ass if you want to continue with the current lineup (although fans are dropping like flies based on these revelations) but at least be a bit more diplomatic.

• Kiss Pinball Machine says:

The devil horns issue is accurate. Gene did do that in the mid 70s, before DIO. There were several photos of him posing that way. You just have to do the research.

16. I say send the real message simply dont support kiss anymore. I am very upset with both paul n gene about their take on performin with current kiss n have ace n peter come out . How damn insulting can the guys get especially to the fans . I have had it with these guys n their lies n gimmicks .i say its still about power n money n from the looks of everything thats exactly what their after n if u give in well theyll continue to do what makes the divide so much bigger. So wrong on so many levels.

17. How bout Ace doing the induction and the ’14 line-up walks out in full stage gear. Gene not admitting he wears wigs is like Rick Ross denying he was a prison guard.

18. Who cares anymore. The real KISS is dead for sure this time. My wife is going to see Def Leppard this summer in Toronto and didn’t even know that KISS would be there also. Is that what a 40th anniversary tour has come to? On a happy note Ace’s new album will be out soon. Gene and Paul are complete morons, I can’t wait until this tour gets cut short because of poor ticket sales. I like Ace’s comments, he really doesn’t give a s**t about these clowns, doing his own thing which is awesome!

19. You guys are EXACTLY like the people who used to make fun of Kiss when they first started out. That throw stones at anybody who dares to think big and outside the box. When you point fingers you have three pointing at yourself.

• Shouldn’t you be busy studying law at UC Berkeley you genious. What are all these cryptic odd things that you say? You said some funny shit a ways back buy now you’re giving us qualifications and resumes as well as crying and wanting to beat up DR. You need to regroup. Start over. How are you going to law school? Your second sentence doesn’t even have a subject. That throw stones……?

• Cryptic? I’m sorry if my dialectic is too much for you to comprehend. I ain’t the one personally insulting people on here “Richman,” so what I’m saying is that if you are going to personally go after someone you shouldn’t hide behind your computer. The subject is implicit in the sentence. Adios, I can’t say what your names are, because you hide behind fake names…so I’ll just go with Beavis, Butthead, et. al.

• Didn’t you say about 15 posts ago that you were so tired of this issue and couldn’t post on it anymore? And yet here you are still posting about this issue? And now your posting in response to your own posts? When you post, do you sit and stew in the dark for awhile thinking about more things to post about? And then go ‘oh yeah and another thing’. What are they teaching you at UC Berkeley Dear Shannon? Can’t you just relax and put on your favorite KISS solo album (Paul Stanley’s I believe) and just relax for awhile? Maybe think about your favorite Beatle (Ringo I believe) and all his musical contributions over the years? Or perhaps you should think about not posting your real name and telling the world that you’re at UC Berkeley. A lot of identity thieves need less information than that to ruin your credit rating and your passport. Maybe you’re eyes should start watering over that Beavis.

• Well said Richman….. well said!!! ha ha ha ha

20. flashrockinman says:

Just listening to Ace’s 1985 demo for a song called The Hurt Is On. You can almost hear what it would sound like, if he had stayed in KISS. Could be an Ace track off Hot In the Shade, in an alternate reality.

21. M.B.Smith says:

It’s sad to see that it’s come down to this, even when they were apart during most of the 80’s we never had as much mud slinging or bad mouthing about each other as there is now (not to say it isn’t warranted, they have contradicted themselves so many times through past statements and interviews that we have gotten used to hearing it over and over again) but you would think that after 40 years of the good, the bad and the ugly, the time has come for all of this to end once and for all.
    Gene and Paul, I know it started with the two of you, from there Peter and Ace joined and added their ingredients to the fold, from there each one of you developed their own characters Paul (starman) Peter (Catman), Ace (Spaceman) & Gene (Batman), from those ideas and characters KISS came to life.
    Now, were in 2014 and you have two other talented and respected musicians in the field wearing the catman and spaceman make up that Peter & Ace thought up (and yes I know they signed over the rights when they left the first time so don’t reply back about it) and having them as hired help to play their parts (at probably a lower amount in pay as well as it is a job) and yet you cant put all this B.S. aside for one night or not even that, maybe 8 hours tops, and have the four original members come out and play a few songs and accept the honor (as lame as it may be to others) become a part of rock history as it should have been a long time ago.
    No one is expecting another reunion tour or album, everyone knows we all cant do the same things we one could or want to, I know I cant and my time is limited but still I want my words out there and I even sent Peter an email and got a response back saying its sad it came to this but its not important enough to try and convince other parties to change their minds” well it is to me …end of story.

22. rtunes68 says:

How dare Paul/Gene not do what I want them to do? I am a fan! I want them to get back together w/ Ace/Peter. I want them to forgive Ace/Peter for their repeated screw ups. In fact, I want them to be ok with any sort of behavior from Ace/Peter. I also want them to split the money equally. I want them to move back to NYC because they were originally a NYC band. I want them to only play songs from the first 6 albums. I also want Eddie Trunk to quit TMS, stop writing books, and just do Metal News at 11 p.m. on Friday nights on WDHA in Dover, NJ like he used to in the early days. Oh, and I want the mullet to return. Does any of this sound unreasonable or entitled? No. Because I am a KISS fan, ergo KISS owes me everything I want…..

• Keith Gallant says:

You are absolutely correct, rtunes68. Paul and Gene have managed to keep the KISS enterprise going for the last 30 odd years without Ace and Peter, through many different incarnations. While I will always appreciate and respect the contributions Ace and Peter brought to the band, they are no longer a part of it. For “fans” to expect Paul and Gene to bow to their wishes and play on stage with them after all of crap they had to put up with is ridiculous. I compare it to a couple that divorced years ago having kids that expect them to get back together and be happy, so that they can have their fantasy of the “Brady Bunch” family. It ain’t going to happen!! Paul and Gene are happy with the way KISS is setup now. They are producing new music that they are happy with, and are touring with two guys that they can get along with. They are still making a ton of money, as far as I can tell. Why would they want to rock the boat? People need to stop living in the past, and be glad that KISS is still a viable band. There are alot of bands from that era that are not even playing anymore, let alone still touring with a terrific show (seen them in S.C. for the Monster tour) and putting out new music. Either enjoy what we have now, or don’t. But quit whining about it!

23. If Eric and Tommy aren’t ripoffs of Pete/Ace then why do their “characters” sing the same songs as their predecessors? I mean what if Eric’s voice was more similar to Ace’s? Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to sing Shock Me?

24. There is some funny stuff on here!! I have been a fan since 1983. First show was Crazy Nights at then the Brendan Byrne Arena and it was awesome!! I saw the reunion tour 3rd show in St. Louis and that was awesome!! I did the 1st & 2nd Kiss Kruises. 1st one was an awesome experience, was onstage for the Q&A. I stood next to Gene and he looked completely fucking bored sitting there. The 2nd Kruise I couldn’t wait to get off that boat!! It’s a damn shame they could not put aside their differences for 2 songs, one last time for us fans!! Some people say they are bigger now, they are not.
    If MTV and the Internet existed in the 70’s? They continue to play the same boring set list, primarily original lineup songs. How many times Platinum did Sonic Boom & Monster go? Both albums as a whole suck, some descent songs though. I get it with the Internet most bands do not sell Platinum anymore. Bottom line I can say I am done! Tommy is a great guy, Eric was a bitch during the photo shoot on the 2 2nd Kruise which ruined the picture, they do what Bosses tell them!

25. I wouldn’t read anything rolling stone publishes. The put terrorist on there covers like they where some sort of celebrity .. Fuck off rolling stone! I wouldn’t wipe my ass with your magazine

26. I think what we are missing is that the reason most of us became fans is the fact that “back in the day” we embraced not only the music, but also the mystique of KISS…we never saw them without makeup and they were larger than life super heroes. Unfortunately over the years, we have not only been fascinated with Superman, but also have been exposed to the warts of Clark Kent.
    EDDIE: I understand it’s your business to report both the Superman and the warts, but for me KISS will always be the larger than life superheroes I remember listening to while destroying my fathers tennis racquet “playing along” to Alive! in the Cobo Hall that also doubled as the family dining room in 1977.
    SO…I choose to ignore the drama and embrace the music. After all…whatever the issues, I’m sure there aren’t any of us that would say no trading our anonymous 9 to 5 existence for 5 seconds as ANY member of KISS.
    please feel free to respond directly if you wish. twdavis416@yahoo.com
    thanks for reading my post.

Terry

27. justicepit says:

Seems that band break ups almost always lead to enduring hostilities on both sides. A break up means there are definitely some kind of problems within the band. I feel all original members are at fault. Two addicts/alcoholics, one egomaniac, and one control freak…..Eventually things must come to a head. If Ace and Peter were screwed up enough to let G&P wind up with any rights to use their makeup, well……TOUGH. As well as the KISS name. You can’t fix stupidity. Paul and Gene are, first and foremost, businessmen as well smart and alert. Paul never let up on keeping a band going. If A&P had worked steps 8 & 9 of AA/NA sufficiently, maybe all four would have some love and tolerance. G&P could. work the same steps of Al-Anon. G&P should have put their differences aside for the RRHF, REGARDLESS. Fans deserve to see the original group perform. It takes two sides to continue a feud. That feud, along with fans and the RRHF, (misnomer), induction are what got their historic pic on the “Cover of the Rolling Stone”. Showmanship and catchy tunes are their claim to fame, not their awesome musical creativity. No “face paint” quite possibly would have equaled no fame for KISS.