KISS’ PAUL STANLEY COMMENTS ON ACE FREHLEY’S AND PETER CRISS’ AUTOBIOGRAPHIES STATING “THE FEW BITS I READ WERE SO RIDICULOUS THAT IT WAS FRIGHTENING TO THINK THAT EITHER OF THEM BELIEVE IT”

paulstanley400 Brian Aberback from NJ’s Steppin’ Out magazine recently spoke with KISS’ Paul Stanley. An excerpt can be read below.

Steppin’ Out: What is the main message you want people to take from your book?

Paul Stanley: I wanted to be able to write a book that shows how you can go through unsettling times and turmoil and come out on top. There’s no substitute for determination and drive. My life has a happy ending. I thought my story was something people could benefit from. My 19-year-old read the book and I got the response I hoped for. He thought it was fabulous and very inspiring.

Steppin’ Out: From the very beginning you were faced with obstacles. You were born with microtia, a birth defect in which part of your right ear is missing, and you’re also deaf in that ear. How did that affect your musical ambitions?

Paul Stanley: It never affected my music. It affected my social interactions, how I was seen and sometimes ridiculed. Music became my refuge. Although I may not hear music the same way that someone who has hearing in both ears hears it, I never missed anything because I don’t know what things would have sounded like otherwise.

Steppin’ Out: You’re the last of the original members of KISS to write a book. Have you read the other guys’ books?

Paul Stanley: Gene’s book is understandably written from him being in the center of everything, because that’s what he’s like. The other two [by guitarist Ace Frehley and drummer Peter Criss] go from being questionable to absurd. When people’s recollections are tainted by substance abuse they’re not usually people an attorney wants to put on a witness stand. The few bits I read were so ridiculous that it was frightening to think that either of them believe it. For a lot of reasons I feel I’m more objective.

Steppin’ Out: You’re being inducted into the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame, and you’re furious with the Hall. Why is that?

Paul Stanley: They are only inducting the original members. It’s disrespectful. We never could have started without [original guitarist and drummer] Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, but this band has a 40-year history that should not be ignored. The Hall of Fame people said that inducting other members who were in the band for decades and played on multi-platinum albums like [guitarist] Bruce Kulick and [late drummer] Eric Carr was a non-starter. That’s not how it has worked with other bands. There’s a commune of Grateful Dead members in there including a writer who never played an instrument and a bass player in Metallica who had only been in the band for 7 years when they were inducted. We are in the Hall of Fame not because those people want us there but because it began to look absurd not having us there. To have a band that many pop bands site as an influence and to be ignored year after year takes a lot of effort. They also wanted to strong arm us into playing with the original guys onlhy in gear and makeup and that was a nonstarter. I’ve been doing this 40 years with total pride and confidence and it would be rolling the dice.Whether it’s official or not I will be there to celebrate 40 years of this band.

The entire interview runs April 9th at so-mag.com.

Comments

1. I bet he doesn’t talk about his extensions, Gene ignored his wig action.

• Paul wears a wig when performing.

• Has for years…it’s not exactly like he’s trying to hide it either. One minute his hairs short, the next…long onstage.

• genesraccoonwig says:

How can you ignore my raccoon skull cap.

Go to Kissonline.com and orders yours today!
      For Eddie Trunk fans…I’ll add 10% to the advertised price.

2. Kiss post Ace and Peter are NOT Hall worthy, PERIOD Paul

• BurntIce says:

“Hall worthy”? Really?

So according to you, ALL the musicians inducted in RROHF deserve to be there?

If so, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Megadeth do not?

Loser!

• Past mistakes have nothing to do with this…Kiss did nothing memorable after Love Gun.

• doug r. says:

it’s amazing how wrong some people can be.

• Lol…good lord. Creatures, Lick it Up, Animalize, Revenge…all strong albums. With COTN easily being one of the top Kiss albums ever. Lets see hear…COTN tour, HITS tour, Revenge tour…all memorable tours. Okay…let’s add in the Reunion tour, arguably the biggest tour of Kiss’s career…and they did nothing memorable after Love Gun. Wrong…thanks for playing though.

• Ace and Peter should punch them out on stage at the RRHF induction.

3. bob davenport says:

eddie, I have watched and read all your thoughts on kiss and the hof , and after hearing paul and gene defend their decision , I have to side with ace, peter and with you as well, this is the hof decision [ ORIGINALS ONLY ] and they should have put together something …. although paul and gene have valid points- the kiss brand is the whole point of the band now- and I have to believe paul and gene are angry / disappointed with ace and peter -also paul and gene must have a lot of respect for tommy , eric and bruce , I’m sure they are friends , to sum up my thoughts, I believe all members in the 40 yr. history should be inducted-

4. OMG!! How many more times do you have to blast Ace and Peter about drugs and drink? JFC man!!! nd Paul really. Look in the fucking mirror bro. Your not what you were 10 yrs. ago in that Starchild Suit. And your voice is gone. Gene hardly moves and is fat. Yet your all worried about Ace and Peter up there playing and embarrassing you? So Ace would of needed to crash diet for 3 months? So fucking what. Peter looks to be better shape than any of you by the way. Your petty excuses of not doing this for KISS fans are all smoke screens. I think I speak for most KISS fans when I say. Please just hang it up. It’s over!! You stayed at the party way too long man!!! You and Gene fucked up and tarnished what you 4 original KISS members worked so hard for. Bill Aucoin would be way pissed right now. Dudes makes you a rock star by feeding you, clothing you, taking a chance on making you Rock Stars with his personal credit card. He paid the price man!! Without Bill Aucoin, Shawn Delaney And Neil Boggart you’d still be driving a cab in Queens. AGAIN PLEASE RETIRE. “GO AWAY”

• When people stop asking him about Ace and Peter, he’ll stop talking about them.

• And gene’s stupid looking wig….we all know its a wig gene!

• schocoman says:

Nope, apart from the extensions on stage, I fear it is his own hair, or what is left of it, blown up with a ton of hair spray to some kind of helmet, as he also confesses, because no wig maker of some kind would offer a client of that money such an awful wig, wigs can look much much better than this.

• Since I can’t reply below…2 mill? Hell yeah that’s a lot of money regardless of who you are or think you are. And no…the Reunion tour was NOT a guaranteed success before it started from the promoters point of view. All the top promoters refused to give Kiss the guarantee’s they were asking because they thought they’d lose money on it. That is a freaking fact. Sorry bud, I worked for one of the largest promoters in the country and they all flat out thought the tour would be marginal at best. Gene and Paul dropped the guarantee demands and decided on a 90/10 split with the promoters. Had the tour failed under that agreement or done marginal business they would have gone bankrupt…but Peter and Ace were guaranteed their money sink or fail. When Detroit sold out in 40 mins…the promoters knew they’d just screwed the pooch big time. I actually had one of the top bookers at the company laugh at me…he knew I was a huge Kiss fan and he asked…what do you think the tour will do. I said it would sellout everywhere and he laughed. Btw/ this is the same booker who put together Gibson Guitars 100th Anniversary Show in Nashville that Kiss played back in 94. Eddie can verify every single bit of this in terms of how the majority of promoters felt. They felt the band was dead makeup or not. My point…Ace and Peter made a clean 2 mill, incurred none of the expenses of a tour and did not have to worry if the tour failed or succeeded. Did Gene and Paul end making a mint off that tour…yep. But they also took a chance and rolled the dice big time. But that’s fine…think what you , I know the truth. I saw it.

• Please do NOT speak for me Bryan…respectfully I strongly disagree as a Kiss fan since 76 and who has enjoyed Kiss each year since I love and completely dig Eric and Tommy with Paul and Gene and my friends and I all have as well as our children and their friends loved the new albums and the Spider stage and the escape and thrill being a Kiss fan brings. It made me speechless to see my children and their friends go with me to Hogwild Records in san Antonio the day MONSTER was released and to see them experience exactly what I got to do as a kid the day LOVE GUN was released in stores. I again don’t het why everyone gets the need to be so ANGRY and upset over the fact that Kiss is happy today with the current group. Don’t get me wrong I love and STILL support and purchase all that Ace and Peter release and yes their is magic in that original lineup. But there are many of us that still love Kiss and while the upset original only crowd may complain louder, the fact is Eric Singer is a badass drummer and became my honest fave drummer since Revenge on. Just my opinion. Ace is still my all time favorite guitarist but I think Tommy a great guitar player,much better than Bruce and I mean that respectfully as Bruce was a great team player. Two guys who spent more years WANTING to be solo, wanting to be free of Kiss (ACE and PETER) aren’t going to ruin my respect for the two who kept up the fight to keep Kiss flag flying that the original four began. Different paint designs are not necessary for me to validate the current lineup. I’m sorry this isn’t another up in arms screaming injustice to Ace and PETER. While I will always love them, I feel the injustices they did to Kiss,the choices they made, the stunts and complaining…to me those thin

• David Bobick says:

OMG!!! Thank you dude!!! I was the biggest Kiss fan of them all and even thru Gene’s vocal “Family Jewels” days and his appropriately names “A$$HOLE” CD I was still able to put all that aside and still shell out the money to see them and just say…ok, he’s still the Demon. THIS…has killed Kiss for me and I am in FULL agreement with every single word you just said. I cannot stand Paul Stanley anymore and he has single handidly KILLED Kiss. Gene and Paul don’t want to “slap Tommy and Eric in the face” but are more than willing to degrade this experience for Ace and Peter and speak of them as trivialities when THEY are 2 of the 4 reasons why Kiss is still around. Kills me. I bought a ticket to the Summer tour (5th row center) and it will take a SEVERELY altered setlist for me not to sell said ticket for a thousand dollars. Really, I figure they made enough money off of me…now it’s time for a little payback. Good for you dude…all of it well said. \m/

5. S.Falls \m/ says:

Judas, enough already.
    Dead horse BEATEN once AGAIN.
    Being the son of an alcoholic who liked to beat on me when he came home drunk, BUT is now RECOVERED, I have nothing but disdain for Paul & Gene’s continued bashing of Ace & Peter’s PAST.
    I LOVE my father today and would NEVER remind him of the past because he KNOWS & REGRETS what happened in the PAST.
    Does anyone hear Ace & Peter bashing Gene & Paul in the media building up to this monumental moment in KISSTORY?
    ENUFF ALREADY!!!

• doug r. says:

well said my friend, well said.

• Uh, yeah…for a near decade Ace and Peter bashed them before the Reunion tour. Where were all you people then? As soon as each members 25% stake in the band ran out the insults started flying from A & P. You guys thinking this is something new need to do a little research on old Rock Mags, and Guitar Mags from the 80’s and 90’s. Yep, Ace and Pete bashed them aplenty. In fact there was a Guitar World around the time of the Revenge era lineup where the Paul and Gene finally started firing back. Mr. Trunk himself knows what I’m talking about. Rocks have been thrown for decades by both sides but Ace and Peter opened the can of worms. That’s a fact.

• John Gross says:

Gene and Paul have always lobed insults to Ace and Peter. I read stories from as far back as Lick It Up where they would take shots at them. In the years since it has only gotten worse. BTW not taking the makeup off is a slap in the face and an insult. I understand that if Kiss went back to performing no one would show anymore, but I also know their attendance numbers would be low if they tried to go out without bands like Def Leppard and Motley Crue.

• Doesn’t change the fact that it all started with Peter when the original contracts ran out. Peter started bagging on them about trying to derail his solo career and his “supposed” book that he was writing where he was gonna spill the beans as far back as 85. As for Ace…not true during the LIU era, they remained on good terms for quite awhile. Lots of pics out there with Paul and Gene jamming with Ace in the clubs during this era. Regardless, are you going to sit there and let someone hammer away on you without saying anything. I doubt it. Personally, I was finally glad when Gene and Paul started firing back. However at this point I’d wish they’d all just stop.

6. Oh yeh Paul we’re automatically suppose to believe the bullish*t in your book then i guess.

• All things Kiss says:

Considering he was sober for that entire time, yes.

• Dude…Pete flat stated he was never in another band after Kiss. Umm hello Pete…what about Balls of Fire? The Keep? What, did he just forget those two…bands. I mean were talking about a guy that won’t even answer the door to his home because he’s afraid someone’s going to get him. Yeah I’d say Paul’s book is the closest of the three’s when it comes to what really happened. Of course that won’t fit the agenda of the Peter and Ace fanboys.

7. Frank W says:

Looks like we’re gona have a rock and roll feud tonight!

8. Frank Ormstead says:

I cant wait to see KISS this upcoming tour. My next show will be number 74. I loved some more than others, but ALL WERE GREAT. As a KISS fan it is disappointing that they are not going to take the roof off the place, but I get it. Screw the UNHOLY ELITE of the hall.

9. God shut up paul…you’re done as a musician because you’re voice is shot and you’re a miserable prick just like gene!! You and gene are the laughing stocks of the original 4! Ace was the right musician to be done with the band after the FAREWELL tour, and you guys screwed peter over!! So just be done and stick to your paintings and let gene be a business man somewhere else in this world!! Thanks for ruining an once kick ass band!!

• ‘screwed Pete over’. Hilarious. Outside of Ringo Star, Peter Crisscola is the luckiest SOB in the history of music. Screwed him how? By paying him $2M for a tour when he couldn’t fill a club? Fuck Pete’s legend is growing by the hour. This is the greatest thing that could ever happen to him. You conveniently forget how that cat fucked over every KISS fan there was in the early 80’s. Enjoy the good ol days like we all should. But stop martyring the dude for fuck’s sake. I’m an original four guy like most. But even I’d like to think I possess a little more perspective than the shit that is coming out of some people right now.

• doug r. says:

sounds like you’re on gene’s payroll.

• Hows that Doug? Because the truth doesn’t fit your agenda? Everything DR said was the truth. Pete and Ace whine and moaned because 2 mil a tour wasn’t enough. Let’s see here…get out of bed whenever in a 5 star hotel, eat catered meals, mosey on down to the arena in a limo, put on your makeup, mosey on down to the stage…play music for an hour and half to 20k screaming fans, get cleaned up, eat a catered meal again…party/women/hotel in any particular order that you wish, all the while be waited on hand and foot by a half dozen people, fly to the next gig in a private jet, hit reset and do it all again. 2 mill to do that say 130 times…wow, must be tough to be those guys.

• schocoman says:

The problem is, 2 mill sounds a lot, to us, but how many mill do you think P and G each made at the same time?? Do not tell me they were taking a big risk, everyone could have foreseen that this tour would become absolutey huge. A cash cow. And remember, they too desperately needed the other original two to make the band successful again at a point when they were clearly on the decline for years. Listen to “Carnivcal”, do you think that grunge record would have brought back success? No way. So I think yes I see why A and P feel like they have been nobbled. And also, had Ace decided to stay after the Farewell tour, he would problably still be in the band because they know people want to see him, that is why they make Tommy look and sound like him whereas Bruce did his own interpretation at a time when there was no reason to copy the make-up era as it seemed to be gone forever, but today it is just prolonging the look and therefore succces of the reunion tours for yet another “mill”.

• doug r. says:

so JB & DR must be one in the same moron.

• doug the next time you have something of value to say will be the first time. All you do is cheap shot others comments with nothing substantial to offer other than your emotions. We all get it. You think Peter wrote all of Destroyer while Ace produced it. Dude we’d all love the original four out there. But it ain’t happening. Another thing anyone who cares about what KISS does at that lame ass hall of fame should really take a step back and wonder what they’re asking for. Who gives a shit about it Doug? Would it make you feel better if they got on stage and played rock n roll all night for the two millionth fucking time? Dude it’s not 1979 anymore and Ace isn’t really from outer space and Pete’s not really a feline. Like Chad said earlier, I’m just happy my kids listen to KISS and go to the concerts instead of the fuckin Biebs for fucks sake. But that’s ok Doug. You stay bitter and hope that someone pays for this crime. After all you spent several hundred dollars over the years and so now your owed. Go listen to Destoyer and enjoy all the solos you think Ace played on.

• Uhh DR. you got great points there……can’t argue with that whole post. You’re spot on, I would rather see my kid see this version of Kiss than Bieber or anything else like that. Joe in a The Cuse

• doug r. says:

DR, what in the hell are you talking about?? nevermind, nothing you say matters anyway!

• doug r. says:

only “cheap” shot your comments because they really don’t make any sense, well maybe JB as well, this is the last time I’m going to respond to either of you, have no more time for people like you.

10. doug r. says:

forget about who remembers what for a moment, so ace & peter will never perform in kiss again, congratulations paul, you & gene get your way, too bad us fans don’t. all we wanted (not a reunion) was just to see our band the original kiss perform together one more time, one last time, it would have been great. reliving that magic, that feeling of, now we can all move on, have it end on a good note, but maybe that’s it, maybe you & gene don’t want anybody to move on because then nobody will still be around to pay attention to “today’s kiss”. something’s better than nothing right? well speaking for myself, maybe I would have paid more attention to “today’s kiss” if ace & peter weren’t impersonated by tommy & eric, I don’t care “if” they sold the rights to their characters or however else you & gene want to try & justify it, ace frehley & peter criss always have been and always will be the one & only spaceman & catman! now & forever! so instead of one more REAL kiss performance, we get nothing, hope you & gene are happy, because we fans are not. MOST OF US!

• Ace and Peter got their way in not wanting Tommy and Eric perform at the HoF in their makeup. The only compromise is that no one is performing, regardless of lineup.

11. Scott McGee says:

I can see Paul’s point on not inducting all members of Kiss, but being a fan of the Grateful Dead I have to add this. He keeps commenting on the “commune of Grateful Dead members” that were inducted, yet the Dead only had 1 more member in their history than Kiss has had. He makes it seem like hundreds of people played in the Dead, and I think has even said “hundreds”. Personally, I’ll be glad when it’s all over with. But then, if people quit asking them about it, maybe they’d quit talking about it. Nah, probably not.

• Well that’s his point… They let in. 11 Dead members but don’t want to give KISS more than the founding four. Four is still less than 11 if I recall.

• Ryan B. says:

Luke, at a couple of different points in the Dead career, there were 7 people on stage that comprised the band. They never have been a four man band. Five people in the band were the least amount and that was for a brief time in the early 70’s when one of their drummers took a break, and before the new keyboardist’s wife joined on to do backing vocals. Othewise you are looking at a band that has always been 6 or 7 people comprising the band. This has never been a band with hundreds of members and bass players being replaced each year, a new drummer, etc, etc, but instead a band that replaced keyboardists a few times due to death and differences.

• Not my point. What difference does it make that the gratefuldead have 7 people on stage? KISS had about 10 over their forty year career. So who came up with 11 members of the Dead but only 4 of KISS? If the Dead had enough important members that they needed 10 slots, fine. But why can’t Eric Carr be in? Why not Kulick? These are people who have had major milestones in Kiss-tory. Who makes the rules that KISS only needs four slots?

And I am not getting into the writer getting in. I mean gimme a break. A writer should go in as a writer, not a band member. If you don’t perform on stage, you are not part of the band. You are a consultant, a producer or writer. NOT band. I don’t care how important you are to the band. There have to be some limits. But let’s not turn that into an arguement lol. This thread is about KISS

• Sadly the Ace and Peter fans clearly could care less about the other guys…I credit Paul for at least fighting for Carr, Kulick etc… At least he’s saying…Eric Carr, Bruce, Singer…those are important guys in the history of the band. Without a doubt Eric Carr is…without him Kiss probably never continues. I totally agree with Paul…they should all go in. It doesn’t negate Ace and Peter’s contributions in any way…no original four, no Kiss period. Further if people really want to be mad…be mad at the RRHOF for ignoring them for a decade and half and then…as Paul points out, putting stipulations on exactly who was or wasn’t important in the 40 year history of the band. Kinda like going to your birthday party and not be allowed to open your presents.

• S.Falls \m/ says:

@JB
            I believe you’re throwing everyone into a group. I believe KISS should go in as a band as a whole,(Pauls View as well) but KISS is NOT the only band to have this happen to them.
            That part is really a MUTE point.
            Now, WHY are they getting inducted? BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC THE ORIGINAL FOUR MADE. PERIOD END OF STORY.
            All these people talking about what they did post Ace & Peter, OK let’s wipe out EVERYTHING Kiss did with the original four. Guess what….NO HALL OF FAME.
            That’s not taking a side, it’s the freaking truth and Gene & Paul’s pomp-ASS views on the whole deal don’t exist today without what the original four did.
            It IS that simple.

• Ryan B. says:

Agree, Scott McGee. I don’t even feel like explaining the ignorance level upon which this Stanley fella operates when it comes to the Grateful Dead. The only position in the band they replaced was the keyboard player a few times, and Mickey Hart rejoined the band after a break. And Robert Hunter (that is the “writer’s” name Paul spoke of) was an extremely important force in all of the Dead’s success because as much as people focus on the jams of the Dead, the lyrics are what brings those jams home.

12. jack wood says:

These dudes are milking this for all that it is worth. What a sham.

13. schocoman says:

Oh, I cannot stand his talk anymore, he just so self-important and always twisting the truth to meet his current ends – He thinks he is so smart when it is so obvious he is deceiving. He and being objective? Haha. The only one out there possibly being more of a hypocrite and idiot is the one who believes all that crap and buys the book. Every word he says screams: I will take revenge for the disenchantment of my person in Ace’s and Peter’s book!

14. I think Tommy and Eric deserve to be in there but not in Ace and Peter’s makeup. Induct the four originals with their makeup, Eric Carr in his makeup, and Bruce Kulick, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer without makeup. Vinnie Vincent and Mark St. John weren’t around long enough to make a difference.

• E Black says:

Vinnie Vincent saved their asses when they needed it the most. He was a talented guitar player and songwriter. Hell, he still wrote for KISS after he was kicked out. Please explain to me how Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer deserve to be inducted into the Hall OF Fame? Especially Thayer, who has done nothing but impersonate Ace Frehley for twelve years.

• Uhh if it wasn’t for Vinny —— Gene & Paul were F. U. C. K. E. D. And that is a absoult FACT!!—–Joe in The Cuse

• He did save their butts and no doubt woulda been invited like Kulick and the other guys had he half a brain. However, do you still wanna hang out with someone who’s trying to junk punch time and time again or are you eventually going to say dude, enough. GTFO. I mean how many times can you sue somebody and still be welcomed to the party.

• Eric Heaton says:

Tommy did order one helluva pasta dish for peter..lol

15. Drag!

16. randy rock says:

I think paul said a good thing.the other members should be inducted to. there’s three sides to every story.in this case there’s four lol.

17. SCOTT WHITAKER says:

When I first saw the documentary on the MTV Unplugged Video (not the Kissology 3 version). I started to see Paul as full of sh**, if you have it go back and look at it . Look at Bruce’s face when he talks about the future of the band. I think it says it all.

18. milkman says:

ROCK N ROLL OVER is a decent effort similar to THE MOB RULES. Nothing great but some high points.

19. All autobiographies are self-indulgent mutations of reality. Or, using a Kiss lyric, there’s a fine line between the truth and how we want it to be. If you believe Ace or Peter’s books to be reality, then you clearly believe that because you really want them to be the good guys and Gene and Paul to be pricks. If you believe Gene and Paul’s books, you clearly want their versions to be the truth. Eddie will side with Ace. Nikki Sixx will side with Paul. Everyone will stick with their friends or their favorites and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

20. Frank Smith says:

I despise the RRHOF, but all this KISS nonsense has me starting to understand why they snubbed them for so long. These two ingrates, Paul & Gene are beyond ridiculous continuing to harp on the past of the other members. Further, the drama surrounding who has the right to costumes and fake characters is embarrassing. If I want to see a bunch of old folks dress up in clown makeup, I’ll visit my Grandma at the senior center.

21. Rik Page says:

I, for one, have spent my last dime on any kiss product….I am tired of the 2, maybe 3, good songs (emphasis on the word MAYBE) that are produced with every album……Id love to support Ace and his solo stuff if he makes it around my area but no more of my dollars will be spent in support of this band….

22. Look at the net worth of ex Kiss members, most are well below what you’d expect. Robert Hunter was a major force in the Dead, his lyrics made the band sing-a-long compared to jam time. Kulick on the other hand should get nothing. Vinny is still throwing tunes at Swift monthly hoping for the house payments if recorded. Look at Gene in his sex video, he’s more out of shape than Ace.

23. Paul's wig says:

They should have never sold the rites to there makeup to gene and Paul ..

24. Chuck B says:

Dear Kiss Fans –
    Why are we still talking about Ace and Peter? I have loved this band for 35 years and I have no issues with KISS less Ace and Peter. As a matter of fact, Creatures, Lick it Up, Animalize and Revenge are better than any 70’s studio KISS albums (except maybe KISS). You are stuck in a time warp. If anyone saw the HITS Tour or the Revenge Tour then you know what I am talking about. If the RRHoF was truly paying tribute to our band, they would be bring Bruce, Eric C, Eric S and Tommy along with the rest. The HoF wanted to shut us up so they could go about their business. Ace and Peter helped create something special and then dumped all over it. It is like having to stay with your wife even if she keep cheating on you cause you own a house together. I have played with talented drunks and it is NO FUN! It is even more SAD. One last thing, no one cares how many EAGLES there are. Or who was the original bass player in The Heartbreaks. No one is telling Springsteen to break up The E Street Band cause Clarence is dead and Steven is on tv. Do we really care that Wolfie is playing bass with VH? Are we upset that Iron Maiden has had 3 vocalist? Judas Priest has had 2 and multiple guitar players. Do we care who Batman or Superman are as long as the movie is good? How many Bonds has there been. KISS is more than just a band. It is a music act. KISS I went to sleep in 1979, but the dragon still breaths fire. Just sit back and have fun with it.

• Ben Dover says:

This ⤴️

• S.Falls \m/ says:

Creatures yeah(BTW Gene did NOT play base on every track) is solid but your view that LIU, Animalize, & Revenge are better than anything they did in the seventies is INSANE to say the least.
        Great music is GREAT music.
        NOT very many bands make their best music 10 albums into their career.
        When looking at music, it’s NOT living in the past………IT’S CALLED REALITY.

• joe pensanti says:

You obviously do not get it. Comparing Kiss to The Eagles and E street band? WHAT are you talking about? Kiss and the Beatles are the only 2 rock bands in HISTORY that each had members that were instantly recognizable and had equal fan adoration. The 31 flavors concept. A RARITY. You sound like Paul in your post. And I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if you ARE Paul lol

• Easily one of the best posts on this subject ever. Unfortunately…way to much common sense for the average Ace and Peter knuckle head to understand.

• Uhh Chuck “why are we still talking about Ace & Peter”???? BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THEY STILL MATTER…..DUHHHHHHH —– wow you seriously can’t teach stupid on here….Joe in The Cuse

• Evidently not as much as some of you want to believe. 40 years and Ace and Peter were part of less than half of it. So evidently it didn’t matter to a lot of fans. They still sold albums…some better than others, they still toured…some better than others and they continue to do so today without Ace and Peter. So while important to the beginning of Kiss’s career and important at various time through out, and no argument that Kiss is bigger with Ace and Peter it still doesn’t change the fact that Kiss has survived without them.

The bigger question…the one that many of the Ace and Peter knuckle heads won’t address is…would Kiss have survived without Gene and Paul. Well, we all know the answer to that…NO. Yet they “did” without Ace and Peter. So really…who mattered more. You don’t even have to teach a “stupid” person that.

• schocoman says:

That is only because the singers are the one members of the band – always! – that appeal most to the audience because for the general audience the song, thus also the singer, is much more important than, say, the guitar solo and who’s drumming. In each band th singer will th song and the band a ‘face’, that is inevitable. Guitar players might think the songs are there for the solos (I am one myself), but in fact that is not true. So in this case accidentally Gene and Paul are the ones without whom the band would not be recognizable,you can make Tommy sound almost like Ace, but weher is on who could sound like Gene’s or Paul’s voice?? Some major bands have tried to find a new singer with a similar voice, but in the end there is no way no do it. But it does not mean what you intended to say, that G and P were more important seeing a band and a band’s chemistry and power from within!

• S.Falls \m/ says:

Yeah people do care.
      Don Felder is amazing. Wolfie while no offense to him or Eddie is NO Michael Anthony, especially when it comes to harmonizing vocals.
      Three vocalists in Maiden? Paul, Bruce, & WHO? Blaze was a pimple on the ass of Maiden history.
      And YES fans DO CARE.

• John Gross says:

one question for you then? Why isn’t their set list comprised of songs from those albums? If we are to believe your take. I get music is subjective to the listener but those comments border on insane. The non makeup Kiss was a second rate “’80’s band”. Again spend most of the 80’s playing theatres or half filled arenas.

• steelerfan says:

That was my thought. Probably 80% of their setlists are pre-1980.

• schocoman says:

Of course it is for a good reason, and the reason is to prolong (part of) the success of the reunion as along as possible to keep the cash flowing. Paul says A and P did not/were not able to learn more songs during the three tours, what an obvious lie. Actually, they did “Into the void” and one song from the non-make up era that I presently do not remeber the name of (> Kissology 3), so what? They themselves could be blamed for that looking at their setlist from 2002 until now … the real reason even back then surely was to keep the atmosphere of the reunion and the revival of the classic period alive (for the same abovementioned reason), not that A and P would be so deranged as tonot being able or willing to learn two more songs they once knew. It’s all hypocracy!

25. I Loved Kiss 1973 – 2000!

I think Kiss passed on in 2001!
    I am so tired of hearing about the stupid Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and Paul and Gene’s rants, I wish it was over and done like Kiss in 2001!

26. joe pensanti says:

Paul always used to say that you shouldn’t stay at the party too long. Well, Paul, the party ended in 2001. Why are you still at the party…? Everybody at the party is talking about your shot singing voice, but you still hoist your glass to yourself and say it’s for us, the fans. Nobody likes to see the drunk guy ruin the party and embarrass himself and make everyone uncomfortable, and nobody likes to see the aging Starchild’s inflated sense of self-importance trump reality. The host and hostess of the party tried dropping hints, but you are still here. Us fans, your bosses, are sickened by your delusion. Listen to yourself. You are a myriad of soundbites, marketing savvy, and with a predisposition to exalting yourself. You haven’t listened to the core, longtime fans in many, many years. It’s sad to watch. Too bad you can’t see it from your ivory tower, pal.

27. Here are some statistics on the importance of Peter in KISS. Did not write a song on the first three albums, he was only allowed to sing( Strange Ways, Getaway) on some songs because Ace wrote but was not comfortable singing at that point and other songs ( Black Diamond, Nothin to Lose, Mainline), Paul and Gene and producers let him sing just to keep him from whining. All these songs could have been sung by someone else and would not have missed a beat. Finally, sort of,wrote a song with Beth(Bob Ezrin had to basically rewrite the whole thing) and with a lot of luck became a huge hit. Beth is basically not a KISS song and it gave Peter delusions that he actually had talent. He did not write Hard Luck Woman and the song probably would have been better with Paul singing it or even Rod Stewart for whom it was intended. Baby Driver and Hooligan are decent songs but probably the worst songs on their respective albums. Basically does not appear again on a KISS studio album except for the piece of crap Dirty Livin’ on Dynasty. Must have been nice to have your face on the cover of albums and lie to the public that it was actually you playing huh Pete. So overall Peter appeared on 6 Kiss studio albums and wrote 4 songs. Any of his solo work is unlistenable, he has never been offered to be in any other bands. His drumming ability is less than average, I have read stories of record producers making fun of it. I for one have seen his drum solo one time, and it was intolerable, every other time I went to see KISS with Peter, I took his drum solo as an opportunity to go to the bathroom. And yet I have to watch Peter come on TV and declare how important he was in the history of KISS and how hurt he was that Paul and gene will not let him play. What a bunch of garbage. Nobody should be playing. Paul’s voice is shot, ace hits one out of every ten notes correctly and Peter is lucky if he can lift a drumstick. The real tragedy in all this, as I have said a million times is that Eric Carr is not being inducted at all. He is far more deserving than Peter. Shame on Gene and Paul for allowing that to happen. That is what they should be criticized for, not for not wanting to perform with Peter Criss, who never respected how lucky he truly was.

• Ben Dover says:

I agree that Peter Criss is one lucky bastard. In fact they all are. I sometimes wonder how the whole Kiss story would have evolved if P & G found better and more committed people to join up with. Maybe they wouldn’t even had considered makeup and costumes. Or if they did how the critics would have responded to them with above averge musical talent.

I stopped being fan of the music a long time ago. Now it’s just a part of a much bigger picture for me. I sit back and watch this soap opera unfold like a tv show. I have no control of the plot or story but I enjoy each and every filthy little piece of it. That’s what KISS is to me, a guilty pleasure tv show that we all talk about. Some hate it, some love it but we all participate one way or another. A new episode and plot twist is right around the corner.

• joe pensanti says:

You have all valid points, yet nobody dresses as Tommy Thayer for Halloween. Point being, the original Kiss is iconic and no matter what happened or who wrote what or this song or that song etc etc etc, it will ALWAYS be Gene, Paul, Peter, Ace that the world will remember long after they are dead and gone. That’s powerful. And Gene and Paul know this. It’s bigger than music. You say “Ace”, people get it. It’s like saying “Ringo”. That’s iconic. Bottom line is what will people remember? Eric Singer? Please.

• Pretty much dead on John…agree.

• S.Falls \m/ says:

Dirty Livin a pos? WOW.

28. Can anyone tell me why every story on Kissonline features either Paul or Gene or both but rarely Thomas Thayer or Eric Singer? Why aren’t Tommy & Eric involved with LA Kiss or Rock N Brews? How come Thayer & Singer are barely mentioned in this whole ordeal except by Paul & Gene? Because they don’t matter nearly as much as Ace & Peter! Fact!

• joe pensanti says:

Yes, we all want to know about Copycat’s watch collection and Tommy’s golf shindigs. Add a football team and Rock and Brews with a bunch of coheadline tours because they can’t fill arenas in America anymore, and you have got yourself Kiss 2014. How exciting!

• schocoman says:

Tommy and Eric are employees in Kiss, they are not employees or even shareholders in these other businesses that Paul and Gene have started. I thought that was pretty clear.

29. joe pensanti says:

The Gene and Paul Experience love to try to convince themselves that whatever it is that they put their hands to, it is “for the fans”. The reality is, it is solely for themselves. I can count the classic KISS sounding songs on their last 3 studio records on one hand, and one of those songs is “Out of this world”. It’s sad when Tommy knows Kiss better than Gene and Paul. I hope they are treating him really well, because he is a lot more valuable to them than they know. That being said, I cannot see one good reason why the original 4 cannot give us longtime fans one more time on stage. 2 songs. That’s it. The only thing I can think of is Paul’s voice. It sounds awful, and the last thing Paul wants to do is sound bad in front of his peers. Whether he admits it or not, he craves respect. You know, I have been a Kiss fan since 1976. For 38 years, I feel as if I kind of “know” the members. You longtime Army members know exactly what I am talking about. The saddest part of Kiss is that Gene and Paul think we are idiots. The same boring soundbites. The same ego inflated blah blah, over and over and OVER. I used to be proud to be a Kiss fan. Now, not so much. We fully realize Kiss probably cannot do a reunion tour again. We get that. But if they are so concerned with what the fans REALLY want, and feel that what Kiss has marketed the last 13 years is truly strong, they should have no problem doing 2 songs with Ace and Peter. It reminds me of someone who wins big at the lottery and then forgets about his friends back home that he grew up with. All the excuses in the world cannot hide the fact that he is being a douche.

30. Ace/ Peter should get up on the hall of fame stage and jam without Gene/ Paul as as a big surprise and pan over to Gene/ Paul and see the look on there faces. It would be so classic!

31. Peter’s been a fuck-up for decades. Didn’t he put up for sale a show in Connecticut right after he left Kiss, cancelled it and kept the money? How bout his NYC show back then that had 165 people show up and he drank himself to tears. Kulick won’t say a word…he’s inked contracts to replace Thayer if he’s injured. I’m sure Doc has offers from Live Nation for the real line-up up the gazoo.

• joe pensanti says:

Great, that’s all we need is The Tree as SpaceBruce. The man has the stage presence of an average musician or session player. The only memorable lead he ever played is on that awful song Tears are Falling.

• schocoman says:

Bruce is probably the best guitarist the band has ever had, from the point of musicality, but, and that is often the case with truly great players, does not have a stage presence anywhere near the others. But he is probably fine with that as he has never said anything official that was to bash somebody else, he is OK. So no need to bash him here.

• schocoman says:

Btw, I remember that I saw him doing a clinic in a small club over here in Cologne (he played live to demos of Revenge and explained the writing and recording of the songs, hell, was he good) to which the Dutch fanclub of Kiss came and they told me that the reunion was coming on when I did not have a clue about it because the media here had not yet taken up the subject; Bruce of course was asked what was going on in Kiss and how he felt about it, he was a true gentleman, he wished them all the luck. I think, from what we see on the MTV unplugged, he must have seen it coming.

32. joe pensanti says:

Eddie, thank you very much for giving us fans the opportunity to express our feelings on your site. You truly are The Spokesman for all the passion involving the music we all cherish. Keep up the awesome work, fellow brother in rock!

33. shame on paul and gene and the hall of lame!

34. I would beat the living crap out of paul at the ceremony if I was ace or peter.

35. Paul should stick with drawing penises instead of embarrassing himself everyday in the press.

36. eddie, I give you all the credit in the world for doing all that you do you truly are THE SPOKESMAN!!

37. Basically Gene & Paul have gotten their way EVERYTIME….their Attys have never lost any of their lawsuits. Well this is the 1st and probably last time Gene & Paul don’t get their way…..and they are pissed off. So unfortuantly their very true colors are shining and they are taking all anger issues out on Ace & Peter. Extremely pathetic human behavior, CLEARLY Gene & Paul have some real serious issues going on with themselves…..& I believe it all isn’t with Ace & Peter but like I said…..they are both taking all their issues out on them. Sorry but if some disagree that’s fine but you don’t really need to be in the medical field to figure Gene & Paul’s emotional issues.—and let’s make this point clear & honest…..Gene & Paul have been hammering Ace & Peter since they both left in the very early 80’s, -Joe in The Cuse

• And again…Joe in the Cuse is dead wrong. So Joe…your new to the party huh. Guess you never read all the old Rock magazines and Guitar magazines in the 80’s and 90’s where Pete (when someone bothered to even give him an interview) and Ace bashed Paul and Gene at will. The bashing started when their 25% (meal ticket) stake in the band ran out. Gene and Paul didn’t really start defending themselves until the earl 90’s at best around the Revenge era…that’s a fact.

Mental/emotional issue’s? Who’s the member that went mental on the hotel staff if his windows didn’t have tin foil on them. Who’s the member that had 20 different prescriptions for legal and non legal drugs at his beside each night, who’s the member that had to tour with a $20,000 dollar custom made case to hold all his liquor, who’s the member that had to have the road crew roll him out to the stage each night on a dolly, who’s the member who “actually” did check himself into a mental institution (or at least claims that he did with no verifiable proof), who’s the member that starts his book off with a gun in his mouth, who’s the member that refuses to answer the door to his home because he’s afraid “someone” is out to get him, who are the members that bitched and moaned because they were ONLY getting paid 2 mill to play on average about 125 shows a year which roughly averages around 16-18k show. Hell, I could on. I mean seriously though, bitching and whining because your only getting nearly 20 grand a show to play music for and hour and half…and you question who has mental or emotional issue’s. Oh and you do realize Pete and Ace didn’t have to pay any tour expenses, you know….the cost of travel by private coach, limo and jet, insurance costs from the crew to the arena’s, rental costs for the arena’s, rental costs for equipment, road crew salaries, hotel rooms, meals etc… Not one dime came out of their pocket to pay for all that…Gene and Paul don’t get paid until all those expenses are paid. All Ace and Peter had to do was get up and play for us each night (you know, the one thing Peter says is his passion yada, yada) without bitching and moaning and go home and count their money. And again…you question who has emotional issue’s. Get a clue.

• Brian B says:

Nice JB.

• Chris J Saari says:

I think Ace and Peter would have been happy to pay tour expenses if they both got a 25% cut like the old days. Plus you better believe that with every tour expense Doc [I'm dealing if you need some] McGee would have tax loop holes and write offs to almost even it out.
        When it comes to Peter’s Solo stuff I’d rather listen to his stuff than Paul’s or Gene’s, though One for all was just ok in my opinion.
        As for Peter’s writing of Songs, most of what he did were Stan Pendridge written with some help from Peter here and there ; also Paul and especially Gene Loved Peter’s Gravel voice the same way they do Eric Singer’s.

• schocoman says:

Now I really AM sad for poor old G and P for all the expenses they have to pay and then have to pick up the crumbs of what is left over … let me see: 10,000 people (in one of th maller venues) who bought a ticket, average 80 $ each, 10,000 for Tommy, 10,000 for Eric, the expenses you mentioned, now how many crumbs will be left for them to pick up and starve? And that is all true for EVERY stage production of that kind out there. Nothing extraordinary to turn into an argument. What about Tommy and Eric? Do they pay for the expenses of the shows, do they buy kerosine for th jet, or do they just get paid a fixed amount of money every year?? OK, they are not whining, because as mployees (as opposed to founding members) they do not have the guts to do so.

38. ziggy stardust. says:

In my opinion I think it’s sad for It to come down to this no matter how paul and gene feel about Ace and Peter they could have and should have respected what got them were they are today and it’s because of Ace and Peter and us the fan’s of the original kiss bottom line, to me Peter Paul Gene and Ace are KISS.

39. Seriously though folks all this drama just gets in the way of the music. I enjoy all formats of KISS, some more than others, but I could put in any KISS album and enjoy most of it. Top to bottom I would put their entire catalog against any band. The drama kills and it’s a waste of time when you could be playing music. Look what it has done to Van Halen, I love both Dave and Sammy VH but look at how many years were wasted by Eddie over god knows what. I just wanna Rock and Roll all Nite and Party Every Day! The bickering is ridiculous.

• S.Falls \m/ says:

I agree, but like Van Halen & GNR, the Kiss induction sure appears to be going down as a JOKE.
      Senior citizens acting liking little babies.
      It’s true, you go out just like you came in………….kicking, crying, and screaming.
      The hall should just show a couple tunes from live shows back in the seventies and call it good.
      Either that or have Zombie play a couple tunes.

40. Just put differences aside for once accept the induction and see ya later.

41. Ya, “see ya later” at the Pepsi Center with the two pretenders acting out Ace & Peter. Hey Doc, get Live Nation to up the loot for the ’78 show in the Fall. Hey Jann, when’s Deep Purple or The Moody Blues getting in? Linda Ronstadt had the greatest voice in the past 50 years and you put in Bonnie Raitt in first…she learned from Linda you ass. Boy Toy or family Jann, who is at the table? Jann Wenner sucks. Kulick ought to be glad he’s in the building, nobody cares.

42. Both Ace and Peter have done their books and told their sides of the KISStory and I’m looking forward to Paul’s book next week. With all 4 original KISS members putting out books, we now have the story of KISS told from them. I also need to read Nothing To Lose as well.

• Joe Pensanti says:

Nothin’ To Lose is an excellent book.

• Chris J Saari says:

Van
      Get Lydia Criss’ Book Sealed With a Kiss!
      It had the Best old photo’s and is a Great Read from someone who was there from the beginning of KISS to well after the make up came off.

43. genesraccoonwig says:

That pic of Paul needs a Caption….here is mine:

“Dude Looks Like a Lady”

44. Canvilella says:

don’t know if anyone has said this here, but didn’t Peter play with Tommy using Ace’s makeup and Ace with Eric on Peter’s? THEY WERE BOTH OK WITH IT WHEN THE MONEY WAS THERE! and now they are all like “oh, it’s disrespectful!” BULLSHIT!

45. eddie, please don’t take a break from your site again. this thread is more entertaining than kiss’ last 2 albums. thank you

46. Gene & paul Lie all the time and there books are about half the truth come on guys you know how pauls acting now just tell’s you he’s full of him self !

47. Would paul please shut the f#%k up and go away. He is embarrising himself.

48. STEVE B says:

That’s it Paul cast stones at those who made you famous (P&A) if keeping others down and highlighting their faults helps you live with yourself. Go for it. Your voice is SHOT! the end is near.

49. Staten Island Clown here….. that is actually pretty good…Nice one, Beavis.

50. MetalMike says:

Although I hate all this stupid drama surronding KISS, I am happy they are not playing at the RRHOF. Let’s be honest, they would probably play Deuce, Detroit and R & R all Night…..BORING….as a fan since 76, but not following them as closely anymore, I would die to see the 4 play She…, but that would never happen……….I hope they just say their Thank You’s and walk off stage……….Then Gene and Paul tell us that they have a new line of Tampons….LMAO!!!