7/3: HAPPY 4TH, LATEST UPDATE.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe 4th of July holiday weekend. My FM radio show this weekend celebrates the 4th with an all new all American hard rock and metal special. Might not seem like a big deal as far as a radio special but think about how many bands I play on a regular basis that excludes. So it opens some time for other artists maybe not played as often too. It is on Q104.3 11P ET as usual and all stations that run my show each and every week usual day and time. Full list under Live & On The Air.

Excited to welcome back WAAF/Boston which starts airing the show a week from Friday from 11P-2A. I’ll be in Boston with Don & Jim at The Wilbur 8/2.

Judas Priest are doing a signing this Tuesday to celebrate the release of their new album at The Hard Rock in Times Sq. Starts at 6:30 and you must purchase the new album from FYE at The Hard Rock to get it signed. It will be Rob, Richie and Glenn and only copies of new album will be signed.

SO much great new music out there. Buy it, support it, listen for it on my shows. Stuff I am listening to now includes Slash, Overkill, Mastodon, Fozzy, Priest, Accept, Tesla, Night Ranger and much more. Great time for new music so check it out.

My debut podcast launches 7/10 via Podcast One. Should have a link to subscribe very soon. www.podcastone.com will also post and you can listen there. More details on guests soon. I will also be answering email from you guys on the podcast. Send them to me via Contact Us on this site and put “Podcast Question” in the subject.

Appreciate everyone asking about new episodes of TMS however when we do them is 100% up to VH1. Right now the latest is not until early next year unfortunately. I have no control over this at all and also wish we did more per year. For now enjoy the replays and set your DVR to catch them all. They run constantly from all seasons. Thanks.

Comments

1. Eddie,
    Still hoping you check out the new album from Teramaze called “ESOTERIC SYMBOLISM.” I’ve been screaming about them for the past couple of years after their brilliant previous album. Really hoping they gain some traction here in the States. Reminds me of Dream Theater/Tool mix… but much better!

• Brandon says:

DC, thanks for this. Big DT fan and always looking for quality prog-metal.

• Any time. I’ve been screaming about them for the past 3 years or so. I was blown away when I heard their last album, and equally as much with the new one. Found them through the Ernie Ball guitar forum, where the lead guitarist is an endorsee.

Been sending requests in to Sirius forever about them, with no luck for some stupid reason. I’m sure Eddie is annoyed by it at this point, but you never know! :)

2. Mark Godwin says:

Eddie, I enjoyed talking to you on the phone the other day. I’ve really enjoyed the new Night Ranger and Tesla CD. I can’t wait for the new Judas Priest album to come out! Love me some priest. Are you going to interview Frankie Banali any time soon with the digital release of Quiet Riot “10?” I’m amazed how close the new singer Jizzy Pearl sounds like Kevin Dubrow. “Back on You” is probably my favorite on the CD. If you talk to Frankie, tell him to release “10” in CD form! Like you, I love to hold the CD in my hand. I’m excited about your podcast! Can’t wait!!!

Mark Godwin
    Valdosta, Georgia

3. George Kramer says:

You should have Michael Angelo Batio as the guitar guest on TMS.
    While his band’s records don’t warrant a spot on the couch), his 4-necked guitar would be a good visual for TV.

• The rumors are out there that TMS is likely not going to be renewed unfortunately. There was big upheaval in the management of VH1. I could see the channel totally changing. TBD but don’t take for granted that TMS will be back.

IF it is, I’d like to see Bob Daisley, Leatherwolf and the Killer Dwarfs on there.
      Bob Daisley was such a key part of Ozzy’s early solo success, and even if he were just on Skype, it would be great to hear from him. Leatherwolf put out one of the classic 80’s “melodic\progressive\ power” metal albums (probably only second to Queensryche’s Rage For Order, IMO), and recently reunited and put out one of best live albums of 2013. And Killer Dwarfs have recently reunited for shows. Russ Dwarf is underrated rock vocalist and was just in a bad accident after Rocklahoma so would be interesting interview.

4. Cameron says:

What do you have on the new song Motley debuted last night in Michigan?

5. Just got the new Priest album via Grooveshark! I’m also planning on seeing them this upcoming October at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN. It’s great to hear Priest being back on track, tho no K.K. but Ritchie.

6. Mike Jones says:

Eddie, I saw Foreigner, Styx and Don Felder last Saturday at Jones Beach. All the bands were great. Kelly Hanson does an amazing job singing and is a phenomenal front man. Let’s get an interview going with him! Thanks and I will be listening Friday night.

• Mark R Hillman says:

I agree Kelly Hanson is a great singer but Lou Gramm is still around and touring himself. Hard to give Kelly Hanson props when at the end of the day he’s singing someone’s else’s music. Hey Eddie you should get Lou Gramm on the show. The real singer of Foreigner .

7. doug r. says:

First it was October, now early next year? I understand it’s about money as always, but doesn’t VH1 classic make more money when they air NEW episodes of TMS? The ratings are higher, and that means higher revenue, don’t it? TMS is their #1 rated show, haven’t they ever heard of the phrase “it takes money to make money”? Most networks go all out for their #1 rated show. If VH1 classic showed new episodes 3-4 times a year instead of 1-2, wouldn’t they benefit & profit more? They would be happier, we would be happier, everybody wins! :)

8. doug r. says:

Best 4th of July song ever….Light Up The Sky – Van Halen! :)

• I think David Lee Roth’s, Yankee Rose, is quite fitting as well.

On a related note, that one of my two all time favorite music videos ever. Still funny to this day.

D :)

• doug r. says:

Absolutely! “Fire cracking on the 4th of July”! ;) Too bad they don’t make videos like Yankee Rose anymore, then again, they really don’t make great songs like that anymore!
        So happy they moved the barges back on the east side, makes it a lot easier to see the fireworks from my roof! :)

• Okay, Dana, I’ve gotta know: if Dave’s Yankee Rose is one of your two all-time favorite music videos ever (and an excellent choice, IMO), then what’s the other one?
        Happy 4th to you and Eddie!

• Rick,

First, thank you for appreciating my taste.

Second, my second favorite video of all time will probably have you scratching your head, but it is The Prodigy’s, Smack My Bitch Up. My reason has nothing to do with liking either the artist or the song. My decision is based purely on the video itself, which, in my opinion, is ingenious.

It had been banned by MTV due to graphic nudity and showing usage of drugs and alcohol. Again, none of the reasons, nor the controversy, have anything to do with why I like the video. The underlying message is questioning one beliefs of gender stereotypes. The first time I saw it, I was completely shocked by the ending.

Yankee Rose and Smack My Bitch Up are polar opposites in every way, but are my two favorite videos of all time.

Happy 4th to you as well

Dana :)

• Another excellent choice, Dana. I’m not a huge fan of the song, but the video was indeed brilliant, for exactly the reasons you stated. It’s always cool when artists don’t just entertain you, but also challenge you to think a little, too.

• Thanks Rick,

I couldn’t agree more.

D :)

• Haha! DLR and prodigy? Awesome!

I was just thinking that Prodigy would be a good guest on TMS. They were heavy metal guys only fave EDM band before all the substep. And they were also on rock radio at the time marketed as heavy music. Interesting to hear their views on all that.

• Thanks, Luke :)

D :)

9. Joe Pensanti says:

Eddie and Dana: Happy July 4th to you and your families! Don’t forget the double cheeseburgers fired up on the grill…Ed, you can skip the gym for a day and pig out, right? : )

10. DeweyWebber says:

New Rival Sons album is pretty good too.
    Best song for the 4th? “You can still Rock in America” – NIGHT RANGER

• doug r. says:

That’s a good one too. “Miss America” – Styx, “American Girls” – Triumph, have to mention them as well. But my Favorite is still “Light Up The Sky”!

• doug r. says:

Sorry Dana, ;) I also have to mention 3 songs from Kiss, all from Alive 2, “All-American Man”, Rockin’ In The USA, and of course, “Rocket Ride”! All great songs, keeping with the 4th of July theme. :)

• doug r. says:

BBQ, (rain or shine) beer, fireworks, Rock ‘N’ Roll, and freedom of choice! I don’t play left field OR right field, I play center field, always have, and always will. I am as Independent as you can be. I’m not Republican or Democrat, I’m not red or blue, I’m red, white, AND blue!
          Happy Birthday America, and God Bless the USA! CHEERS! Now let’s party! :)

• New RS very good indeed..My go to 4th o’ July song Iced Earth Star Spangled Banner!

11. This wait for new TMS seasons is starting to feel like torture, there is nothing else worth watching on TV. Surely there must be some sort of a solution to the problem if money is the issue (which I find a bit hard to believe).

12. charlie rains says:

Dana, why do u exclude my posts on Halford not having it anymore? Have u heard him lately? Most songs he just throws the mike out to the crowd and lets them sing. It sucks only kiss ass posts r allowed.

• Not sure what you are talking about Charlie,

Honestly, this is the first time I have seen a post from you. The Metal God is my hero, but people are entitled to their opinions, even if I don’t agree with them.

As for having heard him lately, I will confess the last tour I saw was the 30th Anniversary of British Steel and I thought he sounded amazing. I also admitted on this very site, that I thought he struggled vocally on the tour beforehand, Angel of Retribution.

He is only human, and while I know I sound redundant, I would still take Halford, even at his worst, over many other artists at their peak. In my humble opinion, there is a lot of mediocrity out there.

Dana from EddieTrunk.com :)

• Having seen them every single time they come around, I can say with absolute CERTAINTY that Rob does NOT phone it in. EVER. The past few tours he’s struggled with his range in the first few shows. I also know that once he started using ear monitors, those problems diminished.

Look, the guy is in his mid-60s. What the hell do you people want?? For crying out loud, the guy’s given us, what more than 40 YEARS of solid metal and you just want to throw him in the trash? The nerve of some “fans.”

There never has, nor will ever be, a metal vocalist like Rob Halford, people. EVER. Not Bruce. Not Ronnie (Rest his soul). No one. Give the guy a freakin’ break once in a while and thank him for given us more GREAT music than we could ever ask for.

And if he throws out the mic during Breaking the Law, then maybe HE is as tired of that song as most of us die-hard fans are.

And, Charlie, the last time the guy sang live was around 3 years ago, so why are you all of a sudden hung up on this “have you heard him lately” bullshit? When was the last time you saw Priest in concert? Have you even heard the new album yet?? I have, and I haven’t been able to stop since last Thursday.

13. charlie rains says:

Btw, I have seen Priest over a hundred times coast to coast. Saw them open for Zeppelin in ’77. MSG last show ’84. US Festival ’83. All the way through to British Steel 30th anniv. Its very sad the way this once great frontman is pullin a Willie Mays. Now go ahead and hit your delete button.

• Delete ;) Just kidding.

Dana from ET.com :)

• You asked why your comments about halford got deleted. Maybe it was because they make no sense at all. What the hell does “pulling a Willie Mays” even mean? Maybe if you wrote a few well constructed paragraphs about Halford, the site would be more willing to post it. Nonsensical, one sentence insults against Halford don’t really serve a purpose.

• Willie Mays was an extremely famous once-great baseball player who some people think stayed in the game well past his prime. To say someone’s “Pulling a Willie Mays” means they’re still performing despite the fact that the quality of their performance has gone downhill (for the record, I hate sports and I still knew that). Don’t use your own ignorance as an excuse to attack other people. It’s not THEIR fault if YOU don’t know what they’re talking about. Educate yourself.

• pete lytel says:

Charlie, there is no proof or evidence of you seeing Priest a hundred times, making your comments more legit or making you an expert, I saw Priest twice on the Epitaph tour and Rob did a great job. I disagreevwith you. Be well.

14. I just don’t understand how this show can be run on reruns every day but now we have to wait until next year for new episodes? If it does so well, why wouldn’t they want as many new shows as possible? It’s not like each season isn’t any more than 8-10 episodes anyway. Oh yeah, Steel Panther rules!

15. The Tubes tomorrow on the Santa Cruz boardwalk, they’re playing two free shows (a radio station picked up their fee)…they will meet you at the merch. table after the show, for free…you couldn’t find a nicer band, and they have jazz fusion chops with excellent songs.. a bit satirical, this band is great, and they are still great.

16. David C says:

First of all, I want to say it’s nice to see Dana interacting with us here on the board. Nice!

Now I’m going to vent. WTF is going on with Viacom the cheap bastards Eddie? No HD for VH-1 Classic, and now we hear that the only original programming on the show (TMS) won’t be back until maybe in 2015? Well FUCK them. Don’t get me wrong, I like seeing the metal videos they play in the morning on the weekends, but I could do without the endless SNL reruns, the dated movies, and the same concert videos over and over and over again. I understand that this channel obviously isn’t a revenue producer for them, but something needs to change.

You are a damn creative guy and there must be a way to get your show on for at least 20-30 episodes a year. It might take someone willing to invest; it might take some creative type of ad revenue splitting, but at least pitch something to them.

Or maybe it’s time to pitch your format to a different network? Fucking Viacom assholes.

17. is this weekends show live?

18. Eddie, i agree. so far this year been a great year for new music, especially from older bands. Almost like 1988 again with new albums by night ranger (they never put out a bad album, so underrated), winger, tesla, judas priest, ted nugent, overkill, etc…with ace frehley coming later and a few others…I still buy cds and will as long as i can so I will buy it all.

19. doug r. says:

Hey Eddie, when will we see The Eddie Trunk Network? Think about it, you can be in charge of all the programming, NEW episodes of TMS maybe every week, or at least a lot more than we currently get from VH1C. “ETN”, (EDDIE TRUNK NETWORK) has a nice ring to it! 100% All Rock & Metal, no rap crap or any other bullshit, I’ll chip in! ;)

20. Happy 4th of July Eddie and Dana!

Eddie, thanks for the updates. It sucks about TMS being away for so long but the reruns are always on and all the cool stuff at eddietrunk.com keeps me informed and up to date on everything that’s going on. You have the best tv show, best web site and best radio show on earth my friend! I’m excited about the podcast.

I’m gonna bug the hell out of my town’s local rock station, kbrq 102.5 the bear in Waco, Texas to start carrying your radio show and I’ll keep bugging them until they do. I listen to your show right now through the iheart radio app but it’d be really cool if the bear carried it.

Dana, thanks for being so great with all the music news and the way you interact with all us metal freaks.

Thanks,
    James K.

21. I also don’t understand why VH1 has budget problems enough that it can’t do more TMS shows/seasons. Especially if they don’t have to fly out the boys and put them up for a week to California. Course I have to admit, I have not seen the books, but can’t the show get more sponsor money to help fund the show? Wouldn’t that be the producers’s job? Just seems to me there should be a solution to this problem. The demand is CERTAINLY there! Ok fellow TMS fans lets blow up social media to VH1 Classic. Blow up there FB and twitter feed!

As far as future guests, I’d love to see Michi and Kai Hansen from Unisonic (former Helloween) be on the show. If you can showcase Anvil, you can showcase former Helloween members from their classic era. They had several hits in the US in the late 80s.

Dan Spitz too!

22. Just so you all know. I just tweeted VH1C and wrote on their FB timeline about getting more TMS shows. I encourage all TMS fans to do the same, and let us do it REGULARLY! If we all tweet and write on their FB page twice, three times a week, minimum, MAYBE we’ll get some responses from them.

23. You are right there is lots of good music coming out. I know people often hate his political views but I look forward to Ted Nugent’s new album coming out tomorrow.

I have heard Alice Cooper has been blowing Motley Crue off the stage the last few nights. No big surprise there, Cooper should still be playing arenas as a headliner.