5/31: GLENN HUGHES & CAL BREED, R&R HOF, MORE

Thanks to Glenn Hughes and Andrew Watt of California Breed for hanging out in studio with me last night for my Q104.3 NYC radio show. Hear this show on all affiliate stations listed on this site next weekend usual time and day. Glenn is truly remarkable. The guy partied harder than anyone in the 70’s and 80’s and came through it looking and sounding better in 2014 than people half his age. Interesting revelations in last nights interview including his recent open heart surgery, the fact that he recorded and was close to announcing a band with the DiLeo brothers of STP, and how he started California Breed and found his new young guitarist. Was also cool to hear that things are fine now with Joe Bonamossa after the demise of BCC. Love the Cal Breed album and look forward to hosting their second ever show tonight in NYC at The Gramercy. The history of Glenn Hughes is truly amazing and this new band is already one of my favorite chapters yet.

I’ll also be swinging by Brian Tichy’s Bonzo Bash at Bergen PAC early tonight before hitting Cal Breed. Brian is also doing a Randy Rhoads tribute Tuesday at The Stone Pony and Wed at Bergen PAC in NJ. Congrats to all the ticket winners on my radio shows.

R&R HOF ceremony finally premieres tonight on HBO more than 6 weeks after it happened. As many of you know I was lucky enough to be there at the table with Ace and as a guest of him and Peter that night. I sent out many photos, posted video, and we discussed it at great length before, during and since it happened. Tonight you will see what HBO has decided to air from the night. But as I said all along, the Kiss part of the evening was very very minimal compared to all the others inducted. They were the only band to have no musical performance of any kind (although Ace was going to jam at the end but it was cut because it went so late, I think Springsteen band is STILL talking..). Will also be interesting to see what they include of Paul’s speech. My video uncut from the night shows what was said completely. Paul took some well deserved shots at the HOF. Be interesting to see what they leave in. It’s nice Kiss is finally in after 15 years. In many circles the fighting between them, the HOF, etc still goes on. But at least they are in and you will see some version of the induction tonight. You will also see that Tom Morello did a great job inducting them, at least in my opinion.

Mostly positive comments here on the new Ace song. I played it last night and will again on the SiriusXM show Monday. I think it sounds like classic Ace and is exactly what you’d expect from Ace’s style and vibe. I really like his voice. Of course he was never Paul Rodgers or Robert Plant, Dio, etc, but he has that same youthful sound in his voice from the ’78 record again which is cool. The album is out July 8th.

Have a good weekend all!

Comments

1. Dave Esselburn says:

Also, the interview with Hughes last night was wonderful. Glad he and Bonamassa are cool with each other now. And he sounded like he was going to cry talking about Dio. Very touching moments in the interview.

2. Dave Weitz says:

I’m putting all of my $$$ on both Paul’s AND Daryl Hall’s speeches being heavily edited, with Bruce’s and the band’s being shown in their entirety (still snoozing). I was there that night as well and there’s no way Jann Wenner allows their opinions to be heard by the masses tonight. Nonetheless, it was a big night for the KISS Army and I’ll be watching tonight \m/ \m/

3. dave you were close. they cut up ace and peters and left paul and gene in its entirety.hmmmm conspiracy theories anyone???

4. I absolutely loved the interview with Glenn Hughes and Andrew Watts last night! Glenn Hughes is always great to listen to. The new California Breed album is smokin’! However, I am a little more partial to Black Country Communion. I just really dug the BCC sound and the way Glenn played with the band. Especially on songs like Black Country. He doesn’t really play like that with California Breed. I just wish I had of had the chance to see them play live. But now that BCC is no more and probably never will be again, I just feel like kinda out of place listening to them. Its not like Hendrix, or Cream, or Zeppelin, ect. where they are a classic band that everyone knows and listens to and all that Jazz. in my experience, its more like they came, people barely knew them, and then they left the building not to ever return. They just don’t seem to have that relevancy anymore and it feels like the band was never meant to happen. Am I wrong to feel like that? But nonetheless I look forward to great things from California Breed.

Now as for the new Ace Frehley single, Gene and Paul will probably sue Ace for ‘Stealing the Kiss sound’…LOL It sounds just like the old 70’s Kiss sound along with his Kiss solo record sound. Everytime Ace plays lead there is no mistaking who it is. He is the only person that sounds like that or can sound like that. Tommy, even tho he copies Ace’s parts, still cannot sound like Ace no matter what he does. I love the new song and can’t wait for the album. It’s really Ace going back to his roots and doing what he loves. Without Ace you wouldn’t have the sound that Kiss had in the 70’s, which was evident in the 80’s and even now with the guitar players who replaced him. so really you could say that Ace made the Kiss sound. I hope his new album brings him back in a big way.

As for the KISS RRHOF induction, it was just like you said. short n sweet. Then it was like quickly cut to Cat Stevens as if to say thank God thats over with, we never have to deal with that again. Almost kind of rude tho. But it is what it is and Kiss is finally in and we can move on to Deep Purple and other bands. Now we just need to work on kicking out non rock n roll bands and sending them to there rightful Hall of Fame home! Oh wait, some of them don’t have a home… and look at that no one cares if they do or not. Just get out of the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of fame where you don’t belong! Or if its insisted that they stay and belong there, then change the name of the hall to reflect that more than just rock n roll bands are in the hall.

Thats my two cents on it all. Thank you and goodnight! LOL

5. Although I’m glad that KISS was inducted, I think an opportunity to blow the roof off the joint was sorely missed. It would’ve been the best time to show the audience that KISS wasn’t just a collection of gimmicks ,but really can rock. I also liked how Darryl Hall more or less called the Hall on the bullshit just like Paul’s been doing.

6. Jim From Houston says:

I think Pauls attitude came off as childish and a waste of time. Nobody wants to be brought down by complainers at these type of events. have a good time, enjoy the moment.

• Its his moment…You only get inducted once so he took the opportunity to stick it to them albeit very professionally and had great points…completely disagree with you…

7. Jim From Houston says:

I know Ace is an Old dog and may not be open to new tricks but i would like to hear him do something a little more raw and nasty.

8. I’m not getting my hopes up about Ace’s new record, I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than have overly high expectations. I do hope it’s a good one though because his is the only new KISS-related music I have to look forward to these days.

As for the HOF I don’t get HBO so I won’t be able to check it out, that’s alright with me though. I kind of get depressed when I watch the induction because the finality of knowing that that’s the last time they’ll stand together as a team is just really grim to me.

9. The new Ace song almost sounds like as if he were back w/ Kiss again. Anyway, I got my ticket for the “Hair Metal Heavyweights” show and I really can’t wait to see you for the 2nd time in person! Still, had a blast seein’ you at the House of Blues this past fall.

10. Kings will destroy the Rags!

11. Bravo to Daryl Hall. While the Hard Rock / Metal community has been vocal about whose been left out from their side of the tracks I believe for someone with the mainstream credibly of Hall to call attention to the absolute cluelessness of the RNRHOF will open up the doors for fans to get more involved.

Bad enough Deep Purple is still waiting… but Chubby Checker? Jim Croce?

Hopefully something changes. We’ll know next year since Vanilla Ice if officially eligible for the RNRHOF.

12. I saw Joe Bonamasssa in Hartford 2 weeks ago and he made some funny comments about Glenn and BCC during the show. Had everyone cracking up. He didn’t really say anything bad. Was more alluding to what went down and how his mom yelled at him for saying things about Glenn on Twitter.

13. Hey Eddie…just wanted to say thanks so much for the bumper stickers…love the font and they are now proudly displayed everywhere I go throughout the the tri-state area of KY/WV/OH !!! Peace and God Speed!!

Adam

14. Brian B says:

I am enjoying the California Breed album, but I like the BCC albums better.

15. Biff Byfordian says:

I think this new Ace song kicks ass, guitar sounds great, good mix, although I can’t stop thinking how amazing this would be with Paul on the vocals!! that would have been the best Kiss song since Ace left the band, thoughts?

16. Hi Eddie. Thanks for your great work. I really enjoy you on satellite. I am old enough to remember Glenn Hughes with Trapeze. He sounds fantastic now, every bit as good as he did at age 19 on the album Medusa.

17. Loved the new interview with Glenn and Andrew! I am really digging California Breed. When you brought up DC, it sounded like there is something going on other than Whitesnake. Would be perfect timing considering Doug just departed. I almost wonder if there are talks with Blackmore. And of course that would be hush hush.

18. Love Ace’s new song! His playing is better now than it has been since his KISS days.

19. Joe Pensanti says:

The new ACE tune is great and has all the Kiss elements in it that Gene and Paul wish they had.