12/17: KISS FINALLY IN THE R&R HALL!

Well it has finally happened and Kiss is in the R&R Hall Of Fame. In recent years we have seen Alice Cooper, Rush, Heart finally go in. Hell if this keeps up I may not have much more to scream about. Not to worry though, still TONS of bands snubbed, including the inexplicable continued snubbing of Deep Purple, which sadly continued for this year. But for 15 years Kiss was ignored, and finally they couldn’t ignore them anymore. Make no mistake, there are many in the Hall voting panel miserable this is happening. But it HAD to happen. Not for the right reasons of music, influence, ground breaking performance etc, but for the economics. The Hall needs fans of major bands finally in Cleveland selling tickets to that museum. So the elitists who tried to keep Kiss out all these years had to fold because they need bands like Kiss and Rush because they need the fan interest those bands bring! The president of the Hall was on my radio show a couple years ago and agreed that is a concern. Laura Nyro isn’t moving tickets in Cleveland!

I’ve heard many people say “I hope Gene and Paul let Ace and Peter come”. That is not the way this works. They don’t control this, the Hall does. The Hall is inducting the original four members only. So they will all be invited and able to speak that night. Where the questions come in is who plays? Of course the hope for any Kiss fan is the original band does at least a song or two. Ace and Peter patched up their own issues at my radio party just a couple months ago and also played together. So nobody can say they are incapable of a couple songs as the original four. The question is will Gene and Paul agree to play with the original band? They have spent more than the last 10 years pushing the current band and slinging barbs at times at Ace and Peter. Can they bury these issues and make it work at least for a night? The problem is the enormity of the four of them on stage together will once again completely undo all the work they have done selling the current version of the band to some degree. Make no mistake, I was at the MTV unplugged, when these guys appear together it will be an avalanche from the fans in terms of reaction. So the question comes into play in the performance area. Do they all play together? Do Gene and Paul try and crowbar in the current band to play? Do Ace and Peter not play if that’s the case? Do they wear makeup? In the past many scenarios have played out with the performance portion. From more than one lineup playing, to no performance by the band at all. So anything can happen in this area and this is where the negotiation comes in and things can get dicey. They could also opt to not play and have a tribute of some sorts perform. But the original four guys will be there and be inducted. The playing is all still TBD. Back in 2006 at a VH1 show I worked on Gene and Paul refused to let Ace and Peter play with them at Rock Honors. It resulted in Peter not attending and Ace in a strange scenario playing with the tribute to Kiss while Tommy performed with Kiss dressed as Ace! But this is the Hall and much bigger and HAS to be done right and respectfully for all four members and most importantly US the FANS! So let’s see what ends up unfolding as the discussions will begin between the various camps very soon.

Another thing, the decision to only include the original 4. I understand the decision. I loved Eric Carr, and I am fully aware of the major contribution in KISStory by many key members. But if you don’t cut it at the original guys only then you have to put everyone that was ever in the band in. So in my view it’s the originals (which it is) or everyone (which it is not). If you extend beyond the original 4 how can you then not also include Eric Singer, who has been in the band a long time, or Bruce Kulick, or even Vinnie who had a huge role in writing key comeback albums? So it’s either all of them or just the founding members, and the Hall is only inducting Ace, Peter, Gene & Paul. Hopefully there will at least be a verbal acknowledgement of what the other guys have contributed. To me they should all four accept together, do a couple songs with the original four (after all, this honor is all about them) and then maybe jam a song with some of the Kiss super fans from other bands. I am NOT lobbying for any reunion full time here. As a matter of fact I think this would be a good time for Kiss to finally retire. Go in the Hall with the guys that started it, and everyone go on to solo stuff and other things. To me it would be a great way to end and put a button on a remarkable career ending in the Hall with the same four that started it. But that’s just my take. I’m sure Gene sees way too many business deals still left to keep dragging some version of Kiss through the mill. But Gene and Paul own the entity known as Kiss, kept it alive, and are within their right to do what they want regardless if I like it or not. I just think it would be a great way to go out. Like a football player winning the Super Bowl and then retiring.

So much more to come on this, but at least, FINALLY, Kiss is in! I’ve had many tweets and emails from fans thanking me for being so vocal about this for so many years on radio and TV. Not saying for a minute I played a role in Kiss, Rush or Alice going in, but I appreciate those that have sent those notes of thanks for bringing awareness to this insane injustice. I assure you many in the mainstream woke up today saying “Kiss, you mean they weren’t in that already?” Kiss was my gateway band into rock music. Regardless of my feelings about what they have done in recent years I have and always will be a Kiss fan. I think being a fan is about debating and liking different eras more than others and being able to voice those opinions. I was the guy made fun of in high school by so many for liking Kiss. I was in high school from ’79-’82, trust me, NO band was more uncool than Kiss then! Many fellow fans know of that struggle haha! So no matter what era of Kiss you were into let’s all celebrate this great overdue moment! I spoke to Ace last night and also Peter’s wife Gigi (Peter was sleeping when the news broke) and Peter himself just a couple minutes ago. Obviously all are excited and still learning how this will all go down. My annual KISSmas Special, which I have been doing since 1990, will take place live this Friday night from 11P-2A ET on Q104.3 NYC. My 23rd year celebrating all Kiss around Christmas and this year will be extra special no doubt. Ace will call in live to discuss the Hall. Also how fitting is this that this year the event is happening in Brooklyn open to the public? Especially for Peter! All respect to the other honorees but this thing is going to be all about Kiss as it should be, and I suspect the fans will let certain parties know how they feel about waiting 15 years that night. Congratulations to Ace, Peter, Gene & Paul, and to the fellow Kiss fans out there our day has finally come, so congrats to you as well. See you on the radio Friday night to celebrate KISSmas and see you in Brooklyn in April!

This just in, Rolling Stone story with Gene. They mention me and TMS. Gene clearly caught off guard because it is a ridiculous excuse for not doing TMS!

Comments

1. Bil McGarry says:

Can’t entirely disagree, but it is hard for me to understand how two guys who were in a band for around 5 years each (A band that has been around 40 years) get inducted by Singer, Carr, and Tommy for that matter aren’t part of it. It’s a mess alright. As much as I love Kiss, I don’t want to see an original 4 line-up any more.

• All due respect but you must be a younger person to feel that way. 5 years? Are you forgetting the ’96 reunion for 5 more years that was the biggest thing Kiss ever did? No matter what eras you are a fan of it is simple FACT that the biggest most iconic era of Kiss were the guys that started it all. It’s not even a discussion. Tommy and Eric were Kiss fans! Tommy was in a Kiss tribute! It’s about Ace, Peter, Gene and Paul this time around. I agree some acknowledgement of ALL the other guys would be cool though.

• Eddie you so clueless! Fans wanted the makeup not ace and Peter. Here I’ll help you understand, 96 reunion no makeup…. Not nearly as an impact. Now 92 revenge with makeup on Bruce and Eric… Dude you need to realize we all don’t drink the frehley fruit punch, KISS HAS FANS FROM ALL LINEUPS. Shouldn’t you be respectful to them? Btw I hope the hell you don’t think G&P will put makeup on ace and Peter, come on they would never open that can.

• So you think the ’96 reunion was a success because of only MAKEUP and not who WAS IN IT? WOW you are buying everything you are sold! That is so funny I can’t even address it. And I also was a fan and supporter of ALL lineups, until the impersonation started..

2. Bil McGarry says:

should say BUT, not BY

3. Blake Winfrey says:

Eddie i agree with you 100% the half thats been snubbing Ace and Peter need to suck it up and do something together 1 last time and agree that they need to get along and have a good time i am however disapointed that yet again Deep Purple has yet again been snubbed Eddie im a huge fan and am glad that there are at least some people in these bands that want to go in

4. Adam Williams says:

I was a huge fan of the original band. But now, after all the bullshit over the years, I sincerely hope that Ace & Peter tell Paul & Gene AND the HOF to go and fuck themselves.

5. Here’s my prediction: KISS (all 4 guys) WILL play. There’s just too much glory in it for Gene for it not to happen. After this, Gene will become the authority of all things Rock Hall. “Here’s what they need to do, here’s what the museum needs to change, here’s who should be inducted next” and on and on. God bless him! Gene and Paul are the 2 happiest men in the world right now! Also, they will say they are happy for the fans (and they truly are), but once the induction is over they will see how great the Hall treats inductees and they will say that the induction ceremony is was truly great. There’s my prediction. It’ll happen.

6. Scott Drebit says:

Interesting. However, Gene and Paul could possibly stop Ace and Peter from performing. John Fogerty did it to the other members of CCR when they were inducted. It would be sad and disgusting if they went that route. And I agree Eddie, they should pack it in and put a nice bow on it. Full circle.

7. The Original 4 built the foundation for everything that came later, so they deserve the honor. The various lineups without them have paled in comparison, regardless of their individual skills as players and performers. No disrespect to all of the other members, all of whom I like and respect (and many whom I know or have met personally), but without the Big 4, the rest would not exist.

Now, can we PLEASE have a pleasant and civil ceremony, and give the fans what they REALLY want, which is the Originals performing together? I agree that it’s too much to ask for a full reunion, and it probably wouldn’t be practical. But they SHOULD play for the fans, who really did propel them into the Hall.

The other big question: Who does the Induction? I welcome realistic suggestions…

• That also has to be agreed on by the Hall and the band, but the Hall is all about “cred” and celebrity. So think Pearl Jam, Tom Morello, people like that. So many factions within still stunned this is happening so they will want a hip band/person doing it to make it easier for them to swallow. If they could find a way to have Dave Grohl do every rock band they would..

• I’ve wondered about who will induct them, too. I think it would be great to have as big an icon in the classic/hard rock genre as can be agreed on do it, preferably someone who KISS influenced to a large degree, someone that opened up for them at one time or a very well-known contemporary; and make it someone who is well spoken. Someone I think would be great is Alice Cooper. Flea inducting Metallica didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• KISS should be inducted by The KISS ARMY. But we all know that it will be that cheeseball Doc McGee because he HAS to show his big Fat Face.

• Doc will not induct Kiss. The HOF and band decide. It will be trendy “cool” person. Kiss will want that and so will the HOF. To me someone like Alice Cooper would be best. The guy that started it inducting the band that was four Alice’s.

• That’s easy! Rush should induct Kiss! Let’s be honest. BOTH of these bands have arguably been the BIGGEST thorns in the Hall’s side for YEARS! What better , yet still classy, way to acknowledge the honor than having two of rock’s most notorious critically REVILED artists on the same Rock Hall ceremony stage? To me, that SCREAMS vindication! Great question ‘ACE’!

8. Rich English says:

Eddie, do you know or is it possible to find out what the actual ballot totals were for each inductee?
    Would be very intresting. Also, just my two cents worth. I want to see the original four play a few tunes in street clothes – no makeup or outfits. I’ve always wanted to see the band in this form.
    Thanks

9. I agree with you Eddie. They should play a few songs ( the original band), retire and move on. This is great news for KISS fans however; I’m hoping to attend this in April. And thanks for being “our” voice!

10. I think kiss is a bit overhyped. I’ve wondered if they weren’t a band that was put together by someone with the same aspirations of these boy bands but dressed in a costume.

11. Larry Warshaw says:

I get the sense that it’s Paul Stanley that harbors more resentment towards Peter & Ace than Gene does. Then again, I’m sure Paul will follow Gene’s lead as usual. I just find it hard to see the 4 original members sharing a stage after what was written in their recent autobiographies, especially Peter’s. I really hope they do though.

12. They deserve to be inducted in the RnR HoF–for whatever that’s worth–but with the egos and shit attitudes these guys have, I can’t really give a damn. Being in bands my whole adult life, if you can’t respect the other guys in your band for the work they put in to help you achieve your goals, I can’t respect you. So the Big Two can eat one.

13. Kevin Ross says:

One more chapter in the book that’s known as KISSTORY, at least this one finally has an ending that’s suitable. Congrats to Gene, Ace Peter and Paul and to us crazy KISS fans for finally having our moment in
    The sun. \m/ \m/. PS H.O.S. Still clueless on Deep Purple

14. Eddie I would like to thank you for the Kiss Army! I want to see them forget their argments for one night & play for the fans. I have been a fan from the start & always will be.

15. Richard K. MacDonald, Jr. says:

Look, I am all for Kiss making it. And FINALLY. But Eric Carr doesn’t get to enjoy it either. And as for Deep Purple, another f–king snub. What the hell else is new???
    Congratulations to KISS!!!

16. Gene and, to a lesser extent, Paul have endlessly said since the beginning of Kiss that it’s all about the fans. Even in “You Wanted The Best”, the lyrics say “The fans wanted us to play, we hear & we obey”. If that is actually true, the 4 original members will play a couple songs. I would expect the songs to be Deuce and R&R All Night, for obvious reasons. THAT should be the final page of the 4 original members. Without the original members, they wouldn’t be there so all 4 should be able to put aside their petty BS for one evening and honor the beginnings of the band. I also think it would be cool to see the original 4 play plugged in, without make-up. Yes, I know there is crappy footage on youtube from Ace’s wedding and sound checks.

17. Shawn Cruse says:

If u r gonna put the band in u should put the rest of the guys that contributed for so many years Carr Singer Bruce and Thommy I don’t like this I mean very happy and it means I still have hope for Motley Crue

• Cool thing is, Ace could be inducted twice!!
      Solo/Frehley’s Comet…
      In my opinion he was thee guitar god in kiss
      Vinnie was great…solo Paul & Gene would not let him play to his full potential in kiss.
      Congrats guys!
      One thing though..can gene & Paul mabee not bitch so much about their anti drug & alchol beliefs?
      Motleys book would have sucked without said demons!

18. I was in High School from fall ’79 to ‘spring 83 and Eddie is right. When KISS came to town on tour – I think it was in January, when nothing else was going on, I’d be surprised if two people went from our entire (large) high school. I might have seen one KISS concert shirt being worn the next AM! They were absolutely the most uncool band. The ads for the concert touted them as being the “loudest band” around.

19. Either all four (or six) guys will play. Also, Gene has been gracious in his tweets, and has acknowledged ALL members, former and current. The touring market is too lucrative for them to retire, and the band (regardless of anyone’s issues with the use of Ace/Peter’s makeup or Paul’s problematic vocals) plays well consistently. These are not young men. Paul and Gene have the ambition and physical determination to still perform nightly. Ace and Peter do not (otherwise, they would be touring solo). I don’t see the fact that they haven’t created new characters for Tommy and Eric as an insult to Ace and Peter. In fact, I agree with Paul when he says that the continued use of Ace and Peter’s makeup is an indication of their respect to the iconic stature of the four original faces, rather than diluting it with new identities like Duck-Boy and Ostrich Man. All the “fan” animosity ultimately stems from people wanting to live in the past, and Gene and Paul’s refusal to live there with them. Regardless of where you stand on the internal politics and minutiae regarding the band, let’s all just celebrate this one fact: THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE LAND IS NOW IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME!!!!

20. Again: 1) All four original guys WILL play. 2) It will be without make-up. 3) All four will be very pro-Rock Hall AFTER the ceremony (it’s just what happens. Look at the history). 4) There will be NO reunion tour (if there could be, it would be happening. It’s just too late in the game). 5) There WILL be a few snide remarks during their speeches (Peter will not be able to help it!). 6) Ace WILL NOT make any snide remarks, and neither will Paul. 7) KISS will resume their current KISS business again with Tommy and Eric. 8) 2014 will be a KISS merchandise bonanza. That’s the long and short of it. Just my friendly predictions!

21. Travis Armand says:

Ace and Peter only in the band briefly: Kennedy was president less than 3 years… Look at how celebrated he is… And rightfully so.

Kulick and Carr added a new, fresh dynamic… They should be in as well… Platinum albums and great music to back me up.

22. Spot on Eddie and aj I could not agree more. This night is about the original 4 and should be such. As a fan of the band in all incarnations Paul gene. Let’s do this right and preserve the legacy and beginnings of kiss. One night the original 4 reunite and do a few songs. With of without makeup. Maybe like an unplugged scenario where the current band plays followed by the 4. Do it right. One night.

23. I say don’t induct Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter. You should induct KISS, which is The Starchild, The Demon, The Spaceman, and the Catman. This way, KISS, Inc. can roll on and whoever wears the makeup when Paul and Gene finally decide to call it a career can claim to be the band that was inducted into the RnR HoF. Since it’s about the costume and character and make-up, and not about the members (see the aforementioned Spaceman and Catman), KISS, Inc will eventually be the only band in the RnR HoF that is still around and touring a century after their induction.

• Whoa, I hope you are kidding. Otherwise you have been buying into EVERYTHING they have been selling… wow

• Yes, that was meant have a bit of sarcasm. But it wasn’t completely my idea. Eddie did bring up on a recent “Focus on Metal” podcast was that he wouldn’t be surprised if someone else puts on the makeup after Paul and Gene retire. I just took it to a whole next level.

• Eddie he is not kidding ive read those pathetic comments he has posted all over…scary huh…just wow….thankfully 99.99999: % think its about the four who created those classic 1970`s songs and album…..i was the guy at golden gods wearing that metallica shirt in the art work of rock in roll over 1976 kiss album. I asked you if you ever saw it. You said you had one. Very cool…cant wait tell that metal show…new format sounds EPIC !!

• “Since it’s about the costume and character and make-up, and not about the members…”

No disrespect, but this isn’t the halloween HOF or merch HOF. The costumes didn’t write the music.

• Wow just wow…sad sheep.

24. I attended the official Kiss convention in 1995 in NYC. During the Q & A with the band, someone asked if Gene and Paul would ever reunite with Ace and Peter. Gene put on quite an act and very adamantly stated that they would never play with them again. Of course, this was a few months before the MTV Unplugged, and we all know how that turned out. I’m sure the wheels were already in motion at the time of the conventions. My point is that I wouldn’t be surprised if Gene and Paul have every intention of performing with Ace and Peter at the HOF and this is just another case of Gene being Gene.

25. Since the Hall of Fame is a formal event, wouldn’t it be cool – just for something a little different – to see the original four be introduced as they were on the Dressed to Kill album, all dressed to the nines but with the makeup, eh maybe not, but the Hall needs a little humor as do some member of Kiss (yes, you Paul & Gene). Maybe for this once in a lifetime acceptance speech, Paul and Gene will put their fragile egos and fake confidence aside, be in the moment and e-n-j-o-y it – without any political maneuvering or smart ass remarks. Wouldn’t that be a refreshing change. Find one interview with Simmons and have there not be some kind of derogatory remark towards Ace or Peter. Like I’ve said before, say what you want about Ace and Peter’s past, but they are the examples of being classing and not allowing themselves to get in the mud with Paul or Gene – other than to constantly defend themselves and the bold faced lies about their lack of sobriety or drug taking. Ace and Peter have grown immensely as people. Gene and Paul really just seem to get worse as the years role on. Anyway…this is a celebration and I want to congratulate KISS on this accomplishment. My teen years in the 70’s were made a lot more tolerable because of their music, attitude, shenanigans and ballsy live performances. I was able to temporarily escape a lot of challenges of being a teen by having the Alive albums on loud with my favorite pair of headphones – music that was made by the original 4. Ace, Peter, Gene and Paul.

• There is not a chance in hell Gene and Paul don’t stick to the Kiss script they know by heart. My dream is to see Ace and Peter make Paul and Gene look as uncomfortable as they did in that infamous Tom Snyder interview! Ack! Ack!

• you are an idiot….Gene is asked about those two, and Peter classy?? He’s about as big an ass there is, and he hasn’t been able to play for years…read Peters book… Woes me, woes me…pathetic. Just like you

26. Spot on Eddie and aj and Jerrold could not agree more. this night is about the original 4 on stage and the legacy they created. Let’s do this right. As fan of the band in all incarnations for one night lets create another chapter in kisstory. In New York. Where it all started.

27. Eddie: I do respectfully disagree with one point you made. I don’t think KISS was inducted solely to make money for the hall/museum. If that were the case, wouldn’t they have been inducted into the hall a long time ago? PS: Looking forward to your KISS show!

28. Eddie, I at least hope Gene & Paul recognize the torch you’ve long carried to get them into the RRHOF. I too think it would only be fitting for you to to do the Induction. Many thanks for the years of killer Kissmas specials!

29. how about deep purple, humble pie, uriah heep,judas priest,iron maiden,steppenwolf,saxon,girlschool,grand funk railroad,blue oyster cult,thin lizzy and last but not least ufo

30. Eddie –

I have said it before and I say it again – we are brothers from another mother! Same age, same taste in music and same opinion on all things KISS. Gene’s ego has been front and center since day one and that’s OK in a capitalist environment. Who can blame him? But that aside, they are so long overdue in the Hall that its almost anti-climactic. I sure do hope that all 4 guys just act like kids and have a blast with it and maybe invite the other guys up on stage for at least a brief jam. Why not?

I told my mom that these guys would be famous some day!

Keep up the great work Eddie!

31. Eddie, Will you respond to what Gene just said about YOU in the Rolling Stone piece on the Merry Kissmas show?

• I’ll respond right now. I’ll change the name for him if he wants to come on for that episode! He was clearly caught off guard and didn’t know what to say. Hysterical actually! And since he is pushing how “live” Kiss is I assume that means he will credit the off stage musicians they have had playing with them live for decades? Don’t get me wrong. I respect they are all really playing, but they have had hidden help for decades. He thinks TMS is so unimportant? It’s his FANS that wants to see him on it. And if so irrelevant why is ROLLING STONE bringing it up! Priceless.

• Thanks for the reply, Eddie. I’m looking forward to the Merry Kissmass show this year. I hope it is live and there will be a lot of discussion of Kiss related topics and current events.

• CANCERSUCKS says:

So, you write comments like this and keep wondering why you have no respect from certain artists like Gene, Paul, Ozzy, and James..etc. You can not expect to talk such elicit trash about people in print or on air and then expect them to consider wanting to be berated on your show with similar sentiments. Knowing a few of the aforementioned musicians, I think a public apology may gain you more respect and camaraderie than you realize. Bottom line, if you keep acting like a resentful and scorned little school boy..you will keep being treated like that. Take some inventory of your actions and maybe you will restore some of these relationships that you have managed to squander away!

Sincerely
          An “Old” Friend

• Trash? Wow, what did you just read? AMAZING the hyper sensitive few that can’t handle OPINIONS and objectivity. Same people that discount all the positives and dwell on one or two negatives… Weird how Kiss is the only band you can’t have a debate about without being thrown off the reservation by some..

• CANCERSUCKS says:

So, as you can see from TT’s twitter..they haven’t used off stage help in years and you are just spreading more lies. Get it together and issue a formal apology for your erroneous remarks sir.

• Really? Where did I say they did now? I don’t know what they do now because I don’t go see them. I spoke about Derek Sherninan and Gary Corbett, who I know for a FACT did it in the 80’s and beyond. Again, your assumptions and time line, not mine! But feel free to pick apart only the lines that can cause issues like everyone else instead of the context of the actual post! Attack attack attack mentality, pretty sad.

• DannyBayRidge says:

As musician help offstage you mean keyboards behind stage and maybe some more rhythm guitar work behind stage as well?

• Not sure if you saw how I responded to that jibe from Gene – “not important”? Disingenuous at best. 8 seasons and a worldwide audience on VH1 Classic should qualify any show as having some weight and worth. The man is being a stubborn snot on this one. I predict he’ll cave eventually. Oh, and btw, the Reality Check TV bit you did with me at NAMM 2013 is finally done (sorry it took so long, but we tend to churn out our material chronologically, and we were backlogged!) – here it is: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151742890651364

32. As much as this 37 year KISS fan would love to see it, I doubt it will just be Gene, Paul ,Peter & Ace playing together. They’ll probably (much like Unplugged) just jam, with the current line-up backing them up, without makeup. This will satisfy Gene & Paul’s need to promote the current line-up and also help bolster the sound.( I’m thinking maybe Peter’s lost some of his chops over the years. ) Un-like Van Halen, as long as they all show up, and play together in some capacity, I’ll be happy. Congratulations for a long over due, and much deserved honor!!

33. Let’s just hope the induction does not turn into the embarrassment that was the Van Halen & Guns N Roses induction. For the sake of the fans that got them there!

34. Woolhat Demon says:

OK, you say the original 4. Then how can you explain Sammy Hagar’s inclusion when Van Halen was inducted in the HOF?

• The guy was on as many albums as DLR and had HUGE hits and success as the singer and front man with that band, a little different. Dio didn’t go with Sabbath

• Woolhat Demon says:

Thaks Eddie for clearing that up. Was a tad confused on that.

• Actually, before they were inducted, Sammy only did four studio albums with VH, whereas Dave did six. If you count A Different Kind Of Truth which came out after the induction, that brings the totals up to Dave – 7, Sammy – 4. Also, it’s a fact that they sold more records with Dave. They had more chart success with Sammy (every Sammy LP went to #1 and they never had a #1 LP with Dave), but their best-selling albums were with Dave (the first one and 1984), both selling in excess of 10 million each. No Sammy-era VH album ever sold that much (I think 5150 came closest, at 6 or 7 million). You are right that the Sabbath percentage gap is much wider between Ozzy and Dio albums, though. On a personal note, I like Dio a little more than Ozzy, but strongly prefer Dave to Sammy (I’m sure Sammy’s a really nice guy, I just don’t care for most of his songwriting). And now, back to the subject at hand, namely Kiss: Eddie, while I occasionally disagree with your opinions on VH, I agree with EVERYTHING I’ve ever heard you say about Kiss, my all-time favorite band. Your interview on Three Sides Of The Coin was the best discussion on the band I’ve ever heard.

35. Here are the official Fan Poll results. Kiss only just beat Nirvana in the end. But the top 5 each got 1 vote.
    My 2 cents is, the original 4 get up and do their speeches and play a couple of songs without makeup.
    And every past member, all the way from the wicked lester days to the current impostors, should get a mention and a thanks in the speech. All of these surviving people, you would hope, will also get invited to the occasion too, just like Metallica did with their former members.
    Maybe Vinnie will jump up and start a fight? Add some more drama to this fiasco.

36. In my humble opinion, KISS should have wrapped it up with the original lineup after the 96/97 “Reunion Tour”. The following tours with Ace & Peter were not good…Psycho Circus and Farewell Tours in particular. I have no issue with the current version of the band. They play their asses off, put out new material, and have given fans more access than ever before to the band. I’m sorry that things turned out the way they did for Ace and Peter…but, they did. After reading his book, it was apparent that Peter in particular has never seemed to accept responsibility for his own actions. He probably won’t, either. He got a much, much better deal than Ace when he left the band…including 25% of future business. Their behavior was their choice(s). They had their “Second Sighting”, and it fizzled out like the first.

It’ll be nice to see them get into the HOF, and they deserve it. Should it end with the induction? I don’t think so. Frankly, Gene said it in an interview earlier today…in his eyes, KISS is an idea. It is an idea that will keep going, and rightfully so. It will go on as long as their are folks that enjoy the show.

37. They have never had a #1 album or a Grammy Award..I sincerely hope Gene Paul Ace and Peter can just take a moment to relish this historic milestone and play some songs together..this is about KISS and the music and the fans..not their personal issues with each other….I hope they show some class. unlike Van Halen.

38. How about Dee Snider do the induction! I think he would be cool also from N.Y..

39. It might be cool to see a final jam that includes Gene, Paul, Ace, Peter, Eric, Bruce, Tommy and and even Vinnie. I’m not holding my breath for that. I’ll more than happy with the original 4.

• I’d also like to see all of the living former and current members of KISS jam onstage at the induction ceremony, but I really hope that Gene and Paul acknowledge the contributions of the late, great Eric Carr to the band.

• I think the only way to do it out of respect to Ace & Peter is to play with the original band. Then the jam is with the other honorees end of the night. Former members can be there, but if they play it gets weird and doesn’t make sense if not inducted. Just my take.

40. Eddie,

Please tell me more about what you mean that Kiss has been having offstage help for decades. Can you be a little more specific? For instance, did other people play guitars instead of Ace or Paul – either in the 70’s or from ’96-2000 reunion tours? I don’t mean to stir the pot but geez, this is news to me and probably a lot of us.

41. joseph sternburg says:

hooray for ace gene paul and peter . i am excited and happy for them and hope everyone whos a fan understands these guys here made this what i had come to love for many years regardless of personal issue within themselves, we all have personal problems but its about the music first and foremost for me and the original guys in kiss had something so special that they could only pull it off n do it right but yet everyone else( other members ) wants it , understandable but thats why i think it all worked so well for them in the beginning till now..they simply created a magic of force with music and it won over well, real well..again congrats to kiss and lets hope for one night next year at rnrhof they will all four come together for a special one night performance or two and end it rightly.

42. Tommy ( from Vegas) Fiore says:

Deep Purple snubbed again. What a freaking disgrace that is. Kiss in before Deep Purple. Now that is a joke. If not for Alice Cooper no band with a heavy stage-show production would exist. If not for Deep Purple the road for hard rock would not exist. Such an insult to these Fathers of hard rock. What’ a disgrace!

43. It’s the Van Halen/GNR drama starting all over again and that pains me as a life long KISS fan. I am glad that they are finally in and agree with Eddie that they should do this, play with the original 4 one last time on that stage at the ceremony and ride off into the sunset. I know that will not happen, but we can all dream. Regardless of what happens, we all of the memories of the band that we love and the music that changed all of our lives.

Izzy Presley

• Ok my nerves about the drama have calmed after reading Ace’s interview and Paul’s FB post: We just spoke with Peter. Whatever ongoing issues, no way to not share in celebrating what we started 40 years ago.

All is calm.

44. Woolhat Demon says:

With KISS inducted, it brings it one step closer, IMHO, of having The Monkees inducted
    to the HOF.

45. Another Deep Purple snub? WTH? I totally agree with you here Eddie on how Kiss should handle this & as it has been said a few times if it were not for you being so vocal over the years some of these groups would not even be inducted. Thank you for being the loudest voice for all of the fans!

46. Because every member of KISS has contributed to the bands success, and thus contributed to the induction into the HOF they all should be inducted. As far as the performance, If Gene really believes what he said in the Rolling Stone interview that the fans are their bosses and are responsible for their success, then give the fans what they want, the original four in full make up. PS. it’s just a damn shame that the fox Eric Carr can’t be there, from what I’ve heard about him he would have loved it. RIP.

47. Eddie,

Do you think there is any possibility of Vinny Vincent attending the Hall event? I suspect you have no idea but wanted to throw the question out there. What about Bruce Kulick? And do either of them even care about the induction since its really only for the Original 4. Will you be there and might there be any video of interviews with other Kiss members. If you see Vinny, tell him he has to come on TMS! When will we know who within Kiss will play live during the induction? Will we only know at the moment the band members come on to play?

48. This is going to be one of the most anticipated Merry Kissmas shows in a long time for many reasons.

49. Gerry Blue says:

Excellent point Eddie, if the 4 originals play, it would be a step back in the direction of selling the current Kiss as Kiss (when we all know they ain’t) I see some form of tribute playing, maybe even all other members of past Kiss (Kulick, etc) paying homage while Gene sits in a throne, watching. They save face an current franken-Kiss can go on selling beer and chicken wings as anything.

50. I seriously hope the original 4 guys are playing onstage one last time at the event. The songs? My guess is they will play Deuce, the one song that started it all. They they need to play a Paul song to soothe him, that would be either Detroit Rock City or Love Gun. And then they have to, even though is oh so predictable, finish the night with RnR All Nite, with Springsteen and Dave Grohl on backing vocals. What do you think, Eddie?
    Martin, Norway