ROMAN FERNANDEZ, BILL AUCOIN’S FORMER PARTNER, RELEASES A STATEMENT ABOUT KISS BEING INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME

kiss-return Bill Aucoin’s former partner, Roman Fernandez, has released the following statement regarding KISS and the Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony:

“I’m going on record.

I normally stand by the sidelines quietly watching the scrimmage in silence, but now, I feel I have to speak up.

My late partner, Bill Aucoin, bothered enough in 1973 to wager his entire career as a successful television producer and bet all the money he had, as well as money he didn’t have, on 4 kids from the streets of New York. He unfortunately can no longer speak for himself on the subject of KISS and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Bill Aucoin gave KISS their start, as well as some of the best years of his life. KISS would, in fact, despite all his other successes, come to define Bill in the eyes of millions of fans and in the eyes of the industry. An industry that to a great degree didn’t give KISS the time of day when it mattered the most. No one did except for Bill, Sean Delaney and Neil (and Joyce) Bogart. All no longer with us except for Joyce. But, Bill and I spoke about this subject on several occasions before he passed. Bill Aucoin was not the type to reflect in regret, and he harbored no animosity. But he was convinced that due to politics within the board of the Hall of Fame, the day would never come that saw KISS inducted. I’m pretty certain he was OK with that.

But had Bill been alive to see the day it was announced that the group would indeed, despite every notion to the contrary, be inducted, might have been a nice parting gift for him. But it’s done. He’s gone. It could have just as easily been Paul, Gene, Peter or Ace. But they’re still here. And I’m pretty sure this is what Bill might have said in light of all this nonsense: ‘(….unintelligible noises) Look it, find a compromise, put everything aside for one night, be the larger than life rock stars you know you are, and then…. Onward and upward!’

I don’t believe Bill would begrudge any reasoning for the band members feeling however they may about one another. But, I also believe he would have recognized this as one singular night to put unresolved issues aside. Bill is no longer with us. If Paul, Gene, Peter or Ace were not here, this conversation would not even be possible. Life is too short to waste such a precious opportunity. If for no other reason, do it for Bill Aucoin. And for Sean. And for Neil. Love to all members of Kiss past and present. Onward and Upward guys.”

Comments

1. nicely said

2. Taskerofpuppets says:

Glad you got rid of that homophobic rant from earlier.

3. Nicol Michel says:

i agree!!

4. Tony Richard says:

Do it for Kiss army we all want original kiss member play together one last time.

5. TulsaRocker says:

Exactly!…

6. Having a kiss timeline performance journey through the family of kiss would be awesome. I don’t get it.

7. Roman,
    Very nice!
    Now call up Paul and Gene and read this exactly how you wrote it maybe they will Chang there minds for Bill!

8. Well spoken, will it change anything? I doubt it, but only time will tell. Like I’ve said before, Anne and Nancy Wilson put their differences aside last year and performed the first couple of songs with the original band then finished off the set with the current band, it worked for them, so why wouldn’t it work for Gene and Paul. They think they are clever saying ” we know we wouldn’t be where we are without Ace and Peter but we wouldn’t be here without Bruce, Tommy and Eric”. It’s not good enough Guys, suck it up and play!

9. David Smith says:

I don’t think there’s another word or thought that anyone could add to that statement to make it any more poignant.

10. I have come to the conclusion that there are certain people on this Earth that can’t forget, forgive, & free themselves from the past. It is more than evident that Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley care more about themselves/pride/$$$$$/power & control and nothing else than that. Us fans that worked our asses off to give them all of that just got a big muddle finger shoved right up our asses from the both of them. 6 of us WERE about to make the 4 hour trip from Syracuse down to see the ceremonies but we just killed that idea. No more. I speak for them & myself, we are tired & passed off with the “Gene & Paul Pay Us Our $$$$ Bullshit Show”. Gene “we are doing this for our fans that started us out, we will do it for them”. Classic Gene & Paul bullshit. Truth is they just care about our money & absoutly NOTHING ELSE!!!! Enjoy the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame KISS Circus Induction. Thank you Eddie for letting me say what has pissed me off.

11. Roman, that’s exactly what I’m for, except that the guys need to remember that their millions and millions came from the very people who helped get them into the hall: the fans. Some are just music fans, some are Die-Hard Kiss fans, casual fans…. there were even Rush fans voting for Kiss because of the break that both Kiss and Rush gave each other, even though both found the other extremely “interesting.” The fans just want to see the band together for the honor. Maybe even see them perform a tune from their heyday as tribute to the fans for their loyalty. If anyone is looking for more, they are in for a disappointment.

12. Rene Rodriguez says:

I think Paul & Gene made the right decision to NOT play at all. The HOF has treated Kiss like crap and it’s evident in the fact that they do not want to allow all past members to be inducted as well. Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer, Tommy Thayer are all a part of this band’s history and should be inducted. The HOF appears to be making up rules for certain bands in not allowing all Kiss member to be inducted. What’s the only thing Paul & Gene can do to the HOF who ONLY wanted original band members to play? That’s to not play at all! It’s not a snipe at Ace or Peter and they need to get over it. Their decision to not play is due to the HOF pissing on Kiss yet again. I admire Paul & Gene for coming to the conclusion to not play at all. I hope they take it one step further and not even show up. That would be a true Rock and Roll move on their part. F the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame!

13. Well Said Mr. Fernandez!!!

I have been a fan since 1978. I remember getting my first KISS album and trying to hide it from my mom.. She DID NOT LIKE KISS… I was rebeling and I loved all their songs and became a part of the KISS army. I had the privilage to see Kiss play with (Paul, Gene, Peter and Ace) . I also saw Ace play (Solo) in Boston at a club called Narcasiss and Paul and Gene were there to support him. I hope they can put all their differences aside for one night and remember that they have loyal fans that also helped get them into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. As much as it is for them, it’s for thier fans as well. I understand all the (for a lack of a better term – chances) that Ace and Peter were given. Hopefully they will get past this and do it for Mr. Bill Aucoin who (Roman Fernandez) elequently said it should be done in his memory!

I hope this can be resolved and at least play a few songs with the ORIGINAL lineup!

Eric

I Rock therefore I am!!!

14. That was very nice. I kind of thought the same thing myself. God forbid something happens to ACE or Peter ( who already had a scare ) in the near future? Would Gene or Paul actually regret this shit? The HOF basically has thought KISS was a joke. They finally accept them in and that’s exactly how they behave. The four original guys were inducted. Paul and Gene couldn’t control this so they act like spoiled children. The four original guys busted their balls TOGETHER, made the world take notice TOGETHER, built a fan base 40 years strong TOGETHER. If they fizzled out in the ’80s they would still probably be in the HOF based on the four original guys. Everything else in KISStory is just icing on the cake, let’s face it. Sure Gene and Paul deserve the credit for keeping the band around as long as they have but, if it wasn’t for the original band, there would be no band to keep around. How could they be so smart yet seem to not realize that this would happen? The vile things being said about them? How uncomfortable Eric and Tommy must feel now? The potential lashing out at Paul’s book signings. When all they had to do was make it clear it would be two or three songs….put a killer clip package together featuring EVERYONE else who has contributed to the band and thank every FAN for their loyalty, and go back to doing what everyone was doing the day before. I understand about not wanting to upset what “they are pushing now”, but at this point I really don’t think this would have affected it that much. Based on the backlash so far I think they have to be at least second guessing those two scenarios.

15. Eddie escamilla says:

Well said. I think he just put into words what most true kiss fans meant or were trying to say.

16. Gabe Elkin says:

Hell yes! Rock n roll! WE WANT KISS! WE WANT KISS! WE WANT KISS! (Paul, gene, ace, peter)

17. eddie dolan says:

GENE SIMMONS IS A DOUSCHE BAG!!!

18. To all those concerned, it is one night…ONE NIGHT. You have the choice to make this something truly spectacular and wonderful, or absolutly damaging and pathetic. I think this is an absolute line in the sand moment for KISS and the KISS ARMY.

19. Eldon Glen Butt says:

Amen to that.

20. agreed byrd!!! Play the bash! Kiss is bigger than any member.

21. That’s the way I sould be one day isn’t goin to kill you but Your differences aside and do it for the fans and by the way it was the fan who supported you and make you who you are till this day don’t miss this one night Van halen went through the Same BS and missed this big night so for the fan don’t let it happen again

22. Rich Ferrazzano says:

Finally A grown up speaking out. Do it for Bill Guys. Without him you would still be Wicked Lester.

23. My thoughts exactly. You only get inducted as a band once.

24. Poughkeepsie Mike says:

Who’s coming out with the next press release? Paul Stanley’s gardener?? Enough! Gene and Paul are assholes.

25. Kim Vorbach says:

perfectly said!!!! If Gene and Paul really cared about the fans they will heed this letter.

26. Well done, let’s see

27. Rockin' Ron Runyon says:

Very nice to see someone behind the scenes tell how they feel. There is always talk about how the fans feel & the band but, people don’t realize that the people that worked behind the scenes also consider something like this an honor to them as well. It is a real shame that Bill Aucoin & Sean Delaney were not able to see this day because IT IS as much a testament to what they accomplished as much, if not more than the members of the band. Gene & Paul may have had the vision & work ethic to keep the band alive for 40 years now but this should make them realize as well as the fans, that more people than just Ace & Peter helped them realize their dream.

28. That’s all we want 3 songs doesn’t have to be a tour or anything bill would have wanted them to play together

29. Ace got his revenge tenfold for all the insults from Paul and Gene over the years! Gene Simmons website crashed this morning.

30. Brad Bowman says:

Agreed 100%.

31. Stan Doman says:

This is the classiest thing I’ve read on this subject over the last few days. One thing that people seem to be forgetting about — there IS a chance during the jam at the of the ceremony for all 4 original members to be on the stage. Sure they’ll be mixed in with about 50 other musicians (keep in mind that the E Street Band is also being inducted) but they still could be on the stage “together.” Gene and Paul on one side on the stage and Ace and Peter over on the other. Rock and Roll All Nite seems like the obvious choice for all inductees to jam to at the end. Might be the best that we get.

32. Wow. Nicely said and done. Although it is sad that four or in this case two grown men to be acting so childish . Give Peter and Ace the credit they deserve. Kiss would not have been Kiss without those two. Would Paul or Gene love one of their children more than the other if one screwed up in life. Kiss is and was Paul, Peter,Ace and that asshole Gene.,who in my opinion is the creator of all this hatred.I was thinking of the Kiss story and how Gene believed that only He wrote songs and no one else. Yet I have never bought a Kiss record because of a Gene song. The ONLY album that ever released a Gene song as the first single was Creatures of the Night with I love it Loud. All the other singles released were Paul songs.Yet He acts as if He is the reason Kiss is as big as they once were.What an asshole.

33. Brian Rowe says:

I just want to start off by saying that im a life fan. I went through getting beat up and ridaquled for liking kiss. With that being said! im sadden as a fan to hear that gene and paul will not concider playing with peter and ace.I see there side about wanting to celabrate the the current members< but it was the past that got them there to! Paul and Gene please put your differerences aside for one night and do this for two reasons! #1 for Bill Acoin who beleved a group of ny boys could dominate the rock world, who is no longer with us. #2 the fans!!!! We as fans stood behind you guys for almost 40yrs. Dont you think we desirve to see you guys together one more time no matter what your differances are with each other.

34. I agree, I can’t see the Ego’s of Paul and Gene giving in to the Hall or anyone else. It is a control thing in part. I am convinced that Peter’s book really upset Paul with suggestions about his sexuality. Paul seems to hold grudges and can become insecure. Gene will do what is in his best interest and if that is agreeing with Paul or the hall he will do that. Very Sad and petty and confirms what others have said about them being hard to work with and/or for.

• I agree with this post. Peter’s book made some interesting accusations.
      Whether true or not, I could see why at least Paul would have some issues with Peter.

Also Ace and Peter declined the Kiss documentary with Alan Parker.

So I can see why these fresh wounds may be the reason for Gene and Paul not to want Ace and Peter.

Does not mean Gene and Paul have not acted like assholes too.

As The article mentioned, suck it up boys and do this for the people who got you to this place.

35. I agree. Very we’ll said. Do it out of respect guys!

36. The Problem isn’t Ace & Peter ! The Problem is Paul & Gene ! & their ENORMOUS egos

37. Couldn’t agree more. If only they would.

38. Well said, after all Kiss is still making their money on what the original four did.

39. He’s correct, they are being childish. The HOF inducted the original KISS and that is who the fans pressed to have inducted. That is should play and they can ALL appear on stage (for credit), but only the originals should speak as they were inductees. I also think they should bring the pyrotechnics with them abd use them one last time. Let’s face it, they were never the musically best band, but they were quite fun and they have sucked the fun right out of it. This dude is correct, but after all this crap, I’m fine with no performance andas it stands, I have no intention of watching. Hall and Oats? Really? That’s not rock and roll.

40. Excellent! I just hope Gene and Paul read this.

41. Alethia Hauffman says:

Just a note for those that are coming down hard on Gene and Paul…I did too, at first, but then I read their statement. It is the HOF that is putting an end to the performance. Paul and Gene said they wanted to celebrate the history of KISS…as they should. …and have ALL of them perform at some point during the night, and HOF said No. So, this isn’t about Gene and Paul being selfish…just saying. Everyone should get their facts straight before they start smearing names and gossiping. smh

42. Bill Aucoin has to go down as the craziest risk taker in the history of rock n roll. Without him, KISS does not exist. Nobody would take a chance and spend the money he did on that band and do what he did to promote them. He had other successes, but KISS defined him and he defined them. Essentially he was their fifth member for a lot of years.

43. Bryan Lambert says:

Very well said. If Gene & Paul cant do this out of respect then they become the biggest assholes in Rock & Roll history. You owe it to your fans as its the right thing to do.

44. Well said! I agree completely with this! Gene & Paul the ball is in your court! Please do the right thing & have the Original 4 play that night! Do it for the Fans & the people like Bill Aucion & many others who stuck their nect out to make your Dream a Reality! Thank you Roman for stepping in advising in this situation!

45. Well stated! Having listened to Bill speak about Kiss while he was alive and having met him, I believe this is the most accurate thing ever stated. Those are precisely the words he would have said to all of them. As a fan for many years, this entire situation is a let down on many levels. Thanks to Roman for putting a different perspective on it.

46. I’ll drink to that.

47. Very nice. Well done. I am not the biggest KISS fan, but they absolutely deserve to be in the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame. To say KISS goes in, but the original 4 members only, is not right. Eric Carr goes in, as does Bruce Kulick, as does Mark St. John, … Van Halen was inducted a few years ago, again way too long of a wait, and only Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony came to the ceremony. That’s a disgrace. Shame on the guys who didn’t come. Whether you get along or not. Now they have to convince every one that Wolfgang deserves to be in the band. Smoke and mirrors, everyone, and nobody goes behind the curtain. KISS was great. KISS IS great. They were talented, they were mysterious, they were loud, they were never on the radio, except for “Beth”, and for the last 34 years, I’ve been a card carrying member of the KISS Army. If these guys don’t work this out, they might regret it for the rest of their lives. But for me, rock ‘n roll is what’s in my mind, what lives in my memory, in my heart, in my photo albums, in my tee shirt drawer, in my box of ticket stubs… I’ll look at what the Hall of Fame puts on display. But tell me that Cheap Trick, and Deep Purple, and Thin Lizzy, and REO Speedwagon, and Foreigner, Journey, Tesla, Yes, Genesis, the Moody Blues, Whitesnake, Styx, Quiet Riot and all these bands, my bands, MY MUSIC, DON’T get into the Hall? Iron Maiden isn’t in the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame? Iron Maiden?? Rainbow? Has anyone on the COMMITTEE that is in charge of the voting ever heard the song “Stargazer”? Really? Was it on side 1 or side 2 of Rainbow “Rising”? Google it, I dare you.

48. Bill Wilson says:

Eric Carr..yes Bruce Kulick…yes Mark St John….not there long enough..If Mark goes in does Vinnie Vincent not go in to?..

49. Chad Storm (C.C. Storm) says:

Not much to add there, but well said!

50. Fuck what Howard Stern says about KISS! He himself has been irrevelevant ever since he started sucking Rosie O`Donnels fat ass a few years ago! He used to be great but its obviously time for him to retire

Trackbacks

1. […] pretty sure this is what Bill might have said in light of all this nonsense,” he tells Eddie Trunk. ”‘Find a compromise, put everything aside for one night, be the larger than life rock stars […]

2. […] pretty sure this is what Bill might have said in light of all this nonsense,” he tells Eddie Trunk. ”‘Find a compromise, put everything aside for one night, be the larger than life […]