THE STATION FIRE MEMORIAL FOUNDATION REJECTS DONATIONS FROM SINGER JACK RUSSELL

jackRussell

As previously reported, former Great White frontman Jack Russell will playing an acoustic show next month to mark the tenth anniversary of The Station fire that killed 100 Great White fans and the band’s guitarist Ty Longley.

The singer was planning to donate all proceeds from the show to the Station Fire Memorial Foundation, however Russell has released the following statement:

“This morning my manager received an email from the Vice President of the Station Fire Memorial Foundation, stating that they will refuse any donations from me to the foundation.

‘This is to respect the wishes of the families and survivors who do not wish to have any association with Jack or his Great White … We do not want our name associated with ANYTHING Jack Russell or [what] his band does. We do not want any donations or proceeds from anything he does.’

That being said, the proceeds from the show on February 7th will be donated to a different charitable organization, to be determined shortly.

I am saddened by the response of the foundation and the motives behind it, but we will put on a great show and make it for a worthy cause.”

The Station nightclub in Rhode Island burst into flames during a Great White show on February 20th, 2003, as a result of the band’s pyros making contact with flammable soundproofing foam. Within six minutes it had become the fourth-most-deadly club fire accident in US history, injuring 230 along with the fatalities.

Comments

1. I used to love this band and Jack’s voice so much. What the hell happened (besides his drug usage that is)? Some of my favorite music of the 80’s came from these guys. Great bluesy heavy rock. Jack and Mark Kendall were phenomenal together. Oh well….

2. John Alonzo says:

Man thats rough, I can’t imagine that kinda turn down. But he’s a bigger man for respecting thier wishes.

3. Johnny Rocker says:

Am I missing something here? Jack Russell didn’t cause that fire. Even if he did, why don’t they want his money???

4. George Galanoplos says:

I guess as long as they are comfortable cutting thier nose off to spite their face. Didn’t realize money was so easy to come by.

5. Why would Russell even think that they would want his money?

6. Todd Hutchens says:

There must be one hell of a backstory we don’t know about.

7. CHRIS BLACKLOCK says:

I am a survivor of the Station Nightclub Fire, and we are not cutting off our noses to spite are faces. We are doing quite well thank you in raising money for our memorial without Jack Russell’s help

• Eli Gomez says:

I agree with you, I will never listen to another great white song again. Jack seems to not even take some of the responsibility himself. Hell he keeps his life and his money, those hard working people, that loved life, and lived to the fullest don’t. Who needs great white and jack. Chris, I’m happy for you and your family that you’re doing well, and keep up the good fight for those who lost their lives, so that this tragedy never happens again. Were with you brother!!

8. Jerry&Linda says:

This terrible incident was caused by poor band management and ignorance beyond belief by the nightclub ownership.Nobody feels worse than Jack Russell.He opened up his heart and they kicked him so fuck it.We are close to the Great White family….I wonder if they would take our money?

Trackbacks

1. […] Station Fire Memorial Foundation, who refused to accept a charitable donation from Great White singer Jack Russell, will receive some of the money after […]