GEEZER BUTLER ON ANOTHER BLACK SABBATH ALBUM: “NEVER SAY NEVER”

blacksabb2013 Gary Graff of Billboard reports:

Geezer Butler says that he’s happy that he and his Black Sabbath mates Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi “were able to come together and do one final album”-13, which comes out June 11th and is currently streaming on iTunes.

Um…final?

“Well, I guess you should never say never,” the bassist tells Billboard. “It could be, though. We’ll see how this album goes, see what happens.” And Osbourne, who’s appearing on his first Sabbath studio album since 1978’s Never Say Die, also prefers caution when talking about future Sabbath recordings. “Let’s put it this way; it’s taken us 35 years to do this one,” he notes with a laugh. “So if there’s gonna be (another) album there’s gonna be an album but I don’t want to say if there’s going to be a follow-up. I wouldn’t mind doing another Sabbath album with them, though.”

Read more at Billboard.

BlackSabbath400

Comments

1. NO BILL WARD, NO SABBATH.

2. I miss Dio :(

• Nick kollias says:

Dio was the best.

• Yeah he was. Miss him all the time. RIP RJD. But I will say what I heard of new Sabbath sounds great.

• I went to FYE to pick up the new Megadeth album (awesome), and the clerk tried to get me to pre-order the new Sabbath cd. He told me that he heard it and it is amazing. I told him that I heard it and it sounded okay, but Ozzy’s vocals are lazy and sluggish. I added that Black Sabbath’s original drummer Bill Ward wasn’t on the album, so I have no interest in buying it. He didn’t know who Bill Ward was. Gimme my change salesman.

3. If they do another album, maybe they’ll include Bill Ward on it. For those of you who do not know (possibly including Ozzy, Geezer and Tony), Bill Ward was the original drummer for Black Sabbath. You would think that on the “reunion” album and tour they would have all four original members.
    The amount of disrespect thrown in Ward’s direction is abismal.

• Thanks for that vital history lesson Bobby. All of us 14 year olds who frequent this site would have never known who the hell Bill Ward was.
      If Bill Ward and Michael Anthony aren’t in this band, its not a reunion!

• You miss my point Don.
        1) There was a high level of sarcasm in my description of who Bill Ward is.
        2) The clerk in the store that didn’t know who Bill Ward is was in his early to mid 40s. He wasn’t a kid.
        3) Black Sabbath had a press conference with Bill Ward standing alongside Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony. They announced a reunion album and tour. It is still regarded as a reunion album and tour.
        Bill Ward is not on said tour or album due to either an insulting offer from the record execs (according to him), Ward not cutting it as a drummer (according to Ozzy), or Iommi chomping at the bit due to his illness. Whatever the case may be, one of the greatest drummers in the world from one of the greatest bands in the world is, in my opinion, being treated like a session musician. I don’t care if they call it Black Sabbath.. Just do not get the fans amped up for a reunion when it’s not all four original guys.

That being said; I am not one of those people who just listen to Ozzy’s era of Sabbath. I have everything they’ve put out with every incarnation of the band minus one recent greatest hits album (because I already have those songs on “We Sold Our Souls,” and I do not and will not own “13.”

• The fact that the 40 year old record store employee didn’t know who Bill Ward was kinda proves my point. Look it’s great if he’s there but I’m a little tired of the Ward supporters who whine that he’s not there and then praise Dio over Ozzy. I’m not saying you did that. But it gets a little tiring after awhile. He was a good comparable drummer in the 70’s. it’s well known his physical health is and has been the shits for years now. So if my choice is Sabbath without Ward or no Sabbath at all – I’ll take this version of Sabbath any day.

4. Fred Glass says:

Lets hope the new Sabbath album kicks butt. The few new tracks I heard sound pretty good. Its hard to compare to the classic Sabbath albums. Old bands can still rock out. Case in point: The last Kiss album, Monster rocked pretty damn hard. The last 2 Accept albums rocked hard as well, even though Udo isnt in the band anymore. Lets root for Sabbath to blow our minds once more. Lets also not forget that if there was no Black Sabbath, there would be no Priest, and no Metallica. And countless other great metal and hard rock bands. Sabbath rules! The wanna be sound alikes drool.

• Best of luck to Black Sabbath w/ the tour and album. As for Fred Glass’ comment about KISS’ album Monster…..it’s an OK album and by far not their best. As a long time KISS fan, I would love to see KISS do an album that is a cross between Creatures of the Night, Revenge and Carnival of Souls. Like Eddie, I’m not a fan of Eric and Tommy portraying Ace and Peter. At least Eric applies a drum style that is different from Peter…..but Tommy tries to portray a mirror image of Ace when on stage.

5. TMS is losing credibility by the minute by blowing off having guests like WINO or CLUTCH…well they finally got Neil Fallon later this season. Time to start giving the DOOM SOME SERIOUS PROPS. AHEM ever hear of LEE DORIAN……SAINT VITUS…..THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON……

• AMAZING how CLUELESS some people can be about a TV network ONLY wanting mainstream and best known names possible! Stunning really. 100 episodes, record ratings, and we don’t know what we are doing huh? When you get your TV show on run it how YOU want and let’s see if you make 100 episodes. Because a mainstream MTV owned cable network really knows who Saint Vitus are?? Wow..

• Amazing how condescending and childishly argumentative (and ungrateful) you come off to the fans/viewers. The guy never said you don’t know what your doing… he said credibility… no one is clueless….this guy (and others) are just venting based one what they like. Geez…lose the chip on your shoulder already. We get it..your mainstream..you gotta have names that sell advertising..its a business…blah blah.

How about…. “yeah those are cool but unfortunately the network big wigs are only watching the bottom line”. Stunning how personal you take comments about your show….and kind of absurd how you react.

• Tyler you can shut up too. I don’t always like Eddie’s comments, but its his damn site. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to come here or read the articles. If it wasn’t for guys like Eddie Trunk or Ultimate Classic Rock, we wouldn’t know 90% of whats going on out there in the field of Metal and our favorite bands. Fuck if people can’t whine about something, they’re just not happy. Why don’t you and Trent start your own damn site and post about all the shit bands you want to talk about. See how many people show up.

• Trent……shut up!

6. richman says:

Keep doing what you do Eddie, and I ll see you at CITI FIELD. How can anyone complain about this album? How many people began listening to metal after OZZY went solo? Most people back catalogued SABBATH? I got into metal when Ian Gillian was SABBATHs frontman. I went back to DIO, then OZZY. Imagine the last OZZY studio album was released on 8 track as well as vinyl, cassette, CD but not as yet iTunes. This album and tour is in the least the swan song of this genre s founders. Bill Ward was a great drummer but he s not there. Because Bonham is dead , that makes LED ZEPs reunion concert legit? If GUNS N ROSES ever re unite it will probably be with Soram not Adler. I’ll check that out. too. This is a rare, feel good moment.

7. richman says:

And Brad Wilk is a very good veteran drummer. And OZZYs solo band has always had top talent. Tommy can pull it off. And a new MAD MAX movie

8. I bought the deluxe edition on Friday! It’s not as good as I had hoped! I’d say God is Dead is the highlight but not much more to get excited about! The standard version cd has 8 songs, the deluxe has a bonus cd with 3 additional tracks………….none of which raise any eyebrows. It’s not a terrible release, but not what I had hoped for!

• flashrockinman says:

an uptempo track like the song Paranoid would have been cool. Haven’t heard the bonus tracks though.

• rick hutt says:

This Sabbath album is amazing not sure what dennis is listening to maybe he bought the new queens of stone age cd a real snooze fest that one is , after listening to this cd bout 8 times now it is a real masterpiece with some amazing iommi guitars ,ozzy sounding like the classic 70s ozzy , geezers thumping bass and the amazing production from rubin some highlights The Loner sounds like vol 4 , Age of Reason an epic in the wheels of confusion vein, Zeitgeist a cool laid back acoustic number w some great tony riffing, methademic sounds like it could have been on sabotage (the greatest album ever made) and Damaged Soul with a flat out pulverizing finish complete with ozzy on mouth harp- KILLER, this is the best album of the Year for sure . as for bill ward whatever

9. Stormin' says:

I also agree that the new Sabbath sounds great musicially but Ozzy doesn’t. He sings monotone, never raises his voice. His voice is distinctive and that makes him Ozzy (great voice) but he sings like he’s a high school kid trying out for a band. Put some double tracking on his voice. Rick Rubin get out of bed and do some work!!! Dio come back!

10. flashrockinman says:

the drummer on “13” sounds like he studied BW’s style and pulls it off. Yogi Berra is a great Yankee but that doesn’t mean he should be playing on today’s Yankees. Sabbath’s debut is one of my favorites, and I think “13” sounds like a great mesh of early Sabbath. This album lines up with the classics like the the last Van Halen album. Ward didn’t appear on Mob Rules but that doesn’t make that album any less special. Now, if Rick Ruben could be enlisted to produce a KISS album, that would be great!

11. Johnny Polli says:

Dio is a legend and master of the craft, but regarding this article we’re talking original Sabbath here, and it deserves respect, and some separation. Inaccurate to compare the 2 bands, as they’re different in many ways. We all miss him, but that’s just not the point here. Some people were squawking at a party this weekend about 13, and only heard the 1 song! No Bill, but-No matter what, having the record is much better than NOT having one.

12. Johnny Polli says:

Nope, Never heard of Wino or Dorian, think you missed the point it’s classic hard rock and heavy metal. Clutch is just awful, …sorry. But they’ll get their exposure this year (…this year).

13. Fred Glass says:

Great to see that Jake E Lee and Buck Dharhma from Blue Oyster Cult will be on this seasons TMS. Good work Eddie! I like some doom metal and stoner rock besides heavy metal and hard rock. But I understand about ratings and stuff. Most people dont know who Candlemass is or Fu Manchu is. I know its also about scheduling guests too. It would be great to have Paul and Gene on, or Eddie, or Ian Gillan or Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. I wanted to say that I like the previuos hour long format of TMS with the pick 5 topics, the throwdown, etc. I dont enjoy the new format as much.

14. rick hutt says:

a

15. eighties says:

your friday night show on the radio is hard to listen too with all the new music u play…
    we know that the only reason those guests are coming on your show is to talk about their new music…
    but EDDIE their new music just sucks real bad,, sorry but it sucks bad man,,, then on top of it all
    you play the mtv hits that we have heard too many times…. PLEASE EDDIE im just as passionate about music as you are, but LIMIT THE NEW SONGS BECAUSE IT JUST A HORRIBLE LISTEN
    please play more of the classic eighties metal/glam but just make sure you include deeper tracks
    instead of the well known mtv songs.. but i know its all about the ratings so i get it.. but what’s the point in tuning in your radio show if you are gonna play the same metallica songs, or the same judas priest songs… there are so many greater songs u have NEVER played but we hear you saying all these new stations signing up for show ,, but where is that classic eighties hard rock /metal song that was not played on mtv 50 times day,,, that’s the song that will get a young music fan to pick up a guitar and maybe ten years down the road we may get another appitite for destruction BECAUSE THE NEW MUSIC YOU PLAY LIKE BUCKCHERRY WHICH IS HARD TO LISTEN TO,,, WON’T DO IT..

• Not sure you are listening to the right show? For 30 years I have played new and classic hard rock and metal. And could not disagree with you more about the quality or importance of new music! I don’t live in the 80’s. Love it, but not stuck there. Love the 70’s, love new stuff. Balance is key. Over 2 million people purchased Buckcherry 15, you really think I shouldn’t play that once in a while? More importantly you don’t think that band has the spirit of the old music you love? Wow! Variety within the music I deal with is important and has been the case for 3 decades, so it’s working for most.

16. speedking says:

TMS needs Joan Jett, Devo and Witchfinder General.

17. Longtimefan says:

HeyEddie!keep up the great work!

18. Norman Voss says:

13 makes me realise how GREAT Iommi is. So original, you know it’s him with every riff and sound he makes.

19. musicley deep purple’s now what is much better just listen to vincent price