2/27: MORE KISS HOF DISCUSSION AND THOUGHTS

Been doing press all day for That Metal Show and almost everyone is bringing up the Kiss HOF stuff with me. It is no doubt the story of the week and since it broke on my show last Friday when Ace called in many are discussing it with me. It’s interesting to hear everyone’s take on all of this. It’s also been interesting reading everyone’s comments here on this site and the loads of email about it. I get and understand ALL sides of this. People who actually take the time to fully listen to and read what I say realize there is no agenda here but being a fan and giving MY opinion when asked. I respect yours even if it differs from mine. Just like I respect your decision to go see the current version of Kiss, even if I decided a while ago it’s not for me. There is SO much misinformation out there. Not only about what I say and feel (anything positive doesn’t make a good headline) but about the whole HOF process to begin with. In a nutshell I think this whole thing again comes down to Gene and Paul not wanting to go down reunion road with Ace and Peter at all, and not wanting to open a huge can of worms like the MTV Unplugged. Again, I was there, once Ace and Peter came out for two songs it was a reunion avalanche they could not go away from. When you spend 12 years telling people (believe it or not) it doesn’t matter who is behind the makeup, you can’t bring Ace and Peter out and get a huge reaction and remind everyone it does matter! Eventually Kiss wil be a franchise with no original members in those personas. That is where this is all heading. Going back to the original band hurts selling that concept and is bad for the current Kiss business model. I don’t believe it is any real hate against Ace and Peter, it is just a bad business decision and we all know Kiss knows business! I don’t agree with this decision, but get it from a marketing standpoint.

There has also been a familiar cry from Ace and Peter detractors that “they had their chance, they fucked it up”. True, they will be the first to tell you they are far from innocent in their conduct at times while a member of the band. But what exactly does that have to do with now? NOBODY wants a reunion tour again. I sure don’t! Nobody can go forever. But it seems the past keeps getting thrown out there as a reason for the HOF issue. Why? It has nothing to do with the fact that the original four guys are the ones being inducted and a song or two is all anyone is looking for one night only. Nobody is also mentioning that these guys have been clean and sober for many years now. People change with time. A couple songs would have only damaged one thing, the current Kiss marketing plans. And I GET THAT. If I was trying to sell what was coming and owned the business of Kiss like Gene and Paul do I can’t say I would feel different from a BUSINESS angle. But we were always told the fans were the boss with Kiss. And no denying the MAJORITY of the fans who fought so long and hard to see this day are upset. But I still feel no performance in this instance (because the HOF decided only the original four are going in) is better than a current band performance which you can see any time you want pretty much.

I am curious if they all show up. To me it’s clear if you read the recent interview that Paul is annoyed with the whole process (rightfully so), the fact they were snubbed for 15 years, and the fact the HOF is ignoring other members for induction (again, the case can be made rightfully so). But most artists who complain about it still end up showing up. Axl Rose didn’t. he knew it was all a play for a reunion if even for a photo op and stayed away. I honestly don’t think the HOF cares that much if Kiss plays. Getting them in the same room together is a victory enough for them. Now we wait and see what happens next. Do all four guys show? What does the HOF put on since there is no performance from the band? Is there so much fan pressure that a last minute performance gets pulled together? One more thing; fans did not get Kiss in the HOF through voting. It’s a nice thought and the fans being so vocal about it helped sway voters, but the actual fan vote is minimal and can not alone get a band in. If it did bands like Kiss, Rush and Alice Cooper would not have been snubbed over a decade! If the HOF would have put Kiss in when they were first eligible in 1999 none of this would be happening, because the original band was still together then from the reunion! And we all know the fact that Kiss, like them or not, should have gone in first time eligible, NOT 15 years later! More soon no doubt.. Again, ALL opinions welcome here as always.

Comments

1. All wait for Kiss into the Rock Hall of Fame and we get this. A war between the wet blankets and the party animals. Two different set of people with different backgrounds They made great music but being together just didn’t work. I was fine when they took off the makeup and added new people Creatures was great as well as the other 80 albums

2. The classy thing to do would be to do several songs, start with the original line up (I mean for crying out fucking loud, they are ALL ALIVE, not many bands can say that) and then add EVERY new member (yes, two drum sets and many, many guitar players) until every single fucking member who has ever been in KISS is on stage celebrating one of the greatest bands in history. It’s not about reunion, it’s about HISTORY!!!! Imagine the crowds reaction to seeing the original band, then progressing through the years to the current line up. Politics? Fuck politics. It’s about KISS, and whether Gene or Paul get the fact that the people have stuck with them through ALL of the changes or not, the fact is, people HAVE! and they love the ‘franchise’ but fuck me sideways if gene and paul can’t look beyond their narrow-ass mind and realize that the whole reason they are who they are is because of every single member who has been in KISS and kept it all alive.

• George St. Geegland says:

I concur.

• Damn good points!

• Well said and exactly right

• Mike Nagle says:

Great and solid recommendation Ed. Travesty is the HOF limiting the induction to the original lineup. That is more than unfair based on Eric Carr and Bruce Kullick having contributed a lot. Even Vinnie Vincent recorded and toured with the band. That should essentially be the requirement for inclusion. I don’t get the concept of putting Eric and Tommy in Peter and Ace’s makeup at all. The band stopped being a gimmick band when they took the makeup off. Why they are faking it now stinks a bit but Ace and Peter signed off at some point on it. They cry sour grapes but that’s their defense and it is weak. To your point, these guys are all alive. Paul loses me a bit when he goes into his, “this is for the fans” speech. If he means it, then let bygones be bygones and give the KISS Army what they truly want — even one song would be a tribute to those of us who bought the LPs, the comic book, and drank the Kool Aid too. The KISS brand is clearly for sale on most everything now. But the fans can’t be bought. As Eddie says, we’re not looking for a fully blown tour. But for one night remember the friendship that once started a band that inspired an army. Say it one more time and mean it — you wanted the best… you got the best — one last time.

• Well Ed, they are not all alive as Eric Carr and Mark St. John have died. They, especiall Eric Carr, should get an acknowledement – I think. I also think that 3 songs, 10 minutes worth of tunes – should not be a big deal. I am totally surprised. I am going to the arena that day, and it won’t be what I want to see.

• Right on Eddie! That would be a great solution!

• This sounds like the best idea I have heard…. But I highly doubt it will ever happen…

• Best thing about this is that it’s showing the whole world how half-ass the KISS brand has become and how clueless the R&R HoF is. KISS is being forced into a hole like never before and I think they will have to resort to drastic measures to save face before its too late.

I think what will end up actually happening now, with KISS always being so theatrical, is they will (4 original members) reluctantly walk up to the podium to accept the award and as they are stepping away making everyone think they are going back to their seats, the curtain behind them will open to reveal a stage set-up to look like 1974 and they will run back to grab their instruments and let loose into, “I Wanna Rock & Roll All Night and Party Every Day!”

3. At Least this make a good take it or leave it topic

4. Jay Jeffries says:

The biggest complaint Eddie has (which I agree with) is that the HOF voters are elitist industry types who don’t give much attention to hard rock/heavy metal acts; these morons will vote in rap acts before legitimate pioneering rock/metal bands. Given Kiss’s response (and the response of other bands who don’t get along and/or don’t bother to show up), I hope this doesn’t give the HOF voters more ammunition to continue to ignore other acts like Priest, Maiden, Thin Lizzy, etc.

5. Jim Burdick says:

I agree with most of your points Eddie, but, the one glaring thing I think is being overlooked is the fact that because of their longevity, there is actually a generation that has grown up with KISS minus Peter Criss and Ace Frehley. These fans too purchased cd’s, tickets, t-shirts, and all the other goods. How is it fair that a fan of the current lineup doesn’t get to see their KISS? I know the HOF has said it is the original four, but, that seems to be a bit of a contradiction for some of the other enshrines that were forced to use “replacement” members over original members doesn’t it?

The whole HOF is a joke regardless, and they will never be able to garner any respectability with true rock fans for the decisions they have previously made. For the record, I am a Peter Criss/Ace Frehley KISS fan, just playing devils advocate here.

6. I would expect this from Journey, Boston or other
    corporate rock bands. It’s sad that four guys that
    made a monumental impression in rock history
    cannot put aside their differences and celebrate
    their accomplishment. Maybe instead of the
    rock hall of fame they should be placed in the
    Private sector successful business hall of fame.
    Now I know why I always look to The Clash, The Sex Pistols
    and The Ramones as true rock-n-roll.

7. I’m curious if an offer was made to Ace,Peter the didn’t accept.By Gene,Paul’s account all members were to be represented at the performance part. If they didn’t want to share the stage with other players in make-up (maybe they shouldn’t have sold the rights away.)

8. The RNR HOF began in 1986 with SIXTEEN (16) inductees. THE BEATLES & THE BEACH BOYS didn’t get in until the 3rd ceremony in 1988. The obvious solution to get everyone in that “deserves it before they die”, ie Jon Lord of Deep Purple and several others, is to increase the amount of inductions each year. The fewest amount of artists inducted were between 2005 – 2008, (2007 had FIVE (5) total inductees.) Induction categories are: Early Influence, Lifetime Achievement, Non-Performer, Performer, Sideman & The Award for Musical Excellence. The latter 2 are the most recently created categories.

9. Don’t believe in this band anymore. Like it matters. Go play foot ball or sell some shitty food. Oh well heros die.

10. Devlin Monastersky says:

Eddie, like you as a Kiss Fan since 1978 when my brothers brought home Alive 2 and Bob Seger Live on the same day I was hooked. Never wavered on my Kiss Army status until Gene did what he did on the family Jewels Show. That was it for me and my brother in law! I get the childish hurt feelings, not down playing just saying they are grown men….GROW UP! As much as you lobbied for this I still think it’s a waste of time! I love all kinds of music but I stand fast on the title “The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame” Miles Davis is a Jazz Musician, so change the name to the Music Hall of Fame”! Lastly, Ace and Peter have the same right to be who they are right or wrong and the fans except them for who they are. So Gene & Paul need to look at that! If it’s good enough for us fans isn’t that all that matters?

11. I am happy to say that I have been a Kiss fan since the mid 70’s. I still have the vinyl. I am also a long time listener to Eddie Trunk on the radio as I worked nights for many years. I finally got the chance to see them, which turned into several concerts. Kiss has FINALLY been voted into the HOF, which in my opinion is a day late and a dollar short. Although some considered their music never to be “mainstream”, they still provided legions of fans “Kiss Army” with an exceptional show. I do not agree with their current lineup wearing Ace and Peter’s makeup. They absolutely should have taken on their own persona, but who are we to tell Paul and Gene? Either way, if they don’t want to play together, respect them for that decision. I just hope ALL the members show up, say their thanks and go on their way..

12. Time to change the marketing plan, and have Singer in Hawk make up, and Tommy in….hmmmmmm the CROW make up \m/

13. first and foremost, kiss, as well as any other band in the history of rock n roll, owes thier success to the fans. without fan support, NO band would be relevant. certainly, no one wants to see two cats and two spacemen up there but without a doubt, although kiss’ career has spanned 4 decades surviving lineup changes and musical trends, the original four is the reason they are being celebrated here, and because of that, ace and peter should be up there with gene and paul…however, if gene and paul are in full makeup and costume and the other two are not, it would look quite ridiculous. as much as I would love to see the original four together again, to hear them, is a different story. in all honesty, who really wants to sit thru a painful rendition of rock n roll all nite? what career defining song would they be playing, along with rock n roll all nite, that will be delivered with any sort of conviction? I honestly think gene and paul may be embarrassed by the current state of chops displayed from pete and ace. me personally, I want to see the original band accept the award, with perhaps a video montage. but to see the original four playing rock and roll all nite as well as what, maybe shout it loud or deuce, I think would elicit responses such as ‘how the hell did these guys get in here????’

14. I always thought the Reunion was a planned thing. Starting with the Unplugged show. Kulick never played with Kiss again. This is just a ploy to welcome a big Surprise at the induction ceremony. I don’t believe a reunion will happen again.

15. Aside from all of the bullshit happening here, I hope at least that Eric Carr is mentioned for his contribution. I met him during the “Hot In The Shade” tour at the hotel they were staying at, and he still had time to give me an autograph, even though he had just got out of the shower, and had just a towel on!! In my book, that puts him in the Hall of Fame right there!

16. I tweeted Paul a few days ago (ignored, of course) that the best thing would be to play without makeup and including both the old and the current members. That way there would be no conflict of who the spacemen and who the cats are. Without makeup, it would simply be a good rock show with good musicians with their own styles celebrating the past, present and future instead of an awkward reunion as it would have otherwise been.

17. I like Ed’s comment above about starting with original members and then adding every member on stage for what else, RnR All Nite. Might steal some thunder from HOF darlings Nirvana. That’s what I’d like to see.

18. I hear a lot of posts saying a medley of kiss songs performed by many members of Kiss is what many want including myself. And this is EXACTLY what Kiss was open to do. They never denied wanting to jam with Ace and Peter not just ONLY with them for reasons Eddie has stated like it would be hard to market the current line up 10 years strong with 2 strong albums of new kiss music. Even by chance if you only liked portions of both albums it was still kiss making new music which shows they still care about creating the music. Again kiss wanted current and Ace and Peter to play and for keeping kiss relevant for 40yrs I think the Hall should have respected that. I love all kiss lineups.proud gene and Paul didn’t let hall bully them into doing only what they wanted after snubbing them 15 years. That’s my opinion.

19. Jason Pinkney says:

I don’t think people would react the same way as they did in 96. That was the first time they had played together as a whole since Peter left the band. Yes I agree that it would put a dent in what kiss is selling us now but it wouldn’t destroy it all together. We know why they are there. We know it would only be for the HOF induction. The unplugged thing was unannounced. No one saw that coming. And again, it was the first time some of us saw them as the original 4. We’ve seen it. Yes we all wish they were all still together but it is what it is. I’m glad there is at least still something to go see.

20. I agree with you Eddie on a lot of this situation. The snub, the fact that no one expects a tour just because the original four play together, and the whole ridiculousness of the HOF all together. But what gripes me the most is finding out they aren’t inducting Eric Carr. He was a huge part of their success in the 80’s and wasn’t he a member of KISS longer than Peter Criss? The mess they’ve all made over the performance has really marred the entire induction for me.

• All members have pretty much been with KISS for around 10 years each. Everyone forgets that Ace and Peter were back for two tours.

21. I’m from Argentina and in April I will go on holiday to New York and was so excited to be able to see the original members of KISS, I feel disappointed, I hope there is an exchange of views on April 10.

22. I don’t care if they play or not but I agree with HOF on inducting only the Original Four, No others had a vote on the direction of KISS all the others were contract employees much like a studio musicians. I believe only Hall and Oates are inducted and not the Band. There is no harm in letting all the members play without makeup but I really doubt they would invite Vinnie or if he would come.

23. I really think Paul holds a grudge against Peter for his remarks in his book. It will be interesting to see what Peter says after the induction is over. I’m guessing he fires back at Paul and Gene.

24. Brooklyn Lori says:

Eddie, I think you’re spot on for the most part. Gene & Paul certainly *do* realize who helped them get to this point, which is why they are, or at least Paul is, so upset with the Hall. As we know, the Hall says only the originals are being honored, but it definitely SHOULD be everyone who has been a member of of the group. I think you have a great idea, if all members would be there, to start with GAPP, then one by one, Vinnie, then Bruce, Eric S., Tommy, all came out to perform. That would be SO freakin awesome!

I was upset initially when I listened to Ace last week, but then calmed down after reading G&P’s press release. I believe all members, including Vinnie, should be inducted, be there, and perform. KISS has always done things their way, and this joke of an “honor” shouldn’t be any different!

25. I think gene and Paul should snub the event.
    I can’t believe anyone would want to be in the same room
    With peter after he wrote that book that makes accusations about
    Everyone in the band execpt him. Maybe peter and ace have kept it together after the farewell tour
    But that doesn’t mean they can perform ace hasn’t even finished a new cd in years and peter sucks at anything he does except complaining and yet he needs to look in the mirror.
    I tip my hat to gene and Paul for staying true to kiss and not getting pushed into a bad place by all these asshole who should of seen them during the reunion tour cause if you saw them from 76. To 81 you would of seen how bad ace and peter were.

• And you don’t think Gene had anything to say about those two in his book? And what do you think Paul will write about? Neither of those two are choir boys. Peter didn’t necessarily lob ‘accusations’ at anyone. He simply wrote his story from how he saw and interpreted it. That’s what an autobiography is all about.

There is no doubt that Gene and Paul screwed him and Ace as well.

26. Eddie, I agree with you 100%. I don’t understand why Gene is perpetuating all this negative about Ace and Peter. Just to bolster his ego I guess.

If those two stubborn f*cks would get it together, this could be a GREAT moment for Gene and Paul but Paul has his knickers in a knot and isn’t letting go.

Reuniting to play a couple of songs would be FABULOUS, THE BEST PUBLICITY FOR KISS, EVER! I think everyone knows that a ‘tour’ wouldn’t be on the books- Gene and Paul should know that WE know this too. Hell, Gene and Paul shouldn’t be out touring. They are both too old to be wearing the makeup on stage- they look ridiculous at this point. No seriously, they do. There comes a time and day when you should accept it, and age with grace and dignity.

If Paul and Gene were to act decent and be decent on the HOF induction and play a couple of songs in Hotter than Hell ‘suits’ (loved Peter in his white saddle shoes) it would be such great publicity for the new KISS too- but those two will be as stubborn as a couple of raccoons fighting over a tipped over trash can.

Unfortunately they will miss a great opportunity to show love to the other founding members, their old fans and new fans. This could be a win-win for Gene and Paul but they’ll never see it.

27. Matt Larsen says:

agreed on everything Eddie has said here…

28. Charles manzanares says:

We don’t care about the marketing,we care about our passion!!

29. Eddie…you state “Ace and Peter” detractors…this is actually looking more like Gene and Paul detractors. The sad thing here is, those that created their “own” problems continue to get a pass from criticism and yet the two people who have kept Kiss alive for 40 years are becoming the enemy. On one foot…Ace and Peter, two people who nearly destroyed the band and on the other, the guys who kept it going. Certainly the shoe has changed to other foot. Or perhaps simply wearing out your welcome. Yeah it would have been great to have the originals do a few songs, I’m sure politics were in full force behind the scenes from both camps…each has played their part for the media. I mean, all parties couldn’t get their story out there fast enough. I’m of the mind it all should have ended with the Farewell tour…as the name implies. And as the name implies, I said my farewell on that tour and have not been back. Still, I love the band. Wish they could come together and give us “something” one last time but that’s just not going to happen. At this point…we should all just support and get behind the fact that Kiss finally made it in the RRHOF. Considering everything the band has battled against from the get go and succeeded…in some ways this is the ultimate battle won against “the” so called musical aristocracy. Time to Army up Kiss fans one last time…whatever side of the fence you reside on.

• Peter and Ace didn’t ‘nearly destroy the band’. This is another silly perception, like P&A’s behavior is why they’re not playing at the HOF. :/

Gene and Paul nearly destroyed the band if you want to look at it that way. Gene and Paul have always been in charge. Ace showed up tanked to his AUDITION. Peter had drug issues from the beginning, YET Paul and Gene kept them in the band until 1980. If these guys were SO bad they should’ve been kicked out by 1975.

• Have you ever played in a band? Anytime people don’t carry their weight the band risks dissolving. You say they should have kicked them out right on the cusp of stardom? Had Gene and Paul done that…game over nobody wins. Before that, the band never gets off the ground. So by 78, Kiss is the biggest band in the world, based on 4 distinct personalities and faces. Kicking a member out by then would have been akin to The Beatles dropping Ringo or George. Wasn’t going to happen. In essence you could say Ace and Peter had carte blanche to do what they wanted at the height of Kiss’s 70’s popularity because nobody was getting outed from the band at that point. So here you are…biggest band in the world and your continued success depends on an alcoholic and a drug addict. Nice.

30. Why not have the original four, in make up, play the songs they did then switch out Tommy and Eric for the songs they were part of, with no make up?

31. Just…PERFECT

32. David Parks says:

They don’t want to tarnish their current line up and marketing plans, business, I totally get it. Let’s face it though, Kiss has always claimed to be about the fans, do you know any fans that do not wanna see this? I wouldnt expect or even want to see a full reunion tour at this point . However if Heart can play with the original line up and the current line up, why cant Kiss, its a few songs. Shout it loud (pun intended) a disclaimer that they will not reunite after this and its a one time thing, FOR THE FANS, THE KISS ARMY! Its down to the wire, this is literally their last shot and one more ka boom but looks like a fizzle. Tell me why cant Peter and Ace atleast do a few tunes with someone like Grohl or something. I would atleast like to see that ! Times up boys, and you’re blowing it.

33. David Parks says:

P.S. I think all members should be inducted.

34. The fans want the original four, the HOF wants the original four, so, do the f’king show, bring as many bombs as possible and show the world who came up with KISS as we all know it and make history again!! Cheers Kiss for 40 Years!

35. I guess good or bad press Gene keeps making money. I am in Portland, Oregon and from Tommy’s perspective I bet he does not give a shit either way, all he knows he is the lead guitarist for his favorite band. (have friend that is good friends with Tommy since high school) it was always his dream to play in Kiss. Can’t blame him because if I had a chance to be in his position, I would be on it faster than you can say KISS. I would say 99% of you would as well. I don’t believe he cares either way what anyone thinks about him playing in the band and wearing Aces make-up.
    The one thing that That Metal Show has opened my eyes about is that a lot of the guests are douche bags and lot are a lot cooler than I ever thought they would be.(Brian Johnson the best). I think if Gene and Paul actually ever did the show, it would confirm they really are the douche bags everyone says they are.
    Congrats to KISS to finally being inducted, the whole band should be inducted, the whole band should perform and after its over the saddle bags with eyes Gene Simmons should go get another face lift. My god, the guy already has enough money, banged enough chicks ( ok banging more chicks is never enough) to put the ego aside one night for the HOF, just be happy and right after do the That Metal Show for free so Don can be like, Hey Gene, roses are red violets are blue if I had a face like a goblin , I would to have wore make-up to bang chicks too.
    KISS just do the right thing and play. It sounds almost like Van-Halen acting like a bunch of little school girls. Love both Bands but almost had enough drama to be done with them both.

Findawg

36. Here’s an idea Ed. Get all 8 members to wear Jon Varvatos suits, no make-up, and just rock the place! Why does H.O.F. want only original members? Ace and Peter haven’t been in KISS for minimum 25 years! There’s more to this than meets the eye. If KISS don’t perform it would be a great shame. I thought “the fans are their bosses”. I’d like to think KISS is being inducted for their music, not their image. ‘Cos of all this controversy,
    maybe KISS should just pull the plug and say to H.O.F. “thanks ,but no thanks”. Please respond to this comment as I am a big fan of yours…from Australia! (KISS fan from ’75, make-up or no make-up)

• Actually Ace and Peter toured in mid 90’s and 2000’s.

• Yes, but they still haven’t been members of KISS for total of 25 years. I think Paul and Gene are somewhat responsible for this. Back then, they should have dropped everything, FORCED Ace and Peter into re-hab, get clean (as they are now), and then continue with KISS, recording and performing and rocking on!….shame.

37. Boy I sure hope ” Culture Club” doesn’t have this problem when they are inducted….sheeeeesh… Joe in The Cuse.

38. Good points Eddie. I never even considered the angle of the current ‘KISS business model’ you mentioned? That is so true. It would be VERY bad for KISS’ business at this point.
    I think the poor horse has now been beaten to death. Now I’ll just wait and hopefully not witness a complete train wreck on April 10th.
    We (the fans) and Ace and Peter deserve better than this.

• Agreed Tony. Unfortunately however, I think Paul and Gene WILL make a train wreck out this.(One of the best live acts in the world not performing live at H.O.F. ?!!!!!) If Paul and Gene don’t get their act together, this could end up becoming an absolute farce.

39. Alex Hawke says:

I totally get the marketing perspective here and we all do indeed know that to Gene and Paul, KISS is a business. Regardless of how much they say they love their fans, they love their money more. If anybody thinks Gene would still tour if he wasn’t getting an ass ton of money, you’re crazy. He wouldn’t go out and do it for the love of the music and the fans like other less high profile acts of the 70s and 80’s still do.

This is one time when you say, business be damned, let’s give the fans what they want and let it go at that. A couple songs and call it a day. Ace does New York Groove, Peter does Beth, and then they all get together for a Rock n Roll All Nite or Detroit Rock City jam with the original 4, and Eric, Tommy, and Bruce….talk about a fun time for the fans!

The reunion talk would be a frenzy level for awhile but it would die down eventually like it has over the years since the unplugged show for MTV.

40. The best thing about KISS/HOF at this stage is reading your posts, Eddie. Not only that I agree 100% with everything you posted since last weekend, it is also good to know this place is open for every kind of opinion if it is presented in a more or less proper way.

I feel emotionally hurt by what is going on. I always loved Ace and have met him two times. I think he is a muscial genius (not only in KISS, but also as a solo artist) and I cannot imagine where he would/could be today without his excesses. So, I would have loved to see him one more time with the other guys, and I DO think Gene and Paul could easily explain that this would not lead to a reunion of the four original guys.

41. Since the band isnt playing, they should get Mini-KISS to play in their place. That would be pretty cool! ;)

42. FreakAzoid says:

“I am curious if they all show up”

This is like asking if Steven Adler was going to GNR induction ceremony: bet your ass Ace and Peter will be there just to show the world how lame and pathetic their lives after KISS are and how “Gene and Paul”fucked up the reunion” . It is a never ending story we have heard long enough.

By the way, the only winning party in all this mess is the ROF. After all the dissing through all the years from Eddie Trunk and rock fans, now they sure feel vindicated from all the atention and whining. Kudos!

43. I wrote a letter to the HOF Foundation to allow Ace & Peter to perform without makeup and without Gene and Paul… just like GnR did without Axl. Yup paper & ink, with my signature, and a freaking STAMP.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
    1290 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10104

PLEASE NOTE: The Museum does not manage the Hall of Fame induction process; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation does. The Museum preserves and interprets the history and cultural impact of rock and roll music through the collection of artifacts, its exhibits and education and public programs.

44. Fred Nugent says:

Why don’t Ace and Peter start their own band get a Gene and Paul Stanley look a like and call the band Cold Gin or Beth, They would pull in a third of the Kiss audience I’m sure they would sell out 2-3000 seat venues.

45. Carman Jeffery says:

Great piece man. This actually helped me to understand it a little more. Thank you.

46. The only big deal for me is that when a group is inducted in the HOF, ALL the Members that have performed on any albums SHOULD BE INCLUDED up to their induction. Obviously the Ace/Peter/Paul/Gene lineup is a given, but Eric C., Bruce, Vinnie, Mark, Tommy and Eric S. all were members too. I bring up Metallica’s induction as an example: If KISS’ original members are the only ones being inducted, then that would mean Jason Newsted and Rob Trujillo shouldn’t have been inducted as they weren’t original members. The HOF should not be able to pick and choose who in a particular group should get inducted. As far as a performance, if there are problems with the makeup issue: Sans makeup! Ace is rocking the beard anyways, why shave it to put on makeup for a one-off appearance anyway? No makeup, do a song or 3 with various members, bow, see ya later, done.

• I wrote a similar post….totally agree with you. Maybe someone high up in the ranks will take notice of us!

47. Shame to me that Eric Carr was included in nominations. Shame on you HOF.

48. Listen to what Gene Simmons has to say about the RRHOF infuction from about 54 minutes in this interview: http://tradiov.com/la/videos/the-michael-des-barres-show-with-gene-simmons-2-27-14/

He sounds pretty positive. :)

49. Michael Garry says:

If the RRHOF isn’t willing to induct Eric Carr, it just shows that they don’t know enough or care enough about KISS to begin with. The fan’s voting is just a way for them to compile demographics, for free, so they can plan their own marketing strategy. What I want to see is all surviving members of KISS inducted and for them all to perform without makeup. KISS fans know what they all look like and I was hoping they could let it just be about the music for one night.

50. I can honestly say that the first record I ever bought with my own money in 1976, was from a little known band called Judas Priest, the album was Sin after Sin…..long before I ever bought a Kiss record..